How many pups are left

no.341

Featured Posts

I give up, what's the answer?

??

and were dog boxes and pigeon boxes ever used for same, it seems a bit daft to carry live pigeons when a sawn off shotgun could get you fresh meat most days.

Edited by LadyG

4 minutes ago, cereal tiller said:

I Mentioned Bolinder so you did not look like a M.U.G.

Please God I'll never look like a MUG, but tell me, what is the answer? or do I have to google "Bolinder pup"?

Edited by LadyG

7 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Please God I'll never look like a MUG, but tell me, what is the answer? or do I have to google "Bolinder pup"?

A Bolinder PUP  is a Swedish single Cylinder Diesel Industrial Engine which found it's way into quite a few Canal Boats ,it was Small enough and Fairly reliable .previous Diesels were too big for Small Boats.

Edited by LadyG

1 minute ago, cereal tiller said:

A Bolinder PUP  is a Swedish single Cylinder Diesel Industrial Engine which found it's way into quite a few Canal Boats ,it was Small enough and Fairly reliable .previous Diesels were too big for Small Boats.

So is that the one that goes pop ....  blop.... pop... blop... , I know that's a Bolinder, were they all Pups?

45 minutes ago, cereal tiller said:

I know very little about Bolinders , they Transformed into Volvo a bit later or became part of Volvo.

Bolinder merged with Munktell in 1932 and made tractors. The Bolinder Munktell company was aquired by Volvo in 1950 and continued to make tractors under the Bolinder Munktell name until the early 1970's when the name changed to Volvo. They still make tractors today.

edited:- for spelling error

Edited by David Schweizer
  • Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

Bolinder merged with Munktell in 1932 and made tractors. The Bolinder Minktell company was aquired by Volvo in 1950 and continued to make tractors under the Bolinder Munktell name until the early 1970's when the name changed to Volvo. Thet still make tractors today

Thank You  David , I always knew that there was a Link between those Companies .just never quite sure what/when it was.

6 minutes ago, Mike Tee said:

Slightly off 'Barking Pups' but does anybody have the link to Koukouvagia's Kelvin as a backing group to a towpath singer? I've often looked but can't find it.

Found this one of OWL, Kelvin K2, with accompaniment.

Edited by Ray T

1 hour ago, David Schweizer said:

The Bolinder Munktell company was aquired by Volvo in 1950 and continued to make tractors under the Bolinder Munktell name until the early 1970's when the name changed to Volvo. They still make tractors today

If you look at really big yellow earth movers and dump trucks some are badged VolvoBM.  The BM stands for Bolinder Munktell.

N

As I don't think it has been stated, although I'm no expert on Bolinders the "Pup" was the 9HP engine, I think, largely intended for use in motors that worked singly.

Where a boat was used in a pair with a butty the 15HP, (and possibly other models) were ar more common.

From memory of previous threads on this topic (on CWDF and elsewhere) very few of the Bolinders now in preserved historic boats are the 9HP "Pup".  Most are the more powerful 15HP model, even in FMC boats that might have once had a "Pup".

If a definitive list has been published of what engine s in which boats, I don't know where to find it.

I think Minnow has had a Pup in relatively recent history, but as what is now in it has a gearbox, I'm guessing what is currently there is larger.  As usual, I may be wrong. FMC boats and Bolinders are not really my forte!

1 minute ago, philjw said:

Maybe?

Amy The Pup Built by Unknown - Length : 13.25 metres ( 43 feet 6 inches ) - Beam : 2.13 metres ( 7 feet ) - Draft : 0.76 metres ( 2 feet 6 inches ). Metal hull N/A power of 999 HP. Registered with Canal & River Trust number 77822 as a Powered Motor Boat.  ( Last updated on Wednesday 22nd May 2013 )

They wee 9HP, I think, not 999HP! ?

52 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

As I don't think it has been stated, although I'm no expert on Bolinders the "Pup" was the 9HP engine, I think, largely intended for use in motors that worked singly.

Where a boat was used in a pair with a butty the 15HP, (and possibly other models) were ar more common.

From memory of previous threads on this topic (on CWDF and elsewhere) very few of the Bolinders now in preserved historic boats are the 9HP "Pup".  Most are the more powerful 15HP model, even in FMC boats that might have once had a "Pup".

If a definitive list has been published of what engine s in which boats, I don't know where to find it.

I think Minnow has had a Pup in relatively recent history, but as what is now in it has a gearbox, I'm guessing what is currently there is larger.  As usual, I may be wrong. FMC boats and Bolinders are not really my forte!

They wee 9HP, I think, not 999HP! ?

Perhaps Ike had the turbo version? ?

Edited by cuthound
Ike, not auto corrected One

48 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Not to go off topic, but is Kelvin a Glasgow engineering/shipbuilding  company, and anything to do with Kelvin Hughes [Glasgow]

Kelvin was indeed a Glaswegian manufacturer of engines, run by a family called Bergius and located in Dobbie's Loan which is probably not as picturesque as it sounds. Their speciality was fishing boat engines and they survived until fairly recent times. This is from memory, I'm sure others will give more accurate information.

Kelvin Hughes? Didn't he play right-half for Leicester City?