Do you need help crewing

Rhn4160

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Rhn4160 said:

Hi i am available to help crew or relocate boats anywhere in the country 

I think you need to be a bit closer to the point Experience ,Beer/tea & grub or do you require pay/travel expenses  How long each stint etc Do you smoke ,

I've crewed for people on this forum a number of times over the last few years, and yes it would help if you give more information, especially about your level of experience, and what sort of terms you want.

In particular, are you hoping to get paid? There are professional boat movers, such as matty40s and Nigel Carton on this forum, but they get their work because:

(1) they have plenty of boating experience including the tricky tidal connections such as the Thames, Trent, Ribble etc., and quite likely are good at maintenance to fix a boat up if a problem arises en route, and:

(2) they'll have their own insurance, so they can be covered in their own right and move someone's boat single-handed.

I don't think they get rich from it, but they make a living.

You can also get employed as crew on commercial trip boats, particularly in London. I guess that would be mostly poorly paid casual work, and to be a skipper with a bit more pay and regular work you would need qualifications.

Alternatively, there's the likes of me; a reasonable level of experience, competent to steer a boat and operate locks, good at getting along with total strangers, willing to muck in with cookery and chores, and with the time to spend a week or two at a time helping someone move a boat from A to B. Being retired helps! Because I just expect food and plenty of tea, not money, and the boat's owner is present, a normal boat insurance will cover that, just as if friends and family were invited for a trip.

If you just want to get out on the water without owning a boat, there are also various charities operating boats dotted about the country who are often looking for volunteers, not just as crew but to do all sorts of other supporting work. They expect you to pay for your food of course. Many of them have a boat doing day trips to raise funds, e.g. on partly restored canals. But there are some opportunities for longer trips; if that's what you're looking for, and you fancy learning to crew a traditional working pair, try the Narrow Boat Trust.

• Greenie 2