Good bye bridge

Ray T

Featured Posts

This bridge which used to connect the two parts of Coventry Power Station is being removed this evening.

I discovered this when I took the pooch for a walk from Sutton Stop to Tusses Bridge and back, late afternoon today.

Not a landmark or anything special.

20181217_153902.jpg

Edited by Ray T

1 hour ago, OldGoat said:

Can't see 'owt - is something visible - or nothing visible?

It is certainly rather dark now, isn't it. Something to do with the demise of the power station perhaps? Maybe the bridge is coming down to stop folk bumping into it? ;)

32 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

It is certainly rather dark now, isn't it. Something to do with the demise of the power station perhaps? Maybe the bridge is coming down to stop folk bumping into it? ;)

The bridge is rather corroded and is in danger of collapse. I believe it was only ever used by power station staff and became redundant when the "Coventry Light" was closed down.

Bridge Suttons.jpg

Edited by Ray T

I

13 hours ago, Ray T said:

The bridge is rather corroded and is in danger of collapse. I believe it was only ever used by power station staff and became redundant when the "Coventry Light" was closed down.

Bridge Suttons.jpg

I preferred 'light current' to 'Power' in my short time at what now is called 'Uni' - even so the above is not a power station - it's a switching sub station?

With the advent of newer national grid feeds, higher transmission voltages, better transformer and switchgear design, there must be a fair number of redundant subs all around the country.  

1 minute ago, OldGoat said:

I

I preferred 'light current' to 'Power' in my short time at what now is called 'Uni' - even so the above is not a power station - it's a switching sub station?

With the advent of newer national grid feeds, higher transmission voltages, better transformer and switchgear design, there must be a fair number of redundant subs all around the country.  

You'll be telling me that "Pylons" are called "Towers" next. :D

During my career with BT I had to learn all about overhead electrical apparatus and what it was connected to. I visited the above site on several occasions.

The picture was to show the bridge not to get into semantics over what electric properties are called.

2 minutes ago, Ray T said:

You'll be telling me that "Pylons" are called "Towers" next. :D

During my career with BT I had to learn all about overhead electrical apparatus and what it was connected to. I visited the above site on several occasions.

The picture was to show the bridge not to get into semantics over what electric properties are called.

Oh dear! - a slap on the wrist - I'd better go and hide my head in shame.......

• Greenie 1

My guess is that all the medium-voltage feeders for the area converged at the power station, so when the power station closed, it was replaced with a substation which feeds power from the grid into the feeders. The substation is certainly still very much in use.

MP.

9 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

The photos and map suggest that maybe the particular bridge in question was a later addition. The style also made me wonder if it was a cable bridge rather than a footbridge.

JP

That or a conveyor bridge. I seem to remember coal heaps on other side of the canal

We first went past the light when it was still working albeit on road/rail deliverdfuel.  It has been interestingv to watch the changesover the last 40 + years.

The fuel conveyor bridges were separate and are shown on the old pic Ray T posted. Top view.  They slope down to the opposite side from the boiler house and turbine room.

The recently demolished bridge was a pedestrian crossing which I think dates  to the removal of the main generating buildings.  It certainly used to have foot steps at either end in the way of where cables might have gone.

N

On 18/12/2018 at 11:14, Ray T said:

Coventry "Light" when it existed.

Longford power stn.JPG

powerstation.JPG

Coventry Light.png

Cars in photo BMC(Austin A55 Firina  Wolseley 450 or 680 would make it late 50s or into early 60s i remember "Joeys""empty & loaded coal being moved /unloaded when passing to demise of BW long distance carrying in 63 didn't pass for several years around 67? & not sure if it was non operational buildings still there ISTR

Edited by X Alan W

3 hours ago, Graham and Jo said:

1976. Cheers Graham

8-16-2010_009.JPG

With the bridge in question in the background. By 1976 the generating plant would have been closed. The cooling towers were demolished probably in the late 70s (1980 at a push). I remember lessons being stopped at school so all the kids could go out into the playground and watch.

JP

5 hours ago, Graham and Jo said:

1976. Cheers Graham

8-16-2010_009.JPG

Brings back memories from my first canal holidays on UCC camping boats in 1973 & 1974.

The next time we boated past in the 80's it was wasteland. 

I had forgotten this scene until G&J's photo.

My other memories of these early trips were abandoned Alvecote colliery and the Reliant car factory by Glascote locks. Anyone got photo's of those?

Edited by cuthound

3 minutes ago, Graham and Jo said:

This is the best I have of the factory. Cheers Graham

9-23-2010_004-1.JPG

Thanks Graham, I have a photo from 2007 (subject to my memory) of the Reliant factory being knocked down. If I can work out how to get it back from Amazon Photo's I will post it.