Licensed boat as electric

peterboat

Featured Posts

Well I licenses my boat today as an electric boat it felt good to get that 25% discount, I did it through the marina owner, and he had already phoned CRT up to see what they required, as it happens its nothing just a note from him to say its true [which it is]

It will be next year before its all finished but by the time cruising season is upon us it will be nice to do a truly silent cruise, and with the steering system I bough over 6 years ago?

28 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Well I licenses my boat today as an electric boat it felt good to get that 25% discount, I did it through the marina owner, and he had already phoned CRT up to see what they required, as it happens its nothing just a note from him to say its true [which it is]

It will be next year before its all finished but by the time cruising season is upon us it will be nice to do a truly silent cruise, and with the steering system I bough over 6 years ago?

Boats which don't work properly DESERVE 25% off!! :giggles:

• Haha 1

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

They are all doing GREAT, thanks!!

sold any of them recently? I have a lovely low hours 50 HP Barrus Shire and gearbox for sale if you happen to need one Mike

25 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I sort  of imagine a long shaft Seagull, but I suspect there will be cables/batteries/solar etc

No its about 18 inch long and 12 inches in diameter, and can push a 30 ton boat along, batteries are hidden, and 3,6 KW of solar is on the roof

• Greenie 1

Five years ago, i looked into the feasibility of an all electric boat with massive battery and solar banks. I think the idea is fabulous, but at the time the cost was prohibitive and the technology not quite there. 

I wish you every success. Is your boat a wide beam? How big is you battery bank?Also do you have a generator to charge your batteries in the winter?

Cheers

Mike

• Greenie 1

I have 5 years experience of pure electric boating - my solution is a light, easily driven boat relying on shore hook-ups each night.  It is only practical during fine summer weather, and on waterways where electric points are available.

I wish anyone with a heavy steel boat the best of luck, but I am not convinced it can ever be independent of shore supplies.

It's 10 years since I left the Broads but even then there were shed loads of electric powered boats both private and trip boats so what Peter has done is just followed BUT he  has made great improvements to what had gone before and his version is far superior so the sceptics and neersayers had been proved wrong many years ago.

Phil

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Murflynn said:

I have 5 years experience of pure electric boating - my solution is a light, easily driven boat relying on shore hook-ups each night.  It is only practical during fine summer weather, and on waterways where electric points are available.

I wish anyone with a heavy steel boat the best of luck, but I am not convinced it can ever be independent of shore supplies.

Do you have any Heating on the Boat?

10 hours ago, peterboat said:

sold any of them recently? I have a lovely low hours 50 HP Barrus Shire and gearbox for sale if you happen to need one Mike

No its about 18 inch long and 12 inches in diameter, and can push a 30 ton boat along, batteries are hidden, and 3,6 KW of solar is on the roof

That's good, but can you stop your boat within a safe distance, cruise against a moderate current and control it in a strong crossword?

11 hours ago, peterboat said:

Very interesting.  Could you tell me where to find more info about electric propulsion.? I am sure others will also be interested.

My specific questions are:    how many batteries and what type are required?    does the motor have a gearbox,or does the motor itself reverse?

how many hours cruising can you get from a fully charged battery bank?    Many thanks.

7 hours ago, Phil Ambrose said:

It's 10 years since I left the Broads but even then there were shed loads of electric powered boats both private and trip boats so what Peter has done is just followed BUT he  has made great improvements to what had gone before and his version is far superior so the sceptics and neersayers had been proved wrong many years ago.

Phil

I thought the BA were the only ones with a totally off grid electric boat Ra and that costs an arm and a leg to keep going plus its now consigned to Whitlingham broad. They have the Eel but I think like most broads electric boats its charged from the mains overnight

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

I thought the BA were the only ones with a totally off grid electric boat Ra and that costs an arm and a leg to keep going plus its now consigned to Whitlingham broad. They have the Eel but I think like most broads electric boats its charged from the mains overnight

Brian you can hire electric Broads cruisers they have solar and a generator backup, but hirers were commenting that this summer the gennie wasnt needed.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

Perfectly correct Brian, however the point I was trying to make was that electric drive is not new in anyway and it is perfectly suited for use, ie not some sort of gimmick.

It's rather like solar panels,  when I first fitted 5 x 100 watt panels about 15 years ago I was constantly being told they don't work, a waste of money etc and if you look around there are still plenty who poo-poo PV arrays .

Phil

Edited by Phil Ambrose
  • Greenie 1

47 minutes ago, Phil Ambrose said:

however the point I was trying to make was that electric drive is not new in anyway and it is perfectly suited for use, ie not some sort of gimmick.

There were electric boats on the Thames in the 1890s.

https://www.electricboatassociation.org/history.php

Edited by David Mack
  • Greenie 1