Leed Liverpool trip plan

Arthur Marshall

Featured Posts

I'm planning on having one last go at the Leeds Liverpool next summer, before I get too decrepit to handle Wigan.  I'm starting from Macclesfield and probably going up the T&M and Bridgewater and then as far as Bingley before turning round.  It's been nearly thirty years since I last went up there, so any advice as to stopping places, shopping etc anywhere north of Lymm would be much appreciated.

1 hour ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I'm planning on having one last go at the Leeds Liverpool next summer, before I get too decrepit to handle Wigan.  I'm starting from Macclesfield and probably going up the T&M and Bridgewater and then as far as Bingley before turning round.  It's been nearly thirty years since I last went up there, so any advice as to stopping places, shopping etc anywhere north of Lymm would be much appreciated.

CRT will do assisted passage for single handers but its only 1 day per week. There is a good bunch of volunteers on that flight and they have a Facebook page so sometimes you can find out if another boat is planning to do it at the same time or if there is likely for someone to be there. I did it last year and Blogged about it starting here https://nbharnser.blogspot.com/2018/04/lymm-wednesday-18-april-2018.html

Wait at the bottom, there will surely be another boat going up.

When we did it we approached the bottom and another boat appeared from nowhere.

Hi Arthur.  I think I'm about the same age as you, and did the whole of the L&L this year, singlehanded as you are.  Booking an assisted passage on the Wigan flight made it a doddle, especially as I went up with another boat also on assisted passage (although it was a couple, both at least 10 years younger than me), which was fortunate, as my gear cable snapped 6 locks from the top, which actually wasn't a big deal as we tied the boats together, releasing me to help with the locks.  Only one day a week (Thursday this year).  Well worth it.  If you do it June-August, the swing bridges shouldn't be a problem as there are plenty of hire boats to go through with - I only had to do half a dozen myself.

Some overnight stops: Stockton Heath, Castlefield Basin, Dover Lock, Wigan, Adlington,  Blackburn, Barrowford Top, Foulridge, Bank Newton, Skipton, Saltaire. Lots of beautiful rural mooring spots between Foulridge and Skipton.

In addition to the towns mentioned in the list above, Leigh is a handy shopping stop.

Thanks all.  I haven't got the time, energy or functioning vertebrae to do the masses of locks on the Huddersfield or Rochdale.  I've got to the age where I really just like pottering about as, in fact, has my boat.  Neither of us are in the first flush of youth.  I'll get to Wigan on a Thursday morning - what's the best overnight stop before the locks?  Last time I went through it was all a bit hairy round there, but as I said, that was some years back.

23 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Thanks all.  I haven't got the time, energy or functioning vertebrae to do the masses of locks on the Huddersfield or Rochdale.  I've got to the age where I really just like pottering about as, in fact, has my boat.  Neither of us are in the first flush of youth.  I'll get to Wigan on a Thursday morning - what's the best overnight stop before the locks?  Last time I went through it was all a bit hairy round there, but as I said, that was some years back.

You can either moor just below the bottom lock or drop down one lock and moor opposite the old CRT offices. I've never had any problems in Wigan.

Edited by rgreg

Hi Arthur, wise move to avoid the Huddersfield Narrow. I live very close to the canal, as lovely as the scenery is and I love walking it,  sooo many locks and the canal suffered for long periods of closure this season due to low water. Although CART is, I believe, proposing some major works at Sparth Resivoir, which feeds the canal, to address the low water issue.

Have fun

40 minutes ago, Glynn said:

You could overnight at Dover Lock.

You could, and Dover Lock is a good overnight mooring as I put in my previous list, but personally I wouldn't stay there the night before ascending the Wigan flight, as it's adding time and two more locks to an already arduous day. I'd prefer to be in Wigan the night before.

Edited by rgreg

3 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

You have to book the assisted passage - they'll put you through from the usual CRT number. Wigan is a surprisingly pleasant place to stop - I spent three or four nights altogether, down one lock from the junction.

9 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

You have to book the assisted passage - they'll put you through from the usual CRT number. Wigan is a surprisingly pleasant place to stop - I spent three or four nights altogether, down one lock from the junction.

Yes we were both there but I didn't realise who you were

2 hours ago, rgreg said:

You could, and Dover Lock is a good overnight mooring as I put in my previous list, but personally I wouldn't stay there the night before ascending the Wigan flight, as it's adding time and two more locks to an already arduous day. I'd prefer to be in Wigan the night before.

Except you could end up on the bottom

38 minutes ago, rgreg said:

Yes, that pound has been prone to draining. If that's a concern, dropping down into the lower pound by the old CRT offices would be less risky.

Just for those who are interested, as far as I’m aware, the L & L doesn’t have “pounds”, it has “pools”. Nor does it have “paddles”, it has “cloughs” (as in ploughs). 

I believe the Ashton Canal has “ponds” and the Aire and Calder has “types” instead of paddles. Sadly, these terms seem to have been lost over time.

3 hours ago, jenevers said:

. Nor does it have “paddles”, it has “cloughs” (as in ploughs). 

Really? I've always pronounced 'clough' as in Brian, not as in cow, and never got any funny looks  from the cognoscenti.  Anywhere I could confirm my mistake, please? 

40 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

Really? I've always pronounced 'clough' as in Brian, not as in cow, and never got any funny looks  from the cognoscenti.  Anywhere I could confirm my mistake, please? 

It is cloughs as in Brian.

And the term only refers to the ground paddles not the gate paddles afaik.

Edited by MJG

3 hours ago, jenevers said:

Just for those who are interested, as far as I’m aware, the L & L doesn’t have “pounds”, it has “pools”. Nor does it have “paddles”, it has “cloughs” (as in ploughs). 

I believe the Ashton Canal has “ponds” and the Aire and Calder has “types” instead of paddles. Sadly, these terms seem to have been lost over time.

I'm interested, thank you .... I alway thought clough rhymed with chuff ...... obviously I was wrong!

15 hours ago, MJG said:

It is cloughs as in Brian.

And the term only refers to the ground paddles not the gate paddles afaik.

No it isn’t, it’s as in ploughs. That’s why the equipment on the locks on the river Ouse leading up to York are called  and signwritten as ”Clows”

clow noun \ˈklau̇\

plural -s

Definition of clow 

1an outfall sluice for water from a tidal river after it has deposited its sediment on flooded land

2a floodgate especially for a lock or water mill

15 hours ago, Mac of Cygnet said: