Sustrans Pays For Repair of Lift Bridge - Edinburgh

Tim Lewis

Featured Posts

My one encounter with Sustrans was not positive. Whilst working as a K&A Trust volunteer at Frome road Wharf in Bradford on Avon,  a Sustrans representative came into the workshops with the intention of gaining our support for the Sustrans proposals to make the Towpath a cycleway. His manner was arrogant and bullying, and when we questioned the details of his proposal, he accused us of not being environmentally friendly, and told us quite forcefully, that we did not know what we were talking about. He eventually stormed off in a huff,  got into his series five BMW, and roared off out of the car park in a cloud of dust, we were not impressed.

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

My one encounter with Sustrans was not positive. Whilst working as a K&A Trust volunteer at Frome road Wharf in Bradford on Avon,  a Sustrans representative came into the workshops with the intention of gaining our support for the Sustrans proposals to make the Towpath a cycleway. His manner was arrogant and bullying, and when we questioned the details of his proposal, he accused us of not being environmentally friendly, and told us quite forcefully, that we did not know what we were talking about. He eventually stormed off in a huff,  got into his series five BMW, and roared off out of the car park in a cloud of dust, we were not impressed.

Series 5 BMW or not, it would be a dangerous assumption to think that Sustrans employees are excessively paid for the work they do.

This is probably more realistic.

https://www.indeed.co.uk/cmp/Sustrans/salaries

Certainly doesn't seem to be top league compared to (say) CRT.

I'm sure you are sensible enough not to judge an organisation based solely on the behaviour of one of it's employees.  Every organisation tends to have some idiots within it, and I suspect it is more that you got unlucky than that he was typical of the whole organisation.

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, alan_fincher said:

Series 5 BMW or not, it would be a dangerous assumption to think that Sustrans employees are excessively paid for the work they do.

This is probably more realistic.

https://www.indeed.co.uk/cmp/Sustrans/salaries

Certainly doesn't seem to be top league compared to (say) CRT.

I'm sure you are sensible enough not to judge an organisation based solely on the behaviour of one of it's employees.  Every organisation tends to have some idiots within it, and I suspect it is more that you got unlucky than that he was typical of the whole organisation.

As far as I remember the person who came to se us was not an employee, but a Trustee of Sustrans who lived locally, and the impression he gave did the organization he was representing no credit.

Edited to add:- This was nearly 25 years ago, so maybe things are different now.

Edited by David Schweizer

In fairness, the reports title doesn't mention Sustrans, and if it is their work that has secured the funding then they deserve fair mention even if they did not directly find it. 

I got much praise in the office for getting air-conditioning fitted shortly after my arrival (dont like AC, but it hit 38deg) even though all I did was discuss it with my boss and pen a well drafted email that was circulated by the directors. 

Daniel