Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Athy

What's the best ever Christmas record?

Featured Posts

I thought it was the determined cheeriness of Slade's 'Merry Christmas Everybody'.

...then I remembered the perfectly-produced rock'n'roll of Wizzard's 'I Wish It Could Be Christmas Every Day', marred only by its daft title.

...then I saw the Asda T.V. advert and was thrilled, as always, by Darlene Love's voice on 'Christmas, Baby Please Come Home'.

...then I relished once again Chuck Berry's bright and very clever 'Run Run Rudolph'.

...then I heard Bing Crosby's 'White Christmas', a performance which encapsulates the calm and peace of Christmas.

...oh, and The Drifters' rock'n'roll 'White Christmas', with the charming cartoon which accompanies it on You Tube.

So I'm not sure, but I'll have plenty to listen to on my record player this morning.

What's your favourite? Bahers and humbuggers need not apply.

47 minutes ago, Joe the plumber said:

Bach's 'Christmas Oratorio', or Schutz' 'Weihnachtshistorie'.

Well you did say best ever....

Indeed - all contributions welcomed.

I wonder if it qualifies as a "record", i.e. originally made as such, though, as per the thread's title.

Paul Mcartney's contribution was good as of Course was Slade's .hard to choose a Favourite as even Cliff's  effort was not awful.I do think of that Jonah Louie song (title forgot but starts with 'hey mr Churchill)as a Christmas song.

You've already mentioned Wizzard, so I'll add

Chris de Burgh - A spaceman came travelling and

The Pogues - A fairytale of New York

Both of which can be played any time of the year.

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, cereal tiller said:

Paul Mcartney's contribution was good as of Course was Slade's .hard to choose a Favourite as even Cliff's  effort was not awful.I do think of that Jonah Louie song (title forgot but starts with 'hey mr Churchill)as a Christmas song.

Something like 'Sod The Cavalry'. Jonah Lewie deserved to be more than a two-hit wonder - I saw him onstage once and he did a good show.

4 minutes ago, Kendorr said:

The Pogues - A Fairytale of New York

which can be played any time of the year.

Yes, it can - in fact it's better at other times of the year, as it scarcely exudes Christmas spirit!

Edited by Athy

5 minutes ago, Athy said:

Something like 'Sod The Cavalry'. Jonah Lewie deserved to be more than a two-hit wonder - I saw him onstage once and he did a good show.

Can you send the Cavalry ?he made a Song called Bang Bang (the mighty fall) which was good and Mentioned John Fruin who was MD of WEA Records and a Former Client of Mine.

Edited by Athy
Pluralising hit.

2 minutes ago, mark99 said:

Ronettes Sleigh ride. Greg Lakes one.

One out of two ain't bad! (Well, Greg's is O.K. too really).

Definitely, for me anyway, the Pogues and Kirsty McColl "Fairytale of New York".  RIP Kirsty, much missed.

• Greenie 1

Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker

I love Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker but it's inevitable Frank Muir will worm his way in and eventually I'll be dancing round with the dog singing "Every One's a Fruit & Nutcase". :rolleyes:

Fluddy Cadburys ruined the dance of the reed-pipes for ever. 

But even if you've never listened to the whole Nutcracker there will be loads of bits you know and think of as Christmas as probably about a third of it has been used and adapted for various adverts and tv programs - Trepac the Russian Dance is probably one of the most well known even over the Sugar Plum Fairy and the Cadburys adverts. 

Edited by Tumshie
Cos I can't spell
  • Haha 1

Christmas No. 1 2009

Rage against the machine... "Killing in the name of "

Or genuine Xmas song... Basement 5..."Last white Christmas" 

Or maybe "Silent Night" by the Dickies. 

When I was in a band we did a Hawkwind inspired cover of "white Christmas" which always went down well but no recording survives so I guess that doesn't count. 

4 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker

I love Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker but it's inevitable Frank Muir will worm his way in and eventually I'll be dancing round with the dog singing "Every One's a Fruit & Nutcase". :rolleyes:

But even if you've never listened to the whole Nutcracker there will be loads of bits you know and think of as Christmas as probably about a third of it has been used and adapted for various adverts and tv programs - Terpac the Russian Dance is probably one of the most well known even over the Sugar Plum Fairy and the Cadburys adverts. 

Somehow, for you, Nutcracker seems really appropriate....

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, NB Esk said:

Somehow, for you, Nutcracker seems really appropriate....

It would appear I have been found out :D

:hug:

• Haha 1

Thanks for all your contribs so far, which make fascinating reading.

Interesting that the most popular so far is a song which is bitter and twisted rather than exuding a traditional festive sentiment (The Pogues).

Mr. T, I reckon that yours counts as a virtual record.

1 hour ago, Tumshie said:

Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker

But even if you've never listened to the whole Nutcracker there will be loads of bits you know and think of as Christmas as probably about a third of it has been used and adapted for various adverts and tv programs - Trepac the Russian Dance is probably one of the most well known even over the Sugar Plum Fairy and the Cadburys adverts. 

Long time ago at the Cinema seeing 2001 Space Odyssey Fillum and when they showed the Bone which had been used as a Weapon being hurled into the Air which then  became a Space Station ,The 'Blue Danube Waltz was Played as Background Music. about half the Audience started Singing "Shippams for Tea for Tea for Tea" which had been heard lots on the TV Advert.

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Kendorr said:

You've already mentioned Wizzard, so I'll add

Chris de Burgh - A spaceman came travelling and

The Pogues - A fairytale of New York

Both of which can be played any time of the year.

I'd agree with those 2 but would also add Greg Lake's "I believe in Father Christmas"

Sign in to follow this