Speeding on The Fosse

zenataomm

Featured Posts

Now far be it from me to even hint at old stories ….. cough cough!

I was merely  amusing myself on Christmas afternoon avoiding The Muppets version of Debbie Does Dallas when I found myself on Bing Maps ( I always use Google Maps personally).

I discovered an aerial shot of a cruiser on The Fosse travelling from Torksey towards Burton Waters.

Please discuss and have a full report in triplicate on my desk for 8.30am tomorrow. 

Speeding boat.jpg

13 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

I was merely  amusing myself on Christmas afternoon avoiding The Muppets version of Debbie Does Dallas when I found myself on Bing Maps ( I always use Google Maps personally).

I discovered an aerial shot of a cruiser on The Fosse travelling from Torksey towards Burton Waters.

Please discuss and have a full report in triplicate on my desk for 8.30am tomorrow. 

Speeding boat.jpg

Pedant alert! .....erm I think you mean the Foss Dyke. The River Fosse is in York. 

Merry Christmas

Howard

1 hour ago, zenataomm said:

I was merely  amusing myself on Christmas afternoon avoiding The Muppets version of Debbie Does Dallas 

Now that does bring back memories Mr Hardcastle

Burton Waters Marina are permitted to take boats out to test the engines as part of a pre purchase  survey.

Although after finding the boat pictured is quite near Torksey that would seem an unlikely explanation. 

Edited by MartynG
comment added after finding exact location of the photograph

28 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Burton Waters Marina are permitted to take boats out to test the engines as part of a pre purchase  survey.

Although after finding the boat pictured is quite near Torksey that would seem an unlikely explanation. 

They can do that on the Broads at Surlingham, but they have to log every occurance

2 hours ago, MartynG said:

I don’t know about surveys but they seem to do that on sales demos, as we had the misfortune to come accross one just to the Lincoln side of Burton Waters.  They slowed down as soon as they saw us but we went through foot high waves for the new 10 mins, I was not impressed.

9 minutes ago, john6767 said:

I don’t know about surveys but they seem to do that on sales demos, as we had the misfortune to come accross one just to the Lincoln side of Burton Waters.  They slowed down as soon as they saw us but we went through foot high waves for the new 10 mins, I was not impressed.

0.3m waves= sea state ''smooth''

• Greenie 1

11 hours ago, MartynG said:

On what is effectively a narrow canal it is not a lot of fun and just slops around between and over the banks.  Of no relevance to sea state, and I hope you don’t think that is acceptable behaviour.

11 hours ago, MartynG said:

I don't quite get the point you are making. The term Smooth is a relative term. In open waters,  smooth is in comparison to  blummin lumpy waves,  but on a narrow waterway it can definitely be a nuisance - especially to those who may not expect it -  and not to mention the damage it causes to canal and river banks. 

Howard

10 minutes ago, john6767 said:

On what is effectively a narrow canal it is not a lot of fun and just slops around between and over the banks.  Of no relevance to sea state, and I hope you don’t think that is acceptable behaviour.

I have experienced the same thing on the Aire and Calder from a commercial barge . The wave nearly bounced my boat over the sheet piles and kept on going several minutes. But there was no damage and I survived without making a big deal of it.

1 minute ago, howardang said:

I don't quite get the point you are making. 

It is a statement of fact.

0.3m waves , by accepted marine standards,  is nothing much.

36 minutes ago, MartynG said:

I have experienced the same thing on the Aire and Calder from a commercial barge . The wave nearly bounced my boat over the sheet piles and kept on going several minutes. But there was no damage and I survived without making a big deal of it.

It is a statement of fact.

0.3m waves , by accepted marine standards,  is nothing much.

however the claimed three foot is somewhat more than 0.3 metres

16 hours ago, howardang said:

Pedant alert! .....erm I think you mean the Foss Dyke. The River Fosse is in York. 

Merry Christmas

Howard

The River Foss Society spell it Foss. The Fosse Way  is a Roman Road to Lincoln,  much of it now the A46

14 minutes ago, thebfg said:

Where is three feet claimed ?

One  foot is 0.3m approximately  (0.3048m if wishing to be more precise )

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, john6767 said:

It is acceptable behaviour on trial runs and survey runs which is what I expect you encountered.

33 minutes ago, thebfg said:

The 3ft I suspect is something of an exaggeration given that a 3ft wave would be most of the way up the flood bank and railway bank.

13 hours ago, john6767 said:

So don't visit again if you don't like it.

They have permission from CRT to do these runs.

Edited by Naughty Cal

13 minutes ago, Robbo said:

It’s a lot on a category A waterway (by accepted marine standards)

Now that is confusing

UK waterways classifications :

How inland waters are classified

Inland waters are classified as one of four categories:

Category A: narrow rivers and canals where the water is generally less than 1.5 metres deep

Category B: wider rivers and canals where the water is generally 1.5 metres or more deep, and where the significant wave height couldn’t be expected to be more than 0.6 metres at any time

Category C ; tidal rivers, estuaries and large, deep lakes and lochs where the significant wave height couldn’t be expected to be more than 1.2 metres at any time

Category D ; tidal rivers and estuaries where the significant wave height couldn’t be expected to be more than 2 metres at any time

International Waters classifications :

Category A - Ocean:

Designed for extended voyages where conditions may exceed wind force 8 (Beaufort scale) and significant wave heights of 4m and above but excluding abnormal conditions, and vessels largely self-sufficient. 

Category B - Offshore:

Designed for offshore voyages where conditions up to, and including, wind force 8 and significant wave heights up to, and including, 4m may be experienced.

Category C - Inshore: Designed for voyages in coastal waters, large bays, estuaries, lakes and rivers where conditions up to, and including, wind force 6 and significant wave heights up to, and including, 2m may be experienced.  

Category D - Sheltered: Designed for voyages on sheltered coastal waters, small bays, small lakes, rivers and canals where conditions up to, and including, wind force 4 and significant wave heights up to, and including, 0.3m may be experienced, with occasional waves of 0.5m maximum height, for example from passing vessels. 

A boat built as 'suitable for UK waters category A'  may struggle with the RCD 'category A' waters.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

2 hours ago, pearley said:

The River Foss Society spell it Foss. The Fosse Way  is a Roman Road to Lincoln,  much of it now the A46

Sorry Pete. Your'e quite right, it is the River Foss in York.  Serves me right for trying to be a smart ar***! A rogue E crept in where it shouldn't.

Cheers

Howard

6 hours ago, MartynG said:

Where is three feet claimed ?

One  foot is 0.3m approximately  (0.3048m if wishing to be more precise )

hehe. My eyes are deceiving me. My mistake.

I agree a foot is nothing where were from, the solent. infact I've  been out kayacking in worse. I would be a tad annoyed if it was on the cut though.

On 25/12/2018 at 17:42, zenataomm said:

Aplogies for not getting my report in by 8.30am today.

I thought the muppets film was very good.

• Greenie 1