Two week cruise from Stoke Prior

krip2454

Featured Posts

Me and 'er indoors are booked for a fortnight at the end of June on the Kennet & Avon. I have cruised the canals several times whereas the missus hasn't, so she wouldn't want anything too exhausting. We are in our sixties, The Avon Ring looks ok, but a tad concerned about cruising the River Avon. Does it hide any horrors? And how much is the licence we have to buy?

The Warwickshire Ring is apparently for "a more active fortnight". Personally, I love operating all the locks. It is an integral part of the holiday. SWMBO is a bit of a wimp when it comes to physical exertion so she would have to pilot our boat.........?.

Seriously though. Any tips/ideas would be very welcome.

Thanks in anticipation ??

I'm a bit puzzled. Stoke Prior is on the Worcester & Birmingham canal so what's the connection with two weeks on the Kennet & Avon?

Assuming it's Black Prince boats at Stoke Prior the Avon Ring would be good choice for a two week cruise with plenty of time to explore further afield on foot or boat. It certainly gives time to add Birmingham into the mix. Note that this is not the same River Avon as in the Kennet & Avon, this could explain the confusion.

There aren't horrors on the Avon providing the water levels are OK but it does rise and fall quickly and the locks have fierce flows - particularly in the uphill direction. The hire base will keep you advised of conditions and if either the Severn or Avon are not suitable you wouldn't be allowed on as a hire boater. Check with the boatyard regarding the licence, this is a very common route for their boats so may be included and if not may be pre-arrangeable.

Also note that Stoke Prior hire base is immediately below a flight of 35 locks and if you do the Avon Ring you will have to do them in one direction. If you went up to King's Norton to join the Warwickshire Ring you'd have to do them in both directions. Not sure that fits your brief.

The other common route from Stoke Prior is the Stourport Ring but it is a comfortable one week cruise. The Avon Ring is longer and generally a 10 day minimum.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg

Essentially "Avon" is an old English word for River, so when the Romans came over here they kept accosting the locals, pointing to the local river, and asking "what do you call that?".  The locals replied "Avon", so many of our rivers got renamed as the River Avon, or essentially "River River".

The K&A itself has two separate River Avons, though only one is navigable.

If you do the K&A then a trip on the "Bristol Avon" down to Bristol is highly recommended. Bath to Bristol can be easily done in a longish day, but the Avon can come up quickly after rain.

...............Dave

37 minutes ago, Cheese said:

If from Stoke Prior I guess you don't mean the Kennet & Avon?

Oops. You're quite right.

14 minutes ago, dmr said:

Essentially "Avon" is an old English word for River, so when the Romans came over here they kept accosting the locals, pointing to the local river, and asking "what do you call that?".  The locals replied "Avon", so many of our rivers got renamed as the River Avon, or essentially "River River".

The K&A itself has two separate River Avons, though only one is navigable.

If you do the K&A then a trip on the "Bristol Avon" down to Bristol is highly recommended. Bath to Bristol can be easily done in a longish day, but the Avon can come up quickly after rain.

...............Dave

And yes, I have got my Avon's all about face. Thanks for the info. Interesting.

34 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

I'm a bit puzzled. Stoke Prior is on the Worcester & Birmingham canal so what's the connection with two weeks on the Kennet & Avon?

Assuming it's Black Prince boats at Stoke Prior the Avon Ring would be good choice for a two week cruise with plenty of time to explore further afield on foot or boat. It certainly gives time to add Birmingham into the mix. Note that this is not the same River Avon as in the Kennet & Avon, this could explain the confusion.

There aren't horrors on the Avon providing the water levels are OK but it does rise and fall quickly and the locks have fierce flows - particularly in the uphill direction. The hire base will keep you advised of conditions and if either the Severn or Avon are not suitable you wouldn't be allowed on as a hire boater. Check with the boatyard regarding the licence, this is a very common route for their boats so may be included and if not may be pre-arrangeable.

Also note that Stoke Prior hire base is immediately below a flight of 35 locks and if you do the Avon Ring you will have to do them in one direction. If you went up to King's Norton to join the Warwickshire Ring you'd have to do them in both directions. Not sure that fits your brief.

The other common route from Stoke Prior is the Stourport Ring but it is a comfortable one week cruise. The Avon Ring is longer and generally a 10 day minimum.

JP

Yes, we are starting from the Worcester & Birmingham. Got my Avons mixed up.

Thank you for your reply.

Edited by krip2454

2 minutes ago, krip2454 said:

Yes, we are starting from the Worcester & Birmingham. but intend to use the Kennet and Avon. Or maybe not.....

Thank you for your reply.

Well.....you could get from the W&B to the K&A in two weeks, but would have no chance of getting back again ?

...............Dave 

1 hour ago, krip2454 said:

Me and 'er indoors are booked for a fortnight at the end of June on the Kennet & Avon. I have cruised the canals several times whereas the missus hasn't, so she wouldn't want anything too exhausting. We are in our sixties, The Avon Ring looks ok, but a tad concerned about cruising the River Avon. Does it hide any horrors? And how much is the licence we have to buy?

The Warwickshire Ring is apparently for "a more active fortnight". Personally, I love operating all the locks. It is an integral part of the holiday. SWMBO is a bit of a wimp when it comes to physical exertion so she would have to pilot our boat.........?.

Seriously though. Any tips/ideas would be very welcome.

Thanks in anticipation ??

The Avon ring is a bit rushed in 7 days, 10 days are really better, so you can spend a couple days in Stratford.  The Avon & Severn are fine as long as there hasn't been lots of rain a few days before your trip. The Avon licence is £50 for 7 days.

The Stourport ring is also very pleasant as long as you don't mind plenty of locks.

If doing the Avon ring from Stoke Prior I would head north first up Tardebigge flight then down the Stratford canal - you will have time for a diversion into Birmingham. Join the Avon at Stratford - the lockks are easier going down hill. Its worth spending time on the Avon as the towns are interesting. We liked Pershore and Tewksbury. Worcester is also a good stopping point. You may also have time to go to up to Stourport and back. If the river levels are high when you get to Stratford you will have to retrace your path. Above all relax and enjoy the trip. It would be worth by the relevant Pearson or Nicholson guide to help plan your route.

PS stop at Wedgies bakery at Hockley Heath on the North Stratford for good bread and cakes.

2 minutes ago, Richard T said:

If doing the Avon ring from Stoke Prior I would head north first up Tardebigge flight then down the Stratford canal - you will have time for a diversion into Birmingham. Join the Avon at Stratford - the lockks are easier going down hill. Its worth spending time on the Avon as the towns are interesting. We liked Pershore and Tewksbury. Worcester is also a good stopping point. You may also have time to go to up to Stourport and back. If the river levels are high when you get to Stratford you will have to retrace your path. Above all relax and enjoy the trip. It would be worth by the relevant Pearson or Nicholson guide to help plan your route.

PS stop at Wedgies bakery at Hockley Heath on the North Stratford for good bread and cakes.

I think Wedgies changed hands a year or two ago and the new owners are possibly "building up" the business. Its still good and worth a stop but not quite as special as it used to be.

................Dave

Went through Hockley Heath twice this summer, Wedgies was so good for bread and cold meats/pies we used it twice. Other good stop on the Avon ring is Upton on Severn. Only a short pontoon but you can use the inside as well and best up. Agree with Richard T about Pershore and Tewkesbury, also Worcester was full of history. We spent about 4 days there waiting for batteries and weren't bored at all.