Moorings on Peak Forest Canal.

beerbeerbeerbeerbeer

Featured Posts

Dukinfield junction is lovely, have heard the Hyde has a bad reputation but never stopped there so can't really say. Any of the rural spots after Hyde seem fine but never many boats there. It's just quite a quiet canal though. Some beautiful mooring spots around Romiley and the bottom of the locks

I didn't see any when we were up there this summer. We overnighted by the swing bridge where the local police patrol said we'd probably be OK as it was raining so hard.  Its only half a day from the junction to the bottom of the flight - I'd do it in a one-er. Local knowledge might bring better news.

I’ve done the  stretch before as a one-er and remember it being pretty, especially around the aquaduct. I’m really killing time waiting for the flight to open. I thought I would explore a bit more and take my time. 

I was considering stopping over at Portland Basin, Hyde, Haugton Nature Reserve, Romiley and then somewhere between the aqueduct and bottom lock. 

So, yes, any local knowledge/advice on a good mooring spot would be welcome. 

Thanks. 

41 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

Chadkirk Chapel and garden just round the corner from Romiley is worth a visit.  You can moor just above it and walk down.

Thanks, I’ll make a point of going there. ?

There are a couple of pubs in Romiley, close to the canal, what do you reckon to them? 

6 hours ago, Goliath said:

There are a couple of pubs in Romiley, close to the canal, what do you reckon to them? 

We moored by bridge 14 in Romiley and walked up the hill (a short distance) to the Duke of York. They take dogs (in the bar only) and it seemed a nice friendly local and the beer was ok. Didn't try the food, got a takeaway from a local Indian restaurant which was good according to the log, I can't really remember.

Not the Peak Forest but Romiley is fine for mooring , all the way to Woodley.

Avoid the other way between Marple and Romiley, the natives of Cherry Tree estate are infamous.

Mooring up the end of the Peak Forest, Bugsworth basin is invariably closed, and the terminal basin and the canal leading to it is cluttered with long stay boats.

There have been problems in the past around the junction in Marple, probably better a mile or so down the Macclesfield way.

Edited by Boater Sam
added more

We've moored several times overnight at Dukinfield (in the wooded section just north of Stanley lift bridge) and never had any problem, in spite of seeing various dubious-looking characters around. Of course this is no guarantee... ?

11 hours ago, frahkn said:

We moored by bridge 14 in Romiley and walked up the hill (a short distance) to the Duke of York. They take dogs (in the bar only) and it seemed a nice friendly local and the beer was ok. Didn't try the food, got a takeaway from a local Indian restaurant which was good according to the log, I can't really remember.

Thanks, decent pub and a takeaway is always good. 

6 hours ago, Boater Sam said:

Avoid the other way between Marple and Romiley, the natives of Cherry Tree estate are infamous.

Mooring up the end of the Peak Forest, Bugsworth basin is invariably closed, and the terminal basin and the canal leading to it is cluttered with long stay boats.

There have been problems in the past around the junction in Marple, probably better a mile or so down the Macclesfield way.

Thanks for the warnings. 

4 minutes ago, IanD said:

We've moored several times overnight at Dukinfield (in the wooded section just north of Stanley lift bridge) and never had any problem, in spite of seeing various dubious-looking characters around. Of course this is no guarantee... ?

Another thanks for that. 

Any snippets of info is good. 

I remember mooring up to the trip boat at Portland Basin a few  years ago because I didnt like look of the towpath side. Only there for one night, arrived late and left early. 

10 hours ago, Boater Sam said:

I would contradict virtually all of that.

21 hours ago, Goliath said:

The Duke of York is OK, the next one up was in transition when I was last year, so don't know what it's like now.  A good micropub with a railway themed name (can't remember, Platform 1 or something?) further up by the station.

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

On ‎28‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 05:45, Boater Sam said:

I would say virtually all this is wrong, and as I've been boating in the area since the seventies I know the area well. Romiley is on the Peak Forest, there are a couple of good real beer bars near the station worth the walk for. We more at Furness Vale and apart from last summer Bugsworth has been open for years, and you can always find a mooring spot there. Good pub at the basin and also a nice walk up to the Old Hall along the old tramway route. We regularly have a Saturday night out in Marple and moor near the Junction on the Macclesfield , if you are going up the peak don't worry there is a winding hole a couple of hundred yards beyond the junction on the Macc and you can Moor use the facilities then turn round and go back to the Junction. The Samual Oldknow on the pedestrianised shopping street in town does a decent pint

• Greenie 1

Wrong?

Bugsworth is closed.

Romiley is fine for mooring.

Cherry Tree Estate is feral.

Marple Council Estate is a trouble spot. Had 2 boats burnt out there.

Final 600 yard of the Upper Peak Forest is long term moorings

I lived in the Marple-Romiley area for 38 years.

Not wrong.

I moored just below the aqueduct, Ashton side of the retained cutting/former tunnel for a week in Summer 2017. Have also moored near the junction with the Macc, when there's space, which is convenient for Marple, and further along on the Upper Peak Forest though it does get shallow and you have to find spots where you can moor. 

1 hour ago, captain birdseye said:

I would say virtually all this is wrong, and as I've been boating in the area since the seventies I know the area well. Romiley is on the Peak Forest, there are a couple of good real beer bars near the station worth the walk for. We more at Furness Vale and apart from last summer Bugsworth has been open for years, and you can always find a mooring spot there. Good pub at the basin and also a nice walk up to the Old Hall along the old tramway route. We regularly have a Saturday night out in Marple and moor near the Junction on the Macclesfield , if you are going up the peak don't worry there is a winding hole a couple of hundred yards beyond the junction on the Macc and you can Moor use the facilities then turn round and go back to the Junction. The Samual Oldknow on the pedestrianised shopping street in town does a decent pint

Marple to Bugsworth  (along with the Mac) is a favourite. Planning to spend more time there this year, so any pointers are good. I’ll look out for the Samual Oldknow. I think I’ve only used the pub on the bridge, the Ring ‘o’ Bells (?). 

46 minutes ago, Jonkx said:

I moored just below the aqueduct, Ashton side of the retained cutting/former tunnel for a week in Summer 2017. Have also moored near the junction with the Macc, when there's space, which is convenient for Marple, and further along on the Upper Peak Forest though it does get shallow and you have to find spots where you can moor. 

So there’s mooring below the aquaduct, perfect. 

Cheers. 

11 hours ago, Boater Sam said:

Wrong?

Bugsworth is closed.

Romiley is fine for mooring.

Cherry Tree Estate is feral.

Marple Council Estate is a trouble spot. Had 2 boats burnt out there.

Final 600 yard of the Upper Peak Forest is long term moorings

I lived in the Marple-Romiley area for 38 years.

Not wrong.

Bugsworth is not closed.

Sorry to hear you had two boats burnt out.  Why were they in a council estate?

There are short term moorings beyond the long term moorings before Whaley Bridge Basin, and anyway the long term moorings are practically empty - unlikely anyone would object to overnight mooring.

I've left my boat at the Peak Forest/Macc junction for a week at a time several times last Autumn, and moored there many times without problems.

Happy New Year.