Cover for tiller bearing

Troyg

Featured Posts

The best solution is fit a splash washer below the counter and use lots of grease ( not many people realise there is a grease nipple) and fill the void at the top with a good finger gull of grease to stop water collecting on the top of the bearing.

3 hours ago, J R ALSOP said:

The best solution is fit a splash washer below the counter and use lots of grease ( not many people realise there is a grease nipple) and fill the void at the top with a good finger gull of grease to stop water collecting on the top of the bearing.

Don’t use water soluble grease... :)

Sure it can get wet from below but only under power and usually only reverse. So a few minutes here and there. But from the top it’s water sitting there 24/7 particularly this time of year. Can’t be a bad thing to cover it I say. I’ve had to already change the beating so would like to make its life as long a possible. Only cost a fiver....

5 hours ago, Troyg said:

Sure it can get wet from below but only under power and usually only reverse. So a few minutes here and there. But from the top it’s water sitting there 24/7 particularly this time of year. Can’t be a bad thing to cover it I say. I’ve had to already change the beating so would like to make its life as long a possible. Only cost a fiver....

Looks good to me, as you say without it water and snow lay in the race until they creep through or evaporate,  My bearing life has been extended since I fitted it

• 1 year later...

Hi troyg ,I have exactly the same tiller and bearing housing on my boat ,and was wondering if you knew what make or part no the cv boot might be because it looks a spot on fit, and like you too I have recently fitted a new bearing and do not want water sitting in the top of it .any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks Matty, yep I better get searching,just another problem to solve,don't mind really ,New to boating ,but am enjoying the challenges.42foot narrow boat had since may 2019.love it.it makes land rover and motorbike projects look like kids stuff!!!