Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Alan de Enfield

Boxing Day Meet.

Featured Posts

Just now, LadyG said:

I'm not sure what you mean, the hunt followers have no function other than helping to fund the hunt.

It's a simple question. You have a "hunt", you have "hunt followers" who apparently aren't hunters. Who are the hunters?

2 minutes ago, eid said:

It's a simple question. You have a "hunt", you have "hunt followers" who apparently aren't hunters. Who are the hunters?

I don't have a hunt btw, its a long time since I went followed the The Hunt, and each Hunt eg The Bilsdale, The Hurworth etc etc had its own huntsman and its own hound pack. The Catterick Beagles hunted on foot as far as  I know they still do, ditto Lakeland hunts, which also hunt on foot.

From the Google:

Hunters are people who are searching for things of a particular kind.

A hunter is also a type of horse trained to be calm and bold and to carry an adult, able to cross natural obstacles which would be expected in the country they hunt in.

3 hours ago, mark99 said:

Well it's now illegal so something has worked.

Extremes happen on both sides. Cancelled each other out. So that leaves what society wants. Its banned and illegal. 

Well, I don't think it has stopped, the Law was changed by Act of Parliament,, but hunting continues in a modified way.

The police used to use Hillman Hunters to go ahunting in, they called em Q cars I think.

5 minutes ago, bizzard said:

The police used to use Hillman Hunters to go ahunting in, they called em Q cars I think.

bizzard, shops are open, are you not popping down to Aldi to get your fitness bike leggings before they all sell out?

https://www.aldi.co.uk/fitness-biker-leggings-/p/086497263565903

and undersized guitars are half price!

Edited by LadyG
  • Unimpressed 1

10 minutes ago, LadyG said:

From the Google:

Hunters are people who are searching for things of a particular kind.

A hunter is also a type of horse trained to be calm and bold and to carry an adult, able to cross natural obstacles which would be expected in the country they hunt in.

Thanks. Would you kindly provide me with a link to where you copied that from?

7 minutes ago, eid said:

Thanks. Would you kindly provide me with a link to where you copied that from?

The first line came from google, it's there somewhere under "hunter" and "define", the second line is  from my own cerebellum.

Maybe just cut and paste the line and use the search engine.

Edited by LadyG

1 hour ago, Athy said:

A more efficient method of travel than narrowboating exists. Yet we do not always choose to use it. Hence my reference to a non sequitur.

An impressively obscure term but not really applicable to my comment, even more so after an explanation was given. 

3 minutes ago, LadyG said:

The first line came from google, it's there somewhere under "hunter" and "define", the second line is  from my own cerebellum.

It's actually from the Collins website, which your post shows.

I was just perplexed that you seem to have only partially quoted it, cherry picking definitions which fit your (claimed neutral) purpose. It even seems you were inspired to write your own definition of the "Hunter horse", rather that just quote the one already there in front of you:

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/hunter

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

countable noun
A hunter is a person who hunts wild animals for food or as a sport.
The hunters stalked their prey.
...a deer hunter.
2. countable noun [noun NOUN]
People who are searching for things of a particular kind are often referred to as hunters.
...job-hunters.
...treasure hunters.
3.  See also bargain hunter, headhunter
4. countable noun
A hunter is a type of fast strong horse that is used in Britain by people who hunt foxes.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You say that "hunt followers" are not in for the kill. I'm trying to establish who, if not the followers, are responsible here, as you seem to be saying no one is; they're all just followers.

Whether of not you "go for the kill", you are part of, supporting, and gaining pleasure from this "sport" (I notice you have now edited your post admitting that followers do actually have an active role. I'm sure they don't enjoy it though eh?)

If you want a day out in the country, I highly recommend you take up one of the many outdoor pursuits that millions of others enjoy which don't have an end goal of an animal being torn to pieces.
  • Greenie 3
  • Love 1

7 minutes ago, BWM said:

An impressively obscure term but not really applicable to my comment, even more so after an explanation was given. 

Yes, many people have no idea what a "narrowboat" is.:D

I feel it's totally applicable, but if you don't, we can agree to differ.

13 minutes ago, Athy said:

Yes, many people have no idea what a "narrowboat" is.:D

I feel it's totally applicable, but if you don't, we can agree to differ.

We can agree to differ but the correct use of the English language won't. 

1 hour ago, bizzard said:

Z Cars :)

Now THAT was a good show...

1 hour ago, eid said:

It's actually from the Collins website, which your post shows.

