Dreadlocks

canalhippy

Featured Posts

22 minutes ago, canalhippy said:

I’ve never really understood how it can be seen as cultural appropriation. I had long hair, threw away my brush and literally did nothing to my hair and this happened. Wasn’t trying to copy or appropriate anyone, just trying a little less hair maintenance.

E5C6EB16-A579-4ED9-B44F-673816E9A4A9.jpeg

I agree, think that everyone should be able to dress/ keep their hair as they like, it's nobody else's business. Others disagree though.

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/12/2018 at 20:37, The Welsh Cruiser said:

Some think that only people of Caribbean heritage should have dreadlocks. I think they call it cultural misappropriation. Apparently it's seen as some kind of theft. 

A chap I used to work with,who hailed from the Carribean Islands used to refer to them as Whiggers, a very derogatory term!!??

On 26/12/2018 at 12:17, 8 Hairy Feet said:

There is a world of difference between locks as a "fashion choice" and locks worn by a conscious man or woman.  Personally I don't have a problem with anybody wearing their hair(or lack of same) as they choose. 

Exactly, I know a couple of practicing Rastafarian’s quite well and when I had crusty dreads neither gave a shit. Miriam used to retwist them a bit now and then because she thought I was too scruffy! 

14 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

I suggest anyone seeking "A little less hair maintenance" goes for a no.1 all over (head and beard). Only needs repeating every few weeks.

Bit boring though if you have good head of hair...

2 hours ago, canalhippy said:

Bit boring though if you have good head of hair...

I don't depend on my hair to make me interesting (even though I do have a good supply of the raw material, even at my advanced age).

2 hours ago, Athy said:

No doubt you can have them billowing over your shoulders (broad locks), tied behind your head (narrow locks) or you can cut them off (stop locks).

:clapping:

Tried all of the above, in turn.

3 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

I suggest anyone seeking "A little less hair maintenance" goes for a no.1 all over (head and beard). Only needs repeating every few weeks.

I mostly had relatively long hair (and a good crop), but after losing it in handfuls it was quite interesting to see it get to about 10mm when it regrew.  Several people said the shorter cut suited me and even the magic words "makes you look younger", so I keep it between 12 -15mm now, and trim it every two or three weeks.

Saved me a fortune in shampoo as well and it doen't matter if i forget to brush it in the morning.

• Greenie 1

Yes, I have a whole range of symbols at my fingertips  because I bookmarked this page a long while ago:

ASCII code linky

Press and hold 'alt', type the code on the keypad, release 'alt'. As far as I know it only works on a proper PC with a 102-key keyboard, not a battery-operated toy one. 

I can draw a fence too

╬═══╬═══╬═══╬═══╬═══╬

• Greenie 1

My objection to dreadlocks is that they seem to belong to the great unwashed, offtimes with that most disgusting of body piercing: the nasal ring.

This is called " I no like - Skul".

I've no issues with this, clean and shiny hair, the lyrics are [almost] incomprehensible, but fit nicely with the rhythm [and I am not being sarcastic]

Edited by LadyG

5 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Thanks Gents - I'll just set 'em up, you can knock 'em down!

(I'm surprised it took as long as that).

Sorry I am busy adding up figures for my tax return so it had to wait until I took a break.

5 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Good luck with that -- I pay an accountant, and he's worth every penny of his fee.

Thank you - nearly done now, after about 3 days with my head in files, paying-in books etc. I actually did have someone who was kind enough look at my figures for a few years; he's a member here as it happens (so the "fee" was payable in beer). But as he didn't find anything wrong with them I stopped sending them to him.

Edited by Athy

3 hours ago, Athy said:

Thank you - nearly done now, after about 3 days with my head in files, paying-in books etc. I actually did have someone who was kind enough look at my figures for a few years; he's a member here as it happens (so the "fee" was payable in beer). But as he didn't find anything wrong with them I stopped sending them to him.

I managed to persuade them that I could not fill their form in, and tbf, they accepted that and never sent me another :)