Boat swap

WiseOwl

Featured Posts

Would anyone be interested in boat swapping for short periods of time at all? 

For example, a couple has a weekend on our 57ft boat moored near Normanton and in return we have a weekend on a different boat.

This may not make sense to some but I think it would be a great way to see different parts of the canals for people who are not retired and cannot cruise them all.

Personally, I would be happy even it was static only.

No cost involved from either end, just a clear set of handover instructions needed.

Let me know your opinions.

7 minutes ago, WiseOwl said:

Would anyone be interested in boat swapping for short periods of time at all? 

For example, a couple has a weekend on our 57ft boat moored near Normanton and in return we have a weekend on a different boat.

This may not make sense to some but I think it would be a great way to see different parts of the canals for people who are not retired and cannot cruise them all.

Personally, I would be happy even it was static only.

No cost involved from either end, just a clear set of handover instructions needed.

Let me know your opinions.

Ok, lets leave aside all the questions of trust, insurance etc, others will be along to discuss those.

I would (I'm speaking theoretically here) only be interested in such an arrangement in order to explore the northern network. My 70' boat cannot access those waters while a 57' one could.

So short periods - say a week - would not be of much interest to me. We are retired by the way.

31 minutes ago, frahkn said:

Ok, lets leave aside all the questions of trust, insurance etc, others will be along to discuss those.

I would (I'm speaking theoretically here) only be interested in such an arrangement in order to explore the northern network. My 70' boat cannot access those waters while a 57' one could.

So short periods - say a week - would not be of much interest to me. We are retired by the way.

Absolutely some crucial points here. As a minimum requirement it would have to be:

-BSS certificate

-Insurance

-Licence

-Proof of ID

I would not know what to suggest for trust. Letting strangers onto your boat or even home, to some may seem crazy but it should be rewarding for both parties. To be able to see new waterways and areas etc. I guess there would have to be some tractability needed; passport/proof of identification, trusted member on here maybe?

If both could accommodate and agree on the length needed then that would be great. I could probably just about stretch a week with time booked off work but I guess in this case it would not work for us both. 

3 minutes ago, WiseOwl said:

Absolutely some crucial points here. As a minimum requirement it would have to be:

-BSS certificate

-Insurance

-Licence

-Proof of ID

I would not know what to suggest for trust. Letting strangers onto your boat or even home, to some may seem crazy but it should be rewarding for both parties. To be able to see new waterways and areas etc. I guess there would have to be some tractability needed; passport/proof of identification, trusted member on here maybe?

If both could accommodate and agree on the length needed then that would be great. I could probably just about stretch a week with time booked off work but I guess in this case it would not work for us both. 

Yes, trust is a major issue.

We spend about half the year on the boat so I have a lot of gear  clothes, tools etc duplicated on the boat and at home. The sheer bother of inventorying(?) these would probably put me off before I even thought of other things. Listing my boat's systems, their foibles and so on is another issue.

In theory this would be a good idea but the practical problems would (for me) be too difficult to overcome. For example, each swap would be preceded by a nightmare 3 days in which my wife insisted in cleaning the boat in awesome detail (I have a private arrangement with my daughter to limit her visits for exactly this reason).

Of course this might not be the case for others.:)

2 minutes ago, frahkn said:

In theory this would be a good idea but the practical problems would (for me) be too difficult to overcome. For example, each swap would be preceded by a nightmare 3 days in which my wife insisted in cleaning the boat in awesome detail (I have a private arrangement with my daughter to limit her visits for exactly this reason).

We used to have a (house) cleaner come in twice a week, and the day before SWMBO would have a mad-cleaning-day as she didn't want the cleaner to think we were 'dirty'.

Go Figure !!!

9 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

We used to have a (house) cleaner come in twice a week, and the day before SWMBO would have a mad-cleaning-day as she didn't want the cleaner to think we were 'dirty'.

Go Figure !!!

You are not alone in that. We no longer have a cleaner for that very reason. Go Figure indeed!!

Came across a boater a few years ago who was part of a private syndicate that regularly swapped boats amongst each other. It appeared to work well, it appeared to be a good way of seeing the system especially for people who were still working and did not have the chance to do long cruises to get to far flung parts!

2 hours ago, frahkn said:

Hey, that's Mrs Bob you're also talking about!

I think in principle it would be a good idea, especially if it meant seeing other parts of the network - ie the north but would need to be 2-3 weeks rather than a few days.