Leed Liverpool trip plan

Arthur Marshall

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

Now you're just winding us up!  The Oxford dictionary (with audio clip) says it rhymes with cow (or bough!) https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/bow

But the Oxford dictionary doesn’t have a definition for bowhaul. ?

The term originates from the bowline that was tied at the end of the line, to make the loop that was put around the upper body of the person towing the boat.

oh and it’s pronounced bowlin not bowline ?

Edited by jenevers

4 hours ago, howardang said:

Interesting variations in pronunciation. In  Hull Docks the lock gate paddles are always called, and  pronounced, Clews yet, as someone who was born very close to the L&L Canal,  I have always known Leeds & Liverpool paddles to be Cloughs, pronounced Cluffs, but some people call them Clows. I suspect a Lancastrian infiltration!!!:boat:

Howard

Hmm. Next time you’re in Hull have a look at the clews at the sea lock of Hull Marina (ex Humber Dock) They were made in Wigan, where cloughs are pronounced as in ploughs ?

Edited by jenevers

4 minutes ago, jenevers said:

Hmm. Next time you’re in Hull have a look at the clews at the sea lock of Hull Marina (ex Humber Dock) They were made in Wigan, where cloughs are pronounced as in cows ?

Hull Marina Lock gates are certainly worth a look as is the marina itself.  I live in a village close to Hull, and for a period many years ago I worked at the marina, so I know it well! 

However,  Hull Marina does not now have any operating clews . I presume you are speaking about the old, original clews used when Humber Dock & Railway Dock were still in operation as commercial docks, but they  have not been in use for many years  - Humber Dock finally closed in 1969  and didn't reopen after conversion to Hull Marina until 1983- and one or two bits of the old dockside  original equipment, including clew machinery, are now retained purely for decoration. The gates now in place are sector gates which do not have clews. Water entry is controlled by opening the gates for a small amount which is very effective and takes a relatively small amount of power, even with a  head of water against them. The gates are opened and closed by small winches using  wire ropes. In fact, if the limit switches are over ridden it is possible to open the gates fully, even when there is a substantial head of water, and both ends can be opened at once. 

image.png.a618d22dbdb994a5674a63f4806d0f42.png

Hull Marina Inner Lock gates showing winches in blue and the sector gates

Hartlepool Marina, a similar type of Marina converted from an original dock is also controlled by a similar set of gates. 

Howard

3 minutes ago, jenevers said:

Long time since I was at Hull Marina. Do the blue mechanisms have “Wigan Iron & Coal Co” cast into them?

Not the Blue winches which are electric and made in the mid 1980's. I think the ones you are remembering are the old hydraulic ones, some of which are still there purely as ornamentation, and are painted black - you can see one of them to the right of this picture which is actually the lock between Humber Dock and Princes Dock.

See the source image

They certainly have names cast in them but I can't remember the actual wording - I'll have a look next time I am down there. You may remember that there are swing bridges at many of the locks in the old Docks. Across the entrance lock at the Marina is an original Victorian swing bridge, also with names cast which I am certain says Lancashire, and it still is used occasionally and it is swung regularly (or it was when i was there) to keep it from getting arthritic. It was originally also hydraulic but has been converted to electric. While I was there it was refurbished by the original manufacturers who I am sure were from Lancashire and who found it also most as good as the day it was built. You can see one of the original controls for the bridge at the right hand side in this photo although the bridge is now swung from the control room (the white structure on stilts.)

See the source image

Wellington Street Bridge

Howard

1 hour ago, howardang said:

1 hour ago, howardang said:

Not the Blue winches which are electric and made in the mid 1980's. I think the ones you are remembering are the old hydraulic ones, some of which are still there purely as ornamentation, and are painted black - you can see one of them to the right of this picture which is actually the lock between Humber Dock and Princes Dock.

See the source image

The tent shaped object if I remember aright?

Edited by jenevers

On 22/12/2018 at 16:24, jenevers said:

Long time since I was at Hull Marina. Do the blue mechanisms have “Wigan Iron & Coal Co” cast into them?

