Does anybody know about my boat history?

Rory_d

Featured Posts

I have been looking for some time now trying to find any history relating to my narrow boat,

it it is called calkiera and is a 50 ft springer, I believe it to be an 80s boat but if I’m honest I’m not actually sure, as I’m not too clued up on 80s springers

i have searched forums and google google for days but can’t seem to find anything at all about it. Or any discussions that mention the name.

it would be interesting to find out about previous owners and possibly the year it was built as I’m still unsure, maybe somebody on here has owned it or know somebody who did at one point.

maybe it’s had a name change at some point? 

thanks in advance :)

So it's gone from the ridiculous Frog'opper to the meaningless Calkiera; you might wish to rename it again. The increase in length can be explained, if someone added a bow fender. I see that it now has a credible beam, and as part of your research you might wish to give it a horsepower figure; I've a feeling 999hp won't be correct. If you don't know it, just tell us what engine it has (a photo might be sufficient) and the engine enthusiasts on the forum can probably tell you the answer.

Thankyou for the responses so far! 

Funny enough ugh when I had the boat surveyed just after purchase the surveyor said that the bow all looked like it had been added on,

the internals of the gas locker look incredibly good condition to the rest of the boat and the steel on the base of the bow is thinner than the main base plate!

unfortunately he couldn’t put a year on it as he couldn’t find an I’d plate,

its a a shame really because although I’ve owned the boat a couple of months now I actually don’t know anything about it

If I can get some pictures uploaded maybe that would help 

I’m really stuck as to wether I should rename it, i dont like it’s current name if I do it might sound weird but it’s got to be a name that looks good painted on the side of the boat lol 

its a shame it’s almost impossible to find out any history of the boat, 

i dont suppose there is a list of the boats that springer built is there? That way I might have a fighting chance of finding out exactly how old the bloody thing is

9 hours ago, Rory_d said:

I’m really stuck as to wether I should rename it, i dont like it’s current name if I do it might sound weird but it’s got to be a name that looks good painted on the side of the boat lol 

its a shame it’s almost impossible to find out any history of the boat, 

i dont suppose there is a list of the boats that springer built is there? That way I might have a fighting chance of finding out exactly how old the bloody thing is

Even if there were a list of boats Springer built, how would you know which one was originally yours?

11 hours ago, Rory_d said:

That way I might have a fighting chance of finding out exactly how old the bloody thing is

Are there any items on board that look like they are original with a serial number that could be traced? The engine is the obvious one but perhaps a cooker or inverter would do.
You would not get a definitive date but you would arrive at a likely not built after date.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to bring up an old thread but I've still not managed to find much info on it .

I did however find some old signwriting on the boat earlier whilst scraping some of the blue paint off.

Says Gordon.

The first letter was damaged so stripped the other side to confirm it was a g

20200401_195243.jpg

20200401_195254.jpg

Well there's a funny thing: The entry for Gordon in Canalplan comes up with a Springer of 38ft ish perhaps its been lengthened, which might explain the newer looking gas locker.

Gordon Built by Springer UK Ltd - Length : 11.66 metres ( 38 feet 3 inches ) - Beam : 2.02 metres ( 6 feet 8 inches ) - Draft : 0.01 metres ( 0 feet ). Metal hull N/A power of 30 HP. Registered with Canal & River Trust number 72683 as a Powered Motor Boat.  ( Last updated on Wednesday 22nd May 2013 )

10 minutes ago, Wiltshire Moonraker said:

Well there's a funny thing: The entry for Gordon in Canalplan comes up with a Springer of 38ft ish perhaps its been lengthened, which might explain the newer looking gas locker.

It wouldn't have been both boats on two different registration numbers in the space of a week in May 2013!

The reg number is unique to the boat, the names tend to be meaningless.  Search for kingfisher if you don't believe me. :)

I thought perhaps it was just an owners name signwritten on the back of the boat as there is only 2 registered names for my reg number. Perhaps tomorrow I'l scrape some more paint of carefully and see if I can Find any more underneath. Luckily whoever did the blue paint job did a p155 poor job and didn't send the original.paint down so it is coming of relatively easy. Maybe i might find frog opper under there ?

The signage I found today appears.to have been done from.new as it's directly at the bottom.of all the layers

5 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Could that be a stylised "ID & B" with surname the other side of the porthole above what looks as if it may be the boat's name or a place.

Actually now you've said that I tho k your right as all the letters have flat edges except that e !

I'm going to scrape the other side of the pothole now and see what I can find!