Advice Please On Toilets and baths

Peter009

Featured Posts

Another question which I am a bit confused about when looking for a shower that I am going to put over a small hip bath which is now the decision I am going for.  We have a surecal calorifier, dual coil with immersion and will be using a webasto diesel boiler along with some sort of water pump from the main water supply when connected, do I need to get a thermoplastic shower to regulate the heat of the water or is that not needed, ideally I would really just like to get a straight forward shower mixer with taps but I dont know if I should get one with a thermostatic element or not, I understand that the temperature can be set by the surecal but not entirely sure would really appreciate it if someone could advise on this as it is baffling me a bit thanks

1 minute ago, Peter009 said:

Another question which I am a bit confused about when looking for a shower that I am going to put over a small hip bath which is now the decision I am going for.  We have a surecal calorifier, dual coil with immersion and will be using a webasto diesel boiler along with some sort of water pump from the main water supply when connected, do I need to get a thermoplastic shower to regulate the heat of the water or is that not needed, ideally I would really just like to get a straight forward shower mixer with taps but I dont know if I should get one with a thermostatic element or not, I understand that the temperature can be set by the surecal but not entirely sure would really appreciate it if someone could advise on this as it is baffling me a bit thanks

I have our cauliflower (calorifier) set at 85 degrees C, this means that when it is 'diluted' by cold water I get more 'warm' water per tank than having it set colder.

My boat shower is a Mira 'domestic thermostatic' type and works as well as our 'home' showers.

IMG_20160131_132835.jpg

9 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I have our cauliflower (calorifier) set at 85 degrees C, this means that when it is 'diluted' by cold water I get more 'warm' water per tank than having it set colder.

My boat shower is a Mira 'domestic thermostatic' type and works as well as our 'home' showers.

IMG_20160131_132835.jpg

That's the one we have got. The engine heats our cauliflower to a high temp so we need the thermostatic control on the shower. 

For safety I always fit a thermostatic mixer. I also have a thermostat on the feed to all other hot taps so that the calorifier can run at full engine temperature but not scald anyone using hot water.

For sheltered, senior and medical accomodation the law demands a maximum shower water temperature of 43 degrees C.

The washing machine is also controlled to fill with water at 40 degrees C., saves electricity heating from cold.

Edited by Boater Sam
added more

On 30/12/2018 at 23:23, Peter009 said:

Not needed, just set the surecal thermostatic valve to ideal shower temperature and then have basic mixer taps in the shower and then you only have to use the hot tap when in the shower. Thermostatic shower valves also reduce flow so by not having one you will save money and have a more powerful shower.

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, Cas446 said:

Not needed, just set the surecal thermostatic valve to ideal shower temperature and then have basic mixer taps in the shower and then you only have to use the hot tap when in the shower. Thermostatic shower valves also reduce flow so by not having one you will save money and have a more powerful shower.

How does that work if Mrs Bob likes her shower hotter than mine and the grandchildren like much cooler showers? A thermostatic shower valve allows more flexibility and cant complain about the power of our shower. Not far off the power of the power shower at home using a parmax 2.9.

7 minutes ago, Cas446 said:

I'm afraid I don't agree - I think being able to quickly and easily adjust the temperature at the shower is important. So I prefer to have a thermostatic shower mixer. You'll waste tons of water trying to balance the heat to what you want if you just have a hot/cold scenario, then if you turn off the water to lather up, you'll have to set it all again.