2LW Starter battery

Cloudinspector

Featured Posts

Either a 643 or 644 size battery from a decent supplier will be fine.  The difference between them is the post layout. Google will provide details.

You want 600-700 CCA for those frosty mornings in the middle of nowhere.  Ah capacity is not very  important if the engine is in good order as it only uses a few Ah to get a start.

N

On 24/12/2018 at 07:37, BEngo said:

Either a 643 or 644 size battery from a decent supplier will be fine.  The difference between them is the post layout. Google will provide details.

You want 600-700 CCA for those frosty mornings in the middle of nowhere.  Ah capacity is not very  important if the engine is in good order as it only uses a few Ah to get a start.

N

Perfect, thank you.

I had a nasty surprise once with a setup where the motor always started instantly,even on the frostiest morning......or so it seemed..................took a trip to Tasmania.....about 5 below C........the motor just cranked and cranked.......clouds of white smoke,but would not start....Certainly gave me a surprise,thats for sure..............

Time for a touch of heat down the inlet then.

I suppose even diesel has a dew point below which it will not vapourise.

My old Ford E04A Anglia, 997cc side valve with 6v battery demanded a burning oily rag on the inlet manifold in really cold weather or you just killed the battery.

• 2 months later...

This post is getting old but this may be of interest. Last week I was installing some more batteries on my boat and waned to check the starting current.

Gardner 3LW turning over cold (not run for weeks) 8C ambient temp, engine probably colder. 

With the decompressor on 300A peak and around 280 spinning engine over. Decompressor off, current approx 380A but cycling with compression strokes. Measurements taken with the fuel rack shut off so that I could check the current without the engine starting.

• Greenie 1