The swing bridges at Humber and Railway Docks were cast by Haigh Ironworks in Wigan, a different company to WC&ICo. They also cast the swing bridges at Albert Dock, in Liverpool, which were made slightly earlier than those in Hull. They were probably delivered by boat direct from Wigan as the castings would just fit into a L&LC short boat. I have an advert which does suggest that they worked down the tideway to Hull in the 19th century. On lock terminology, in Yorkshire they seem to have used both Type and Clough, for filling and emptying locks, the former seeming to apply more to those fitted on the lockside, rather than the gate, though Clough was used for both. The photos show Humber Dock bridge in Hull, taken about ten years ago when I had to write a report on Hull's listed bridges, and the second is a page from the notebook of an A&CN engineer, from about 1950. 

Railway Dock Hull.jpg

lock gates, cloughs 770.jpg

21 hours ago, Pluto said:

The swing bridges at Humber and Railway Docks were cast by Haigh Ironworks in Wigan, a different company to WC&ICo. They also cast the swing bridges at Albert Dock, in Liverpool, which were made slightly earlier than those in Hull. They were probably delivered by boat direct from Wigan as the castings would just fit into a L&LC short boat. I have an advert which does suggest that they worked down the tideway to Hull in the 19th century. On lock terminology, in Yorkshire they seem to have used both Type and Clough, for filling and emptying locks, the former seeming to apply more to those fitted on the lockside, rather than the gate, though Clough was used for both. The photos show Humber Dock bridge in Hull, taken about ten years ago when I had to write a report on Hull's listed bridges, and the second is a page from the notebook of an A&CN engineer, from about 1950. 

Railway Dock Hull.jpg

lock gates, cloughs 770.jpg

Ah these must be what I saw, all those years ago. Wonder where I got the notion it was Wigan Coal & Iron Company (not Iron & Coal?), rather than Haigh Foundry, Wigan.

Also, how would a short boat get to Hull in those days? What era are we talking about? Had they got steam engines then or would they have been horse drawn? I would think it would be one hell of an adventure for a crew who were only used to the L & L, having to venture down the Ouse and then onto the mighty Humber!

Edited by jenevers

18 hours ago, jenevers said:

Ah these must be what I saw, all those years ago. Wonder where I got the notion it was Wigan Coal & Iron Company (not Iron & Coal?), rather than Haigh Foundry, Wigan.

Also, how would a short boat get to Hull in those days? What era are we talking about? Had they got steam engines then or would they have been horse drawn? I would think it would be one hell of an adventure for a crew who were only used to the L & L, having to venture down the Ouse and then onto the mighty Humber!

Quite possibly they were sailed as removable masts were sometimes fitted to sailing barges. There was certainly a wharf at Goole where masts and coggy oats could be left whilst the boat worked on the inland waterways.

• 2 months later...
On 18/12/2018 at 15:46, rgreg said:

You could, and Dover Lock is a good overnight mooring as I put in my previous list, but personally I wouldn't stay there the night before ascending the Wigan flight, as it's adding time and two more locks to an already arduous day. I'd prefer to be in Wigan the night before.

Have you found there are a lot of mosquitos at night in the area due to the large number of lakes / flashes?

On ‎22‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 16:15, howardang said:

Hull Marina Lock gates are certainly worth a look as is the marina itself.  

image.png.a618d22dbdb994a5674a63f4806d0f42.png

We didn't have a great deal of 'room' coming into Hull lock.

We are 23 foot beam (26' including fenders), but getting under the 'not fully opening' bridge into Railway dock was worse as the mast/shrouds (57' mast) touched the bridge if you didn't keep to the opposite side.

CAM00070.jpg

CAM00082.jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield

• 3 months later...
On 17 December 2018 at 20:06, Arthur Marshall said:

I'm planning on having one last go at the Leeds Liverpool next summer, before I get too decrepit to handle Wigan.  I'm starting from Macclesfield and probably going up the T&M and Bridgewater and then as far as Bingley before turning round.  It's been nearly thirty years since I last went up there, so any advice as to stopping places, shopping etc anywhere north of Lymm would be much appreciated.

