Boxing day cruise

DianeW

Featured Posts

Chugged from the marina at Fazeley, up to Fradley today. Could have been a bit sunnier  but otherwise good to get out of the marina. Passed a few boats moving, but not many. Came across a boat at 45 deg across the canal, not attached at the stern at all. Nudged up to it, pushed it into the side and wondered whether we should stop and reattach the stake but it did seem as though the side hatch was open and then as we drew alongside it transpired there were about 8 people aboard around the table. You’d think one of them might have noticed the proximity of the opposite bank but it seems not.

I noted the front stake was only bashed 1/2 in to the soft bank and the rope was attached near the top. Some people shouldn’t be allowed out!

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Goliath said:

A cracking stretch to cruise. 

And nicely rounded off by meeting a gongoozling family with young kids about 5 and 8 at the Fradley swingbridge. I suggested the kids might like to help with the swingbridge. They did with relish. Then I got them to open and close the top gate at Junction lock, and then one of the bottom gates. Parents looked on slightly amazed! Good to get ‘em started young!

• Greenie 2

2 hours ago, nicknorman said:

And nicely rounded off by meeting a gongoozling family with young kids about 5 and 8 at the Fradley swingbridge. I suggested the kids might like to help with the swingbridge. They did with relish. Then I got them to open and close the top gate at Junction lock, and then one of the bottom gates. Parents looked on slightly amazed! Good to get ‘em started young!

We often involve young families to help at locks. You don’t even have to pay minimum wage. 

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Ive cruised the A1m, m18, m1 and a43 today.

It was the M1, M18, A1M, A1 and A57 for us.

Followed by a pleasant walk from the marina to the Pyewipe for a lovely moorers get together over lunch. 

Very nice day.

Now back at home having smart meters fitted. Then it is back to the boat tomorrow for four days away on the river.

11 hours ago, nicknorman said:

Got to bet that small gesture made the kids day some thing out of the normal

16 hours ago, DianeW said:

A gorgeous day for going with the flow :)https://youtu.be/H5qFgQYFmCw

Once went under that low railway bridge, just leaving Thorne, had a ladder on the wheelhouse roof and the bridge took it off.  It was a commercial tug and the ladder was half of an extension ladder, so it had the hooks that hook into the other half.  The ladder had been used at Stannilands and had been put back with the hooks uppermost, these were what caught the bridge that's how close it was.  Jumped out of me wits, lol....

9 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

It was the M1, M18, A1M, A1 and A57 for us.

Followed by a pleasant walk from the marina to the Pyewipe for a lovely moorers get together over lunch. 

Very nice day.

Now back at home having smart meters fitted. Then it is back to the boat tomorrow for four days away on the river.

Not planning to go through Torksey?

9 hours ago, X Alan W said:

Got to bet that small gesture made the kids day some thing out of the normal

It is always a 'feel good factor' when the parents want (with evident delight) to take photos of their little ones pushing an impossibly large gate!

7 hours ago, Joe Bourke said:

Would this be yours ?

FB_IMG_1545909067070.jpg

FB_IMG_1545909132087.jpg

Hi there, yes, I'm fortunate enough to be the present custodian.  In your top pic, HATFIELD is waiting for the handover to BWB.  She was the first of the batch of motor tugs and the only one built at Goole.  All the tugs survive but only HATFIELD and WHELDALE remain in original condition.  In your bottom pic she's passing Harkers wharf at Knottingley, probably on her way to Goole.  

I'm also lucky to own an original Jebus, which, unless there's one sunk in a backwater, is one of only two remaining.  Hope this is of interest.....

6 hours ago, Joe Bourke said:

C. Campling (Goole) Ltd, is now Viking Marine (Goole) Ltd.

IMAG0618.jpg

HATFIELD requires repairs making to her rudder but when I've carried these out I'm intending to motor her to Goole and try to get a photo of her in front of Claude Campling's old workshop.

12 hours ago, NB Esk said:

HATFIELD requires repairs making to her rudder but when I've carried these out I'm intending to motor her to Goole and try to get a photo of her in front of Claude Campling's old workshop.

My mooring is opposite, I'll watch out for you. Brodsworth is moored on the canal at Viking Marina.

IMG_0424.JPG