a reasonable offer.

Clanky

Featured Posts

20 hours ago, yabasayo said:

Generally the bigger and flashier the brokerage the more commission they charge ie in addition to paying for the boat, you are paying a penalty for the salesman's salary, his secretary, his office and his company's profit etc. 

The buyer does not  necessarily pay more for a boat on brokerage.

It is the vendor who pays the broker .

6 minutes ago, MartynG said:

It was 10% deposit paid prior to survey that was under discussion, not commission.

They have also never charged 10% deposit.

They do however give a full and complete refund of deposit if 10% or more of the value of the boat is needed in repairs following the buyers survey. 

• Greenie 1

34 minutes ago, matty40s said:

They do however give a full and complete refund of deposit if 10% or more of the value of the boat is needed in repairs following the buyers survey. 

Did Jinna misunderstand in post #1 ?

2 hours ago, MartynG said:

The buyer does not  necessarily pay more for a boat on brokerage.

It is the vendor who pays the broker .

Really ? The only source of cash in the transaction is from the buyer. I think you will find that the buyer pays the cash to the broker who then deducts his commission and passes whats left to the seller.

19 minutes ago, yabasayo said:

Really ? The only source of cash in the transaction is from the buyer. I think you will find that the buyer pays the cash to the broker who then deducts his commission and passes whats left to the seller.

When you buy at auction you typically pay a 'buyers premium' (20% + VAT is not uncommon) so you buy at the hammer price of say £20,000 but as the BUYER you actually pay £24,800. The Auctioneer gets paid the £4,800 by the buyer.

When you buy from a 'broker' the buyer pays the 'asking price' and the seller then pays the brokers charges from the sales income. So, it is the seller who pays the broker - NOT the buyer.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

18 minutes ago, yabasayo said:

Yeas .. really .

When the boat is placed with the broker the vendor agrees to pay the broker a percentage of the sum paid for the boat.

The broker may well handle the money in the way you describe . There is no buyers commission.

49 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Yeas .. really .

When the boat is placed with the broker the vendor agrees to pay the broker a percentage of the sum paid for the boat.

The broker may well handle the money in the way you describe . There is no buyers commission.

Maybe Yassy has never actually bought a boat so isn't aware of the procedure because these £2 million of boats were bought by an imaginary friend.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

14 hours ago, matty40s said:

Ok, apologies, i have just watched the video again and i did misunderstand the Rugby boats chap as he never actually said 10% deposit. He did say 2, 3 , 4 thousand pound deposit.. Video is here, from 6.20 on is the bit i heard.  But the fact is on a 60 grand boat if it needs any work doing to it it has be in excess of six grand before you can safely say no to the deal to get your deposit back. 

12 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Can you explain then your maths ?

You have saved over £100,000.

If the brokerage fee is 5 % 

Then £100,000 is 5% of what you have spent.

Therefore what you have spent is over £2,000,000 on boats.

Broker fees are typically between 6% and 10% plus VAT.

I have bought and sold 9 boats ie 18 transactions on which brokerage fees would have been charged.

£100k divided by 18 = £5.5k

If £5.5 represents 6% plus vat then the average boat value is 5.5 - (5.5 x 0.2) = 4.44x 100/6 = £75k.

In fact my most recent boat sold for £185k.

Before you repeat that broker commission does not apply to the buyer (which is exactly what the broker wants you to believe ) I will explain again.

The buyer is the only source of cash in the sales and purchase transaction. In the transaction there is no other source of cash. The broker adds his commission to the price that the seller is willing to accept and the buyer pays for the boat plus the brokers commission. To pretend otherwise is delusional. (Are you a broker by any chance ?)

11 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Maybe Yassy has never actually bought a boat so isn't aware of the procedure because these £2 million of boats were bought by an imaginary friend.

Farcebook ?

7 minutes ago, yabasayo said:

I have bought and sold 9 boats ie 18 transactions on which brokerage fees would have been charged.

If £5.5 represents 6% plus vat then the average boat value is 5.5 - (5.5 x 0.2) = 4.44x 100/6 = £75k.

Before you repeat that broker commission does not apply to the buyer (which is exactly what the broker wants you to believe ) I will explain again.

