Mahoghany Sign

mark99

Featured Posts

Why not bung the pic above in a photo editing program and try it albeit virtually.

Take ten minutes and it will look real .You will then know exactly which you prefer...

Gold leaf would look nice too ?(I had a name put on mahogany type wood board done like this several years ago)

• Greenie 1

My suggestion is to paint in the gully, maybe a red primer coat under the gold leaf, or you can buy tiny pots of red gold paint, it's sometimes seen on picture frames, sold in art shops.

Or use Humbrol enamel paints which are best for detailed jobs. Tiny pots., red/white/black

There is a new technique which I think you could consider. Clear epoxy can be used instead of varnish for a high gloss finish. It's expensive and you would need to practice, and I'm not sure that it would not pool in the gully, but it is permanent. See youtube for "   clear epoxy table  "  There is a special expensive Gedeo Crystal

Resin

Another thing to enhance the grain is the lightest application of wood stain, wiped on with a cotton lint free cloth.

Use tack cloth to remove particles if varnishing or epoxying. You only get a perfect finish if there is no dust.

Edited by LadyG

The wood had its first coat of varnish to seal the grain (otherwise paint could be sucked into open grain making a clear edge actually blurr and lose crispness). How do you apply gold leaf? assume you apply a base "size" and then push in the leaf with brush on toop of size. Is it easy to remove leaf if it strays onto bits of wood where you don't want it?

Edited by mark99

32 minutes ago, mark99 said:

The wood had its first coat of varnish to seal the grain (otherwise paint could be sucked into open grain making a clear edge actually blurr and lose crispness). How do you apply gold leaf? assume you apply a base "size" and then push in the leaf with brush on toop of size. Is it easy to remove leaf if it strays onto bits of wood where you don't want it?

I found it very easy to achieve a really professional finish-I paid Dean Box who is the local signwriter to do it ?

Edited by PaulJ
Add name
  • Haha 1

I’d be wary of gold leaf on a diy basis. The leaf comes in 2 versions, loose or transfer. Loose is what it says, usually squares of gold 3 1/4”, while transfer is the same size squares on backing paper, much easier to handle. I’ve used both, in the past, but I’m long out of practice these days. I’d also be wary of Humbrol...not all of the colours give good coverage with a single coat, a signwriting enamel such as One Shot is preferable.

There you go Mark-found a (poor) pic . And before everyone rips the p out of the amount of fenders- I had just repainted all the white on hull and super and this was taken on the trip back from where it was lifted out and back to the moorings (hence the bike)☺️Sign.jpg.b88b356729733795184e8ac2133b2177.jpg

Edited by PaulJ
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, mark99 said:

The decision is in, thanks to all.

Will leave as the wood it too nice a grain but will put on a decent edge frame.

NB The chap who did this does quite a few engine ones eg Lister.

Are you going to tell us who he is, perchance?

6 hours ago, Jim Riley said:

Not heard that for a while, wonder how many understand the reference. 

Not me, unless it's a "comfort break" reference but I can't imagine an instruction to "sit on the heads"

Edited by LadyG

6 hours ago, Jim Riley said:

Not heard that for a while, wonder how many understand the reference. 

I would presume it refers to the old fashioned telephone operators putting their headphones back on after a tea break.

Most likely I'm wrong though - I usually am!

4 hours ago, Mad Harold said:

Have not heard that since about 1960!

While visiting a school in Sutton Bridge, at the end of morning break  said to my mate "back on us 'eds" as was common. The bluff Yorkshire deputy head commented approvingly.