Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Alan de Enfield

Boxing Day Meet.

Featured Posts

22 minutes ago, BWM said:

A sad pastime, which i hope is banned in its entirety soon. 

Good fun,isn't it?

image.jpg

image.jpg

48985066_1807739189336848_18900554157905

• Greenie 1

Hunting in the UK is so incredibly inefficient, quite apart from the ridiculous baggage that comes with it, hunting pink, MFH etc. I grew up living on a huge country estate, where the owner employed gamekeepers to keep down the fox population, which was done with a gun, and very effectively too. The local hunt was allowed to hunt there, once. The sensible fox lead the hunt over the landowner’s front lawn, and the hunters were stupid enough to follow the hounds, causing the destruction of a perfectly lovely lawn. The hunt was promptly banned in perpetuity from hunting on estate land. 

• Love 3

I guess Hunting is as divisive as Brexit - but - as I'm sure you all know the hounds are no longer allowed to hunt the fox and just follow a 'smelly rag'.

Much of the Hunt is Pomp, Ceremony and tradition, not the small part of chasing Reynard.

If you have ever been to a bullfight it is an awful lot worse than a fox hunt with zero chance of the Bull escaping.

Cruelty - the bull is stabbed and is bleeding to death with the 'lances' held in place by the barbs, so every time it moves the barbs twist and start the blood flowing, the Bull is half-way dead before the Matador even gets to 'challenge it'

• Greenie 1

Indeed. 

Although people prefer to believe what is said in the press rather than go and see their local hunt and find out what it is all about.

It will be a shame when all of our country traditions have died out due to a few offended snowflakes ☹️

I will not pass comment on this. It makes Brexit look non contentious.

4 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I will not pass comment on this. It makes Brexit look non contentious.

Bexit isn't contentious. We leave on the 29th March.

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Bexit isn't contentious. We leave on the 29th March.

In yer dreams innitt!!

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, alan_fincher said:

Good fun,isn't it?

image.jpg

image.jpg

48985066_1807739189336848_18900554157905

This was very much on my mind when I posted, and exposes the lie that the hunts of today are chasing a dragged scent trail.

1 hour ago, Stilllearning said:

Hunting in the UK is so incredibly inefficient, quite apart from the ridiculous baggage that comes with it, hunting pink, MFH etc. I grew up living on a huge country estate, where the owner employed gamekeepers to keep down the fox population, which was done with a gun, and very effectively too. The local hunt was allowed to hunt there, once. The sensible fox lead the hunt over the landowner’s front lawn, and the hunters were stupid enough to follow the hounds, causing the destruction of a perfectly lovely lawn. The hunt was promptly banned in perpetuity from hunting on estate land. 

If foxes are a genuine pest then the gun is the only method of control that approaches humane despatch. 

52 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I guess Hunting is as divisive as Brexit - but - as I'm sure you all know the hounds are no longer allowed to hunt the fox and just follow a 'smelly rag'.

Much of the Hunt is Pomp, Ceremony and tradition, not the small part of chasing Reynard.

If you have ever been to a bullfight it is an awful lot worse than a fox hunt with zero chance of the Bull escaping.

Cruelty - the bull is stabbed and is bleeding to death with the 'lances' held in place by the barbs, so every time it moves the barbs twist and start the blood flowing, the Bull is half-way dead before the Matador even gets to 'challenge it'

Suggesting bull fighting is worse is disingenuous, there are many documented acts of cruelty carried out by those intimately connected to the hunts, and is akin to saying being done over the head with a lead pipe is preferable to being stabbed. 

32 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Indeed. 

Although people prefer to believe what is said in the press rather than go and see their local hunt and find out what it is all about.

It will be a shame when all of our country traditions have died out due to a few offended snowflakes ☹️

The term snowflake is a fairly vacuous response to many points of view that are hard to defend, and as such is meaningless. What is your take on hare coursing, cock fighting, etc? These were once regarded as traditions. 

11 minutes ago, Laurie.Booth said:

Along with fishing.

I struggle to place angling in the same category as the wanton cruelty that is fox hunting, and have personal experience of many occasions of pollution and illegal netting being reported by anglers. Many of today's rivers would be devoid of life without the campaigning of various angling organisations, with the Thames having recovered from near extinction on the lower reaches by the mid eighties-which sadly has been undermined by regular discharges of raw effluent from the Hampton court area.

• Greenie 3
  • Love 1

I have no problem with hunting with dogs. It is after all what very many common breeds in the UK were bred for in the first instance. 

If it offended few snowflakes, so be it.

I think people get offended far too easily in this day and age. And you will find that very many who vigorously campaign against hunting have never even stepped foot into the countryside and witnessed its traditions. 