The buyer is the only source of cash in the sales and purchase transaction. In the transaction there is no other source of cash. The broker adds his commission to the price that the seller is willing to accept and the buyer pays for the boat plus the brokers commission. To pretend otherwise is delusional. (Are you a broker by any chance ?)

In your calculation above you are calculation a commission on both the  vendor and the purchaser , which is not correct. But since you have never used a brokerage you would not know. 

29 minutes ago, Jinna said:

Ok, apologies, i have just watched the video again and i did misunderstand the Rugby boats chap as he never actually said 10% deposit. He did say 2, 3 , 4 thousand pound deposit.. Video is here, from 6.20 on is the bit i heard.  But the fact is on a 60 grand boat if it needs any work doing to it it has be in excess of six grand before you can safely say no to the deal to get your deposit back. 

If they want to sell a boat they may accept £1k initial deposit prior to survey and a bigger deposit a few days after the survey report. 

Your surveyor may well find defects .  It seems inevitable . i am fairly sure boats create their own faults while they are advertised for sale

Without being picky about trivial faults you may be able to reduce your offer to reflect significant faults.

In any case, even if good  survey report is provided,  you should have in mind a reserve of say £2k to deal with faults such a s new batteries being required and servicing  costs within the first months of ownership.  

I bought my present boat with repairable defects but I negotiated a reduced price which just about covered the costs .  Anyone expecting to find a boat free of defects may take a very long time to find it.

Hi there,

Can i just say that you wanted to know what to offer on 70k we looked for over a year and a half for our floating home and we did as suggested, popped in these cheeky offers.

Now this can work Mrsmelly can attest to that and he had a total steal on his boat, its very nice and well kitted out but thats id say the exception not the norm.

We tried to haggle alot and it is without question a sellers market due to inflated prices and people paying asking and above....

Be sensible...try the cheeky offer but be prepared to pay the asking price as you may well have to......plus survey plus insurance plus licence....

Sorry to be the doom and gloomer but that's the reality of the situation most of the time..

Ask tho, that offer may be accepted, ours wasnt and lost boats in minutes at least 7 or 8 times as people just gave asking. we gave 2k under the asking for this boat after alot of negotiation and the risk of loosing it.

It will happen and the rewards are huge if its for you ?

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, yabasayo said:

The brokers commission isn’t paid by the buyer. To pretend otherwise is delusional?

1 hour ago, Jinna said:

As I posted earlier, this is all negotiable, it needs to be. If you were asking Rugby to sell your boat for say, £70,000 and a potential buyer offered £69,000 subject to survey, but would not agree to a £6,900 deposit, nor to a deposit retention. You would be pretty p***** o** if Rugby could not come to some alternative solution. So they can and do.

This is what happened when I bought my boat from Rugby......Im not imagining it!

4 hours ago, MartynG said:

In your calculation above you are calculation a commission on both the  vendor and the purchaser , which is not correct. But since you have never used a brokerage you would not know. 

No idea how you reach that conclusion which is obviously incorrect.

Each of my 9 boats has been sold twice, once to me and once by me.

4 hours ago, yabasayo said:

The broker adds his commission to the price that the seller is willing to accept and the buyer pays for the boat plus the brokers commission. To pretend otherwise is delusional.

I must be delusional then. When I sold through a broker I asked what he reckoned a realistic selling price was for that boat. He gave his opinion which was broadly in line with my own estimation, and that’s what it was marketed at. I, the seller, then paid his commission out of the sales proceeds. 

To suggest that the price was inflated to add the broker’s commission is delusional. 

• Greenie 2

I haven’t a clue in boat prices

we put Jambo Rafiki on brokerage in sept this year. For £99000

then after a offer and a in the water survey

surveyver came from Southampton spent all day on the inside

Fire extinsers were out of date

no life saving device

problem with alternator,

‘stupid little things’survey  cost the lady £700 for the survey

broker now has copy of survey,as I it’s now going to be used as a selling tool lol

clean bill of health

but lady pulled out due to her daughters loosing their inheritance lol

it was off the market for 2 months due to the sale etc.

Its now up For £85000 now as comments made that the bathroom was dated

so really haven’t a clue repriceing, although I’ve been told to take it to a brokers on the Thames.get more money. Or sell more quickly 

its on with the broker and on Apoloduck

There 2 people on it, but waiting for house sale,and selling a house in spain

col