Over plating

Featured Posts

I have lots of pictures of work that we have done for customers over plating boats I know this is of interest to many and often produces many questions and options I would be happy to post some that go through the process 

i don’t however want to stir up the whole thing about advertising 

please advise if this is acceptable 

2 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Hi Martin, 

What are your opinions on the benefits of overplating against replating, is the latter only of consideration on historic overlapped plated boats or is it relevant to todays repair methods as well.

Keep posting, I like your stuff.

I would be interested in in Martin's  Views on that subject.

Martin,

Can you please clarify, (if you are prepared to!), whether you have just been politely "verbally" warned about you previous postings, or whether you have actually been allocated an actual formal warning point.

If the latter, I feel it is a very unjustified and unhappy situation.

The problem with re plating is cost where extensive pitting or plate loss occurs this requires the internal fit out to be removed because of the risk of fire and damage often it is not a small area but large sections that would need to be replaced making it uneconomical 

mover plating achieves a good result and is kinder and less invasive  

there are many opinions regarding this but I have done boats that twenty years later are still afloat 

Just now, alan_fincher said:

Martin,

Can you please clarify, (if you are prepared to!), whether you have just been politely "verbally" warned about you previous postings, or whether you have actually been allocated an actual formal warning point.

If the latter, I feel it is a very unjustified and unhappy situation.

I was unsure to start with but have been informed I have been advised in a friendly way 

41 minutes ago, Martin Kedian said:

I have lots of pictures of work that we have done for customers over plating boats I know this is of interest to many and often produces many questions and options I would be happy to post some that go through the process 

i don’t however want to stir up the whole thing about advertising 

please advise if this is acceptable 

I'm always interested to see pictures of work on boats and I imagine that since your order books are probably full your intention isn't to advertise. However, last time I saw pictures of your work on here I made the mistake of questioning the design as it contradicted Beta's recommendations and I then got jumped on and told to apologise by some overly sensitive members who for some reason felt offended on your behalf and took it upon themselves to jump in and defend you. I noted that you didn't seem particularly bothered yourself!

I'm sure your work is of the highest standard, but I don't think anyone's work is sacrosanct or above scrutiny, however well-respected they happen to be.

Edited by blackrose

Not a stupid question as a 50 foot boat sits 2 inches deeper as a rule of thumb we advise some ballast may need to be removed we also check outlets and drain holes meet the freeboard requirement 

and raise the weed hatch to comply with the regs  

2 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I'm always interested to see pictures of work on boats and I imagine that since your order books are probably full your intention isn't to advertise. However, last time I saw pictures of your work on here I made the mistake of questioning the design as it contradicted Beta's recommendations and I then got jumped on and told to apologise by some overly sensitive members who for some reason felt offended on your behalf and took it upon themselves to jump in and defend you.

I'm sure your work is of the highest standard, but I don't think anyone's work is sacrosanct or above scrutiny, however well-respected they happen to be.

Happy for comments 

Dear guys and girls going out now will catch up later with any replies and questions 

8 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Many thanks.

Do you remove internal ballast before refloating (sorry for the stoopid question).

3 minutes ago, Martin Kedian said:

Not a stupid question as a 50 foot boat sits 2 inches deeper as a rule of thumb we advise some ballast may need to be removed we also check outlets and drain holes meet the freeboard requirement 

and raise the weed hatch to comply with the regs  

Happy for comments 

Thanks. So, you will refloat after overplating and then check/modify the outlets as required,or do the outlets get modified  beforehand because you already know what affect the additional steel will have,and then the owner may still need to remove ballast?

3 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Thanks. So, you will refloat after overplating and then check/modify the outlets as required,or do the outlets get modified  beforehand because you already know what affect the additional steel will have,and then the owner may still need to remove ballast?

of course.

Edited by cereal tiller

8 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

We do all of the work before re floating usually no ballast needs removing 

We generally clean of the old plates  care is taken in keeping the new sheets as tight as possible to the original plates moisture is not an issue as when we weld any moisture would evaporate due to the heat generated 

whilst a re plate would be the best solution I have yet to meet anyone who wants to strip all of the inside to do this. It would not be cost effective. You might as well start with a new sheet 

Just now, Martin Kedian said:

We generally clean of the old plates  care is taken in keeping the new sheets as tight as possible to the original plates moisture is not an issue as when we weld any moisture would evaporate due to the heat generated 

whilst a re plate would be the best solution I have yet to meet anyone who wants to strip all of the inside to do this. It would not be cost effective. You might as well start with a new sheet 

We have also for many years built new shells and they have never leaked so there is a confidence in our welding we also weld in a sequence and so can leave the internal structure in place 

• Greenie 1