• Greenie 2

Put the rag on the back of my coat and let the dogs chase me guys,that way the beautiful 🦊 will live and you’ll get rid of me and my boring jokes forever 🤪🤪

34 minutes ago, Laurie.Booth said:

Along with fishing.

Surely not as sad as Golf!! :o

• Greenie 3

Just now, mrsmelly said:

Surely not as sad as Golf!! :o

Oh we’re not all marching to save the bloody golf balls now are we?

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

I have no problem with hunting with dogs. It is after all what very many common breeds in the UK were bred for in the first instance. 

I think people get offended far too easily in this day and age. And you will find that very many who vigorously campaign against hunting have never even stepped foot into the countryside and witnessed its traditions. 

These are hounds dear :)., and not many couples, there may be more out of shot.

Edited by LadyG

8 minutes ago, LadyG said:

These are hounds dear :)., and not many couples, there may be more out of shot.

They have about 20 couples, they exercise past our drive most days.

They'd often stop for a mug of tea and a bacon butty (not the hounds) one day MFH happened to visit us and 'caught them in the act' he decided he'd have a bacon butty as well.

22 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Your use of the term snowflake is creating a mighty drift of nothing, and brings little in the way of discussion. 

To use an analogy in answer to your statement that those not fortunate enough to live in our wonderful countryside, can hold no valid opinion on animal abuse taking place there, would you need to have gone for a beer with Jimmy Savile to decide that child abuse was abhorrent?

• Greenie 1

As probably the only lady on here who had hunters and went hunting and did a bit if farming, I won't bore you all with clarification.

all  I 'd say, when I was out working our racehorses on narrow roads, a van tried to run us off the road [we were not going hunting]

They went on to break the arm of an older lady who happened to get in their way. She was pretty shaken up. Nothing to do with hunting or our racehorses.

15 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

They have about 20 couples, they exercise past our drive most days.

They'd often stop for a mug of tea and a bacon butty (not the hounds) one day MFH happened to visit us and 'caught them in the act' he decided he'd have a bacon butty as well.

Yes, they will have 20 couple in total, but generally keep the sexes separate when hunting,  so normally either a bitch pack or dog pack,  I think. I don't know a lot about it, I preferred The Bilsdale, up in the forest and the moors, not much jumping, and no fancy dress.

I probably would not do it now, but it was OK, the horse enjoyed it. A few hairy moments. I never saw a fox killed by hounds. Most killing for pest control would be done in response to farmer requests.

If you galloped across a ley you would be asked to go home, and no way would one ever be anywhere near a lawn, except for a "lawn meet", which meant port 'n brandy at 10.45 am. You would not go on someone's lawn, not ever.

Edited by LadyG

16 minutes ago, LadyG said:

As probably the only lady on here who had hunters and went hunting and did a bit if farming, I won't bore you all with clarification.

all  I 'd say, when I was out working our racehorses on narrow roads, a van tried to run us off the road [we were not going hunting]

They went on to break the arm of an older lady who happened to get in their way. She was pretty shaken up. Nothing to do with hunting or our racehorses.

Yes, they will have 20 couple in total, but generally keep the sexes separate when hunting,  so normally either a bitch pack or dog pack,  I think. I don't know a lot about it, I preferred The Bilsdale, up in the forest and the moors, not much jumping, and no fancy dress.

I probably would not do it now, but it was OK, the horse enjoyed it. A few hairy moments. I never saw a fox killed by hounds. Most killing for pest control would be done in response to farmer requests.

If you galloped across a ley you would be asked to go home, and no way would one ever be anywhere near a lawn, except for a "lawn meet", which meant port 'n brandy at 10.45 am. You would not go on someone's lawn, not ever.

Indeed. But that doesn't stop a few people spreading make believe stories to make hunts sound truly awful.

We were lucky growing up to have several local hunts we could attend.

We did keep horses but never attended  hunt by horse. Point to point was more our scene.

20 minutes ago, BWM said:

Your use of the term snowflake is creating a mighty drift of nothing, and brings little in the way of discussion. 

To use an analogy in answer to your statement that those not fortunate enough to live in our wonderful countryside, can hold no valid opinion on animal abuse taking place there, would you need to have gone for a beer with Jimmy Savile to decide that child abuse was abhorrent?

And comparing Jimmy Saville to a fox hunt brings what to the discussion snowflake?

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

Indeed. But that doesn't stop a few people spreading make believe stories to make hunts sound truly awful.

We were lucky growing up to have several local hunts we could attend.

We did keep horses but never attended  hunt by horse. Point to point was more our scene.

And comparing Jimmy Saville to a fox hunt brings what to the discussion snowflake?

I can only assume that is a deliberate dodge of the very obvious point i made.

Is your vocabulary really so stilted that you can only repeat snowflake endlessly, in the way of an absurd, Hary Krishna like chant?

Edited by BWM
  • Greenie 1