If going through Blackburn, there are lock keepers on duty on Tuesday and Thursday's. Also watch out for approaching bridge 127, the canal narrows where there is over grown reeds, but if you keep away from the reeds you will ground the boat as the concrete tow path  side juts out under the water.

I'm planning on having one last go at the Leeds Liverpool next summer, before I get too decrepit to handle Wigan.  I'm starting from Macclesfield and probably going up the T&M and Bridgewater and then as far as Bingley before turning round.  It's been nearly thirty years since I last went up there, so any advice as to stopping places, shopping etc anywhere north of Lymm would be much appreciated.

If going through Blackburn, there are lock keepers on duty on Tuesday and Thursday's. Also watch out for approaching bridge 127, the canal narrows where there is over grown reeds, but if you keep away from the reeds you will ground the boat as the concrete tow path  side juts out under the water.

Re shops and mooring North of Lymm.

Just left Liverpool having travelled through Lymm last month  on route. 

In reverse from Wigan Junction 

L&L bridge 2 open aspect overlooking Scotsmans Flash. 

L&L bridge 4 pub closed and mooring looked grim.

L&L bridge 8 water tap is next to bridge at ground level.

L&L  bridge 9 open aspect overlooking Pennington Flash. We moored here for one night.

L&L bridge 11 Ok mooring for shops and pub. We didnt moor here.

Bridgewater Canal BC Butts bridge Pearson book shows water tap and waste. There isn't any services on towpath. There is a private wharf which was locked when we passed.

BC Astley bridge, Astley Green. 

Mooring opposite a pub. We stopped briefly it was quite and pub was being used. 

BC Worsley opposite Worsley Dry Dock. Pearson book shows water tap and waste on towpath next to the bridge. We couldn't find it.

BC Sale bridge Sale

Good mooring. We have moored at public car park / next to pub last year and this year with no issues. Five minutes walk over the bridge into Sale town centre for all shops. Also Viking Launderette.

BC Dunham Underbridge. Open aspect moored towpath side  to visit Dunham Massey National  Trust House

BC Bollington Wharf, Little Bollington. Water tap is next to the gate leading into private mooring. We have moored here last year. The Swan Pub is really up market pub for a drink and food. Also used Olde no.3 for a drink which was pleasant but a bit basic.

BC Lloyds Bridge.

Signage states pump out and Launderette. We haven't used services.

I believe you may know Lymm. Great places for pubs.

2 hours ago, Steve Manc said:

Re shops and mooring North of Lymm.

Just left Liverpool having travelled through Lymm last month  on route. 

In reverse from Wigan Junction 

L&L bridge 2 open aspect overlooking Scotsmans Flash. 

L&L bridge 4 pub closed and mooring looked grim.

L&L bridge 8 water tap is next to bridge at ground level.

L&L  bridge 9 open aspect overlooking Pennington Flash. We moored here for one night.

L&L bridge 11 Ok mooring for shops and pub. We didnt moor here.

Bridgewater Canal BC Butts bridge Pearson book shows water tap and waste. There isn't any services on towpath. There is a private wharf which was locked when we passed.

BC Astley bridge, Astley Green. 

Mooring opposite a pub. We stopped briefly it was quite and pub was being used. 

BC Worsley opposite Worsley Dry Dock. Pearson book shows water tap and waste on towpath next to the bridge. We couldn't find it.

BC Sale bridge Sale

Good mooring. We have moored at public car park / next to pub last year and this year with no issues. Five minutes walk over the bridge into Sale town centre for all shops. Also Viking Launderette.

BC Dunham Underbridge. Open aspect moored towpath side  to visit Dunham Massey National  Trust House

BC Bollington Wharf, Little Bollington. Water tap is next to the gate leading into private mooring. We have moored here last year. The Swan Pub is really up market pub for a drink and food. Also used Olde no.3 for a drink which was pleasant but a bit basic.

BC Lloyds Bridge.

Signage states pump out and Launderette. We haven't used services.

I believe you may know Lymm. Great places for pubs.

The waterpoint is in the brick building at Worsley  opposite the old grain warehouse but I understand its closed at the moment. Looks like a public toilet with a steel grill over the door