I was just perplexed that you seem to have only partially quoted it, cherry picking definitions which fit your (claimed neutral) purpose. It even seems you were inspired to write your own definition of the "Hunter horse", rather that just quote the one already there in front of you:

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/hunter

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

countable noun
A hunter is a person who hunts wild animals for food or as a sport.
The hunters stalked their prey.
...a deer hunter.
2. countable noun [noun NOUN]
People who are searching for things of a particular kind are often referred to as hunters.
...job-hunters.
...treasure hunters.
3.  See also bargain hunter, headhunter
4. countable noun
A hunter is a type of fast strong horse that is used in Britain by people who hunt foxes.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You say that "hunt followers" are not in for the kill. I'm trying to establish who, if not the followers, are responsible here, as you seem to be saying no one is; they're all just followers.

Whether of not you "go for the kill", you are part of, supporting, and gaining pleasure from this "sport" (I notice you have now edited your post admitting that followers do actually have an active role. I'm sure they don't enjoy it though eh?)

If you want a day out in the country, I highly recommend you take up one of the many outdoor pursuits that millions of others enjoy which don't have an end goal of an animal being torn to pieces.

If you bothered to read my posts rather than  trying to pick a fight with me, you would see where I am coming from.

So like every good interrogator you only ask questions to which you know the answer :)

bye

essentially hunt followers are not essential, I am sure there are books where can learn about it, I just  think you don't want to know, Maybe you just want to fight with someone, but not with me, I am running out of patience, enjoy your day.

I trust you are a vegan, and no animals are killed for your eating pleasure, and of course you don't have pets of any shape or form, and all your sports are non combative, and involve only adults as kiddies are so impressionable, no cosmetics tested on animals, no products by Nestle and so on, you don't buy clothes where the ethos is questionable, you can't drive a car because that means you are asset stripping the planet, good luck with minimalism.

Edited by LadyG
why ask for the meaning of a word if it is obvious.
  • Unimpressed 1

31 minutes ago, BWM said:

We can agree to differ but the correct use of the English language won't. 

That's quite right. There are quite a few Latin expressions which are often used in English, you know - in fact you could say that there is (or are) a modicum of them. In fact I noticed one being used in a T.V. advert only half an hour ago: de facto. Their use is generally accepted to be correct English.

31 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Z Cars :)

Now THAT was a good show...

But the cars were Fords.

Zephyrs, Zodiacs, weren't they?

:unsure:

3 hours ago, LadyG said:

< snip > I'm not here to defend hunting < snip >

Well, you could have fooled me.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

the cars were Fords.

Yup. I often wondered if that’s where the ‘Z’ came from. 

9 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

But the cars were Fords.

:unsure:

In the television series,, yes, Ford Zephyrs, but Bizzard was referring to real-life police cars, some of which were indeed Hillman Hunters if I remember correctly. His use of "Q car" is also appropriate: these were cars which looked standard and which were unmarked, but which in fact had a raised specification - more powerful engine, that sort of thing. The expression followed on from "Q ships" in WW2, which looked like ordinary merchant vessels (and thus would attract German hunting ships) but which in fact had concealed gun (and thus could attack and sink them). The "Q" was short for Queenstown, the Irish naval base which was their original home port..

Edited by Athy

Scene: Ripple Infants School. Early 1960s. It is morning assembly.

Mrs Platt, Headteacher: "Stand up all those who watched Z Cars on the television last night." (Two dozen or so pupils stand, self included) "You need to tell your parents you are staying up too late and you need to get to bed earlier"

They don't make 'em like her any more.

17 minutes ago, Athy said:

That's quite right. There are quite a few Latin expressions which are often used in English, you know - in fact you could say that there is (or are) a modicum of them. In fact I noticed one being used in a T.V. advert only half an hour ago: de facto. Their use is generally accepted to be correct English.

ipso facto ?

6 minutes ago, LadyG said:

ipso facto ?

No, in fact I'm perfectly sober at the moment.:P

Ergo, I can say that you're absolutely right.

Edited by Athy

7 minutes ago, Athy said:

No, in fact I'm perfectly sober at the moment.:P

Ergo, I can say that you're absolutely right.

no secateurs then ..... quia horulanus esset

2 minutes ago, LadyG said:

no secateurs then ..... quia horulanus esset

You snipped the first bit from my earlier post?

The second half, I must admit, is not a phrase with which I'm familiar. A-googling I shall go....

3 minutes ago, Athy said:

You snipped the first bit from my earlier post?

The second half, I must admit, is not a phrase with which I'm familiar. A-googling I shall go....

I kinda bastardised the phrase, as i have only recalled amo amas amat , amamus amatus amant, the esse thing, is something with which I am still struggling.......... 

10 hours ago, LadyG said:

Why would a farmer pay some nutter to shoot foxes rather than  do it himself?

Where did I say he was paid, he had permission to shoot, a very different thing. Oh and unlike you he is not a nutter.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Where did I say he was paid, he had permission to shoot, a very different thing. Oh and unlike you he is not a nutter.

quod erat demonstrandum

Edited by LadyG