Licensed boat as electric

peterboat

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, peterboat said:

Brian you can hire electric Broads cruisers they have solar and a generator backup, but hirers were commenting that this summer the gennie wasnt needed.

I think, at least on CRT waters, such a set up would breach the rules regarding discounted licence fees.

If it were that easy we could all use the main engine as a genset, fit an electric motor to the propshaft and have a small battery inbetween that allegedly was in constant need of "generator backup".

George

3 hours ago, furnessvale said:

I think, at least on CRT waters, such a set up would breach the rules regarding discounted licence fees.

If it were that easy we could all use the main engine as a genset, fit an electric motor to the propshaft and have a small battery inbetween that allegedly was in constant need of "generator backup".

George

Doesnt George this months Canal boat has electric motor battery bank and diesel genny 25% discount given, thats a widebeam as well on CRT waters. It does like me have a lot of solar as well

12 hours ago, Mad Harold said:

Very interesting.  Could you tell me where to find more info about electric propulsion.? I am sure others will also be interested.

My specific questions are:    how many batteries and what type are required?    does the motor have a gearbox,or does the motor itself reverse?

how many hours cruising can you get from a fully charged battery bank?    Many thanks.

I have a large 48 volt forklift motor running direct drive at 69 volts, it reverses at the flick of a switch. I also have 10 LifePo4 batteries in two banks of five, they sit where the engine sat. I have a 24 volt whispergen for domestic power which charge another 4 LifePo4 batteries [all batteries are 138ah] and hot water/central heating, I also have a Rayburn royal for hot water/central heating. Info well I am an engineer so I have learned it I suppose

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, furnessvale said:

When they did the licence review last year, CRT said they were going to look at exactly this - quite a few of the consultation responses were pointing out that it's less "green" to do it that way than to just run a diesel engine.

The discount is correct for Peter's boat - but might well disappear in the future.