Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
canalhippy

Dreadlocks

Featured Posts

22 minutes ago, canalhippy said:

I’ve never really understood how it can be seen as cultural appropriation. I had long hair, threw away my brush and literally did nothing to my hair and this happened. Wasn’t trying to copy or appropriate anyone, just trying a little less hair maintenance.

E5C6EB16-A579-4ED9-B44F-673816E9A4A9.jpeg

I agree, think that everyone should be able to dress/ keep their hair as they like, it's nobody else's business. Others disagree though.

There is a world of difference between locks as a "fashion choice" and locks worn by a conscious man or woman.  Personally I don't have a problem with anybody wearing their hair(or lack of same) as they choose. 

• Greenie 2

On 24/12/2018 at 20:37, The Welsh Cruiser said:

Some think that only people of Caribbean heritage should have dreadlocks. I think they call it cultural misappropriation. Apparently it's seen as some kind of theft. 

A chap I used to work with,who hailed from the Carribean Islands used to refer to them as Whiggers, a very derogatory term!!??

A friend of my son's had ginger dreadlocks. About as un-Caribbean as you can get, but I don't think anyone felt he shouldn't do it. Big bloke, so maybe no-one dared to say so!

On 26/12/2018 at 12:17, 8 Hairy Feet said:

There is a world of difference between locks as a "fashion choice" and locks worn by a conscious man or woman.  Personally I don't have a problem with anybody wearing their hair(or lack of same) as they choose. 

Exactly, I know a couple of practicing Rastafarian’s quite well and when I had crusty dreads neither gave a shit. Miriam used to retwist them a bit now and then because she thought I was too scruffy! 

I suggest anyone seeking "A little less hair maintenance" goes for a no.1 all over (head and beard). Only needs repeating every few weeks.

14 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

I suggest anyone seeking "A little less hair maintenance" goes for a no.1 all over (head and beard). Only needs repeating every few weeks.

Bit boring though if you have good head of hair...

No doubt you can have them billowing over your shoulders (broad locks), tied behind your head (narrow locks) or you can cut them off (stop locks).

2 hours ago, canalhippy said:

Bit boring though if you have good head of hair...

I don't depend on my hair to make me interesting (even though I do have a good supply of the raw material, even at my advanced age).

2 hours ago, Athy said:

No doubt you can have them billowing over your shoulders (broad locks), tied behind your head (narrow locks) or you can cut them off (stop locks).

:clapping:

Tried all of the above, in turn.

3 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

I mostly had relatively long hair (and a good crop), but after losing it in handfuls it was quite interesting to see it get to about 10mm when it regrew.  Several people said the shorter cut suited me and even the magic words "makes you look younger", so I keep it between 12 -15mm now, and trim it every two or three weeks.

Saved me a fortune in shampoo as well and it doen't matter if i forget to brush it in the morning.

• Greenie 1

51 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

:clapping:

Tried all of the above, in turn.

It is of course possible that I was talking bol.....

Dammit, you know how to type a grave accent and a circumflex on a British keyboard. I've got only as far as the acute accent (Ctrl + Alt).

Yes, I have a whole range of symbols at my fingertips  because I bookmarked this page a long while ago:

ASCII code linky

Press and hold 'alt', type the code on the keypad, release 'alt'. As far as I know it only works on a proper PC with a 102-key keyboard, not a battery-operated toy one. 

I can draw a fence too

╬═══╬═══╬═══╬═══╬═══╬

• Greenie 1

My objection to dreadlocks is that they seem to belong to the great unwashed, offtimes with that most disgusting of body piercing: the nasal ring.

This is called " I no like - Skul".

I've no issues with this, clean and shiny hair, the lyrics are [almost] incomprehensible, but fit nicely with the rhythm [and I am not being sarcastic]

Edited by LadyG

12 minutes ago, LadyG said:

…with that most disgusting of body piercing: the nasal ring…

wow, you plainly don’t have much experience of body piercing if you think that’s the most disgusting ?

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

I have taken a fence.

I haven't, yet: I'm still sitting on it.

1 hour ago, TheBiscuits said:

I have taken a fence.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

I haven't, yet: I'm still sitting on it.

Thanks Gents - I'll just set 'em up, you can knock 'em down!

(I'm surprised it took as long as that).

5 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Thanks Gents - I'll just set 'em up, you can knock 'em down!

(I'm surprised it took as long as that).

Sorry I am busy adding up figures for my tax return so it had to wait until I took a break.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

Sorry I am busy adding up figures for my tax return so it had to wait until I took a break.

Good luck with that -- I pay an accountant, and he's worth every penny of his fee.

Edited by Machpoint005
sp.

5 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Good luck with that -- I pay an accountant, and he's worth every penny of his fee.

Thank you - nearly done now, after about 3 days with my head in files, paying-in books etc. I actually did have someone who was kind enough look at my figures for a few years; he's a member here as it happens (so the "fee" was payable in beer). But as he didn't find anything wrong with them I stopped sending them to him.

Edited by Athy

54 minutes ago, bizzard said:

005.JPG

Looks like you have lost weight Biz, there is hardly anything of you now! ?

3 hours ago, Athy said:

Thank you - nearly done now, after about 3 days with my head in files, paying-in books etc. I actually did have someone who was kind enough look at my figures for a few years; he's a member here as it happens (so the "fee" was payable in beer). But as he didn't find anything wrong with them I stopped sending them to him.

I managed to persuade them that I could not fill their form in, and tbf, they accepted that and never sent me another :)