Big electric barge

peterboat

Featured Posts

The narrative goes off topic at one stage, tell us  how we will enjoy time abroad [err that's "aboard"] I suspect not many get that far in to the script as it is sleep inducing after the first five minutes.

It's full on computer generated, everything is "perfect".

It seems the next generation of containers will be 40 feet rather than 20ft, what fun when they try to negotiate a road junction in central London.

Edited by LadyG

I can't find the link now but I think there is already a similar vessel operating in Holland, How on earth you re charge that sort of thing is anybodys guess but if the regular route is , say, Rotterdam to a container distribution 'railhead' 100 miles inland then you can see the potential. Theres a lot of container traffic from Rotterdam, some of it could be electric, some of it certainly not, I have no figures but right at the top of the Rhine this year there was a lot of containers going to Basel, that would take an awfully big battery.

46 minutes ago, LadyG said:

The narrative goes off topic at one stage, tell us  how we will enjoy time abroad [err that's "aboard"] I suspect not many get that far in to the script as it is sleep inducing after the first five minutes.

You got further down the page than I did. I had seen only the photo, not a video - which, after reading your assessment, I shan't now bother watching.

2 hours ago, matty40s said:

Careful of spam.

Very spammy. ?

13 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Emission free ? Not,  maybe at point of use but that excludes manufacture and end of life emissions. Usual Tesla spin.

There are electric ferries all ready up and running in both Norway and New Zealand both of which are powered by renewables not coal or oil. 

• Greenie 1

31 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Emission free ? Not,  maybe at point of use but that excludes manufacture and end of life emissions. Usual Tesla spin.

Very true, same goes for so much, If only we could rely on getting information free of commercial propaganda and spin without having to dig for it. We are immersed in a whole world of misinformation from industry, banks, shops, manufacturers and anybody who seeks power and money from us. Meanwhile the truth tends to come from a few scattered badly funded sources and people continue to make poor decisions.

• Greenie 1

16 minutes ago, Bee said:

Very true, same goes for so much, If only we could rely on getting information free of commercial propaganda and spin without having to dig for it. We are immersed in a whole world of misinformation from industry, banks, shops, manufacturers and anybody who seeks power and money from us. Meanwhile the truth tends to come from a few scattered badly funded sources and people continue to make poor decisions.

And their are no problems with burning and making fossil fuels then? Electric can be relatively clean diesel is dirty from the moment it leaves the ground until its burnt! Give me wind turbines every time

22 minutes ago, Bee said:

With out wanting to get in in to a head ache inducing argument about it but the flip side of the is that people often close their minds to the things they don't like and refer to it as spin.

Anti-vaxxers are adamant that the need to vaccinate their children is spin

Flat earthers are adamant that the one about the earth being round is spin (no pun)

We tend to believe the long established companies because they are know factors in our minds, so....

The gas and oil industry would have you believe climate change is spin

British Gas would have you believe anti fracking is spin. 

There is very little the human mind can't convince it's self of when it suits us. 

Edited by Tumshie
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Tumshie said:

Very spammy. ?

There are electric ferries all ready up and running in both Norway and New Zealand both of which are powered by renewables not coal or oil. 

The manufacture of the ferries will have a carbon footprint as will the end of life disposal even if they are powered by renewables.

So not completely "green" despite what the marketing says.

1 hour ago, peterboat said:

And their are no problems with burning and making fossil fuels then? Electric can be relatively clean diesel is dirty from the moment it leaves the ground until its burnt! Give me wind turbines every time

Ooo wind powered ships that is a good idea ;)

Now if they were made out of trees using hand tools they might just be able to be considered as green.

Edited by Loddon
  • Greenie 2

6 minutes ago, Loddon said:

The manufacture of the ferries will have a carbon footprint as will the end of life disposal even if they are powered by renewables.

Now if they were made out of trees using hand tools they might just be able to be considered as green.

Yes those Rotary Sails may have a resurgence.then Ships would be directly Powered by 'Spin'?

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Years ago the ex father in law sailed as chief engineer on a 7 masted ship from Japan to the UK, he did a year on board, at the end it was a roaring success. so good that BP bought it, removed the masts and fitted engines! The big companies dont care about being green, they just want your money dont get sucked in

Edited by peterboat
  • Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Every thing that respires has a carbon foot print, And nothing we do beyond living the nomadic hunter / gatherer life style can be considered 100% green. 

I referred to it in a different thread as the various shades of green, but dismissing something in it's entirety because it's not 100% perfect seems a little....... extreme. 

1 hour ago, Tumshie said:

With out wanting to get in in to a head ache inducing argument about it but the flip side of the is that people often close their minds to the things they don't like and refer to it as spin.

Flat earthers are adamant that the one about the earth being round is spin (no pun)

We tend to believe the long established companies because they are know factors in our minds, so....

There is very little the human mind can't convince it's self of when it suits us. 

and don’t forget the one about feeding waterfowl bread causing angel wing

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, peterboat said:

AH! Yes, lovely clean wind turbines. Lets forget about the carbon produced during their manufacture and transportation and the hundreds of square miles of devastation in China and Africa in the quest for the rare earths used in the manufacture of the turbiines.

1 minute ago, artleknock said:

AH! Yes, lovely clean wind turbines. Lets forget about the carbon produced during their manufacture and transportation and the hundreds of square miles of devastation in China and Africa in the quest for the rare earths used in the manufacture of the turbiines.

And the same can be said of any power station except it a hundred times worse and never stops over its whole life

Just now, artleknock said:

Doeasn't change the fact that windmills are not the answer to everything. 42 is.

I remember that film! But turbines are a good way to go forward with a serious problem, This year I will with luck be a Grandad again if we dont sort out emissions he will never grow to be old

• Greenie 1

21 hours ago, Tumshie said:

The invincible ignorance fallacy is a deductive fallacy of circularity where the person in question simply refuses to believe the argument , ignoring any evidence given. It is not so much a fallacious tactic in argument as it is a refusal to argue in the proper sense of the word, the method instead being to either make assertions with no consideration of objections or to simply dismiss objections by calling them excuses, conjecture, etc. or saying that they are proof of nothing; all without actually demonstrating how the objection fit these terms. 

Very common amongst quitters! 

On 18/12/2018 at 07:27, LadyG said:

It's full on computer generated, everything is "perfect".

It seems the next generation of containers will be 40 feet rather than 20ft, what fun when they try to negotiate a road junction in central London.

40 foot containers have been around since they were first used AFAIK.

I knew a girl once, everyone called her ''Big electric Marge''. The reason for this was because she seemed choc full of electricity. When she combed her hair or took her blouse off it all crackled with static. She looked like a bunch of sparklers crackling on bonfire night, no one ever dared to touch her for fear of sudden death by electrocution. There was never a watch made that she could wear without it stopping or going backwards. Yes, Big Electric Marge

was highly charged.

Edited by bizzard