Dreadlocks

canalhippy

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, Athy said:

Sorry I am busy adding up figures for my tax return so it had to wait until I took a break.

So late? Mine was done and dusted in September  (late for me) and paid before Christmas.

Cant understand why people leave it until the last few weeks.

4 minutes ago, Loddon said:

So late? Mine was done and dusted in September  (late for me) and paid before Christmas.

No, not late at all: there are a full three weeks until the deadline. I normally reserve the second week of January for the task - I see that last year I paid the bill on the 15th so in fact I am early this year. The only time that my scheduling misfired was 2011 when we had our house fire and had to move out to b&b: I had to do all the form-filling in the library, whose computers could be used by each person for only an hour per day, so I was slightly later that year!

8 minutes ago, Athy said:

No, not late at all: there are a full three weeks until the deadline. I normally reserve the second week of January for the task - I see that last year I paid the bill on the 15th so in fact I am early this year. The only time that my scheduling misfired was 2011 when we had our house fire and had to move out to b&b: I had to do all the form-filling in the library, whose computers could be used by each person for only an hour per day, so I was slightly later that year!

Personally i like to get rid of it as soon as I can. I normally pay the forthcoming July balancing payment at the same time as the January one so I don't forget.

Having all but stopped work I've only got to do it once more after the end of my financial year next April. 

Just now, Loddon said:

Personally i like to get rid of it as soon as I can. I normally pay the forthcoming July balancing payment at the same time as the January one so I don't forget.

Having all but stopped work I've only got to do it once more after the end of my financial year next April. 

Well, you have your preferred schedule and I have mine, and as long as they both work for us (barring any further house fires) that's fine. I make only one payment per year, not sure what a "balancing" payment is, but they haven't asked me for one.

On 10/01/2019 at 14:51, cuthound said:

Looks like you have lost weight Biz, there is hardly anything of you now! ?

He would have lost a lot of blood when someone shoved his head through that glass door, I'm not surprised he's not looking his best.

Seems strange to me that when white folk have dreads, it's due to being a mucky oik who doesn't brush or wash their hair, but the rastas I know spend hours cleaning and caring for their locks.  The crusties give people the idea that locks are dirty, when in fact it's the complete opposite.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, doratheexplorer said:

Seems strange to me that when white folk have dreads, it's due to being a mucky oik who doesn't brush or wash their hair, but the rastas I know spend hours cleaning and caring for their locks.  The crusties give people the idea that locks are dirty, when in fact it's the complete opposite.

A bit of a generalisation there... Do you know any white people with dreads??

5 minutes ago, canalhippy said:

I used to see a fair few in Brighton. The annoying bit about them was that they put on fake Ja. accents.

5 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

Seems strange to me that when white folk have dreads, it's due to being a mucky oik who doesn't brush or wash their hair

My OH had dreadlocks when we met nearly 20 years ago and I assure you that she spent more time tending her hair than any lass I'd previously shared bathroom space with. 

I wouldn't take that one example and assume that all white dread heads are the epitome of hirsutorial elegance though... 

I try to avoid generalisations. 

Edited by carlt

On 10/01/2019 at 17:31, Loddon said:

Well in the olden days (pre 2008!) you could get interest worth mentioning on your tax money, so paying the bill as late as possible made sense.  Doing your online return before the computers crash in the last week of January makes sense though.

On 25/12/2018 at 10:10, carlt said:

As a Yorkshireman I sympathise with the rastafarian claim to exclusive rights to the wearing of dreadlocks. 

I am starting a campaign to stop non-yorkshire folk eating our puddings. 

Cultural appropriation at its most insidious. 

Nah, no one else want short arms and long pockets. Tha'll be reet lad. 

On 25/12/2018 at 10:10, carlt said:

Edited by Jim Riley

• 1 month later...
On 11/01/2019 at 18:35, canalhippy said:

Do you know any white people with dreads??

Perhaps it's just because I have ties to a different part of the country (lots of vikings up here) but when I see a white person with dreads, both men and women, my first (and pretty much only) associative thought is of Celtic, Norse, and Pictish warriors. I wouldn't say dreads common up here and when you do see someone with them they're usually tied back in some way, but as far as I'm aware most people don't automatically associate the with drug smokers or grubby oiks. I would also say, and I'm just guessing here, that the number of women with dreads probbly far out weigh men with them. 

But like I mentioned we have a big old mish mash of Celtic, Norse, Pictish influences and very little Rastafarian - loads of hippies though. :D

Just thought Canalhippy might like a slightly different view point.  

Edited by Tumshie
  • Greenie 1

On 11/01/2019 at 18:35, canalhippy said:

There’s some livaboard boaters I know of who are white people with dreads. They’ve got the scruffy boats, scabby V.W.’s, all very cool. 

The last time I passed them I gave the usual friendly nod, said hello as you do, and got completely ignored. 

A couple of days later on my return I slipped on my very impressive rasta wig and hey presto, I was now cool enough to be acknowledged by previously deaf and dumb boaters! 

Tossers.