Source of classic barge paintings?

jenevers

Featured Posts

I can't think of a book offhand, but you may be interested in a web site which has hundreds of photos and occasional paintings of ships, barges and docks in and around Hull. Look in particular at the sections covering bargemen and rivercraft.

http://thedocksofhull.weebly.com/

I hope you find it interesting

Howard

Edited by howardang

Not paintings but good photographs.

Brightwork by Mike Clarke (Pluto of this parish) - Traditional Paintwork on Leeds & Liverpool Canal Boats. All wide craft

The illustrated history of Canal & River Navigations by Edward Paget-Tomlinson. ISBN 1-84306-207-0

Edited by Ray T

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/12/2018 at 16:52, howardang said:

I can't think of a book offhand, but you may be interested in a web site which has hundreds of photos and occasional paintings of ships, barges and docks in and around Hull. Look in particular at the sections covering bargemen and rivercraft.

http://thedocksofhull.weebly.com/

I hope you find it interesting

Howard

Great photos. Thanks. I wish I could have seen how the Scotts lighters were handled. I believe they used to go up and down the river Hull with the tides.

On 24/12/2018 at 17:32, Ray T said:

Not paintings but good photographs.

Brightwork by Mike Clarke (Pluto of this parish) - Traditional Paintwork on Leeds & Liverpool Canal Boats. All wide craft

The illustrated history of Canal & River Navigations by Edward Paget-Tomlinson. ISBN 1-84306-207-0

Thanks for the info.

• 1 month later...
On 07/01/2019 at 00:05, Chris M Jones said:

There was a book titled Reuben Chappell - Pierhead Painter by Robert Jones 2006 who painted Humber Keels & Sloops but how many are in the book I don't know.

To see examples of his works just go on Google images or the artuk.org website and search for Reuben Chappell.

Thanks for the info?

i know from working the Antiques for Everyone one, that waterways paintings, watercolours, lithographs, drawings and etchings is a very complicated subject. Some dealers do have images on their websites from time to time. One of the complications is artistic licence where the view may not represent what can be seen, but is the individual interpretation of the artist. Accurate reproductions are often published in books, but there remains a wealth of unpublished material that could aid the understanding of waterways history. The late Stanley Holland made a start with articles published in Waterways World.

A few years a ago,a watercolour by Henry Charles Fox was on sale. It depicts a Barge said to be Swarkestone, Notts. The view is of a Trent Boat evidently on the Upper Trent above Cavendish Bridge. The view post dates the general navigation of the Upper Trent, but there remained a traffic in Plaster to Kings Mill- could this view depict this?

Swarkestone, Notts.jpg

Edited by Heartland