Survey Plans Grand Junction

mark99

Featured Posts

11 hours ago, mark99 said:

Anyone know where to view the original proposed plans for the southern half of the Grand Union/Junction?

Probably the best person to ask is John Benson at the National Waterways Museum in Ellesmere Port, John is an archivist there.  Normal CRT e-mail Fname.Lname@canalrivertrust.org.uk

Edited by Leo No2

11 hours ago, mark99 said:

Anyone know where to view the original proposed plans for the southern half of the Grand Union/Junction?

As it is a canal promoted in 1793, the deposited plans should be in the House of Lords Library. I couldn't see anything in the list of GJC records at Kew, though the boat registers from 1818-1833 may be of interest to some. I have attached an outline of sources, but it was done about 30 years ago, so there may be more available today.

Grand Junc Canal 061.jpg

Thanks. The portion I'm interested in (Colne Valley) does not have a lot of detailed maps readily avaialble (if any) before 1805.

I'm interested in how the canal threaded it's way through the original watercourses.

22 minutes ago, mark99 said:

Thanks. The portion I'm interested in (Colne Valley) does not have a lot of detailed maps readily avaialble (if any) before 1805.

I'm interested in how the canal threaded it's way through the original watercourses.

re underground water courses Mark?

Mark,

It's worth looking at a geological map of the valley running from Watford down to West Drayton and beyond, draining the Colne, Fray and Chess. It's gravel with lots of peat and one long run of marsh and bogs. Useful road crossings were rare -  at Watford and Uxbridge. In the early 1980's I was part of a development group building houses at Harefield, ground conditions caused lots of problems with foundation design, machinery movements (particularly piling derricks). Sub ground water, running streams - I recall one Irish worker starting  a pump to try and pump out a foundation trench.........he could not understand why the level never went down......

Merry Christmas.

Mike.

• Greenie 2

24 minutes ago, LEO said:

- I recall one Irish worker starting  a pump to try and pump out a foundation trench.........he could not understand why the level never went down.....

...sorry, we aren't allowed jokes like this any more, a moderator will be around shortly to remove your computer, sink your boat and give you the latest Caravan Club magazine.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, matty40s said:

...sorry, we aren't allowed jokes like this any more, a moderator will be around shortly to remove your computer, sink your boat and give you the latest Caravan Club magazine.

I wondered about that and tried to be as tactful as possible, but life was so different back then - the developer was a brilliant Irishman and the jokes he told were outstanding, almost makes Mrs Brown's Boys seem tame.

If you look on the Discovery Website for the PRO, you will note over 2000 references in different archives relating to the GJC.

There are many aspects to the Grand Junction and that includes the original scheme for the canal and altered routes. The records of John Rennie may be of use.

• Greenie 1