Speeding on The Fosse

zenataomm

Featured Posts

Quite a lot of the wider waterways, rivers really, in France have designated sport sections for waterskiers and suchlike, we were going down the top end (or quieter bit) of the Rhine this summer when we met a few, they used Bee as a kind of turning point as they belted up and down and so did the Sapeurs Pompiers (sort of fire brigade) who were flinging dummies into the river and practicing rescuing them. It was horribly bouncy and uncomfortable and if I had had a couple of torpedoes I would have been tempted to use them.

2 minutes ago, Bee said:

Quite a lot of the wider waterways, rivers really, in France have designated sport sections for waterskiers and suchlike, we were going down the top end (or quieter bit) of the Rhine this summer when we met a few, they used Bee as a kind of turning point as they belted up and down and so did the Sapeurs Pompiers (sort of fire brigade) who were flinging dummies into the river and practicing rescuing them. It was horribly bouncy and uncomfortable and if I had had a couple of torpedoes I would have been tempted to use them.

You dont have to go as far as France. Its the same on the Trent innitt.

45 minutes ago, Bee said:

Never been on the Trent, didn't know that, been on the Thames where that sort of behaviour is frowned upon.

I suggest you continue to avoid the R.Trent if little waves cause you so much grief. 

52 minutes ago, Bee said:

the Sapeurs Pompiers (sort of fire brigade) who were flinging dummies into the river and practicing rescuing them. It was horribly bouncy and uncomfortable and if I had had a couple of torpedoes I would have been tempted to use them.

Were you really  offended by the emergency services practicing life saving skills?  Surely you are making that one up?

Edited by MartynG

47 minutes ago, Bee said:

Never been on the Trent, didn't know that, been on the Thames where that sort of behaviour is frowned upon.

They have designated ski zones. And they don't hang around when they are out with someone on the back.

We use their moorings occasionally for which we have permission. Best to go to the pub if they are still skiing when we arrive.

56 minutes ago, Bee said:

The Trent is my fave river. I also like the Thames but its sanitised for the hoy palloy or whatever the spelling is whereas the Trent is a proper river especialy the tidal bit and down to Trent end. Fab.

14 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

They have designated ski zones. And they don't hang around when they are out with someone on the back.

We use their moorings occasionally for which we have permission. Best to go to the pub if they are still skiing when we arrive.

Frightening, frightening, very very frightening all  those big waves ………………………………….

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Frightening, frightening, very very frightening all  those big waves ………………………………….

Terrifying. Had to go to the pub to calm down.

11 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

The Trent is my fave river. I also like the Thames but its sanitised for the hoy palloy or whatever the spelling is whereas the Trent is a proper river especialy the tidal bit and down to Trent end. Fab.

A proper river for proper boaters. 

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Anyone in a  narrowboat should keep away.

Sometimes waves appear as if by magic

• Greenie 1

As an aside, I have just translated a section from a French book of 1802 dealing with the subject of waves on canals. The translation is by Google, so is a little bit lacking, but you can get an idea of what is being suggested, with Bosquillon looking, in particular, at the power required to pass though the long tunnel at Riqueval, on the Canal St Quentin.The theory behind waves on canals were first published in 1777 in the book Nouvelles experiences sur la resistance des fluides.

1802, Notes sur les canaux, by de Bosquillon.

3 °. The resistance of the water in a channel of 16 feet wide at the waterline, in which boats of 14 feet pass, is immense; because the water, thrown back by the boat, having no space to stretch, rises to the front of the boat, and forces to overcome this resistance to continue the road, it is not the same in a channel of 60 feet in width, which is the smallest dimension of those in the open, because in them the water, moved by the boat, is pushed back to the banks of right and on the left, and forms there only a very slight, though sensible, remix, which causes almost no obstacle to be overcome, than that of the natural and inevitable pressure of the water on the bow of the ship, when he walks.

Messrs. of Condorcet and Buat estimate that a boat, by the effect of the resistance of the water in an underground canal, will take 141 minutes to travel 2000 toises, when it is 17 feet wide instead of 16 give him M. de Vie; so that it would take more than five hours to cross the subterranean under Mount St. Martin, and fifty minutes for the passage of that under the Tronquoy. If these subterraneous were 20 feet wide at the waterline; as M. de Chabot the; asked in his memoirs, it would take 4 hours 15 minutes for these two underground. The same open channel length would be travelled in 2 hours 15 minutes (No. XLV). M. de Condorcet concluded that at least 30 feet in width should be given to the underground canals on which ships of 14 to 15 feet should sail, instead of 16 given them by MM. of Vie and Laurent.