Stove Burning / Darkening my steps ?

Greyladyx

Featured Posts

16 minutes ago, Greyladyx said:

Thanks Alan that looks a way around it, I was being tongue and cheek with my answer but standing back I thought occurred I could build an angle made of wood and layered by 25mm thermisulite board instead of a major rebuild. ?

I know it's not safe and it does worry me.

Thanks rusty, yes it has thermisulite stuff behind,  I did cut some of it down to stick on the steps but my dog started to eat it.

I need to get this sorted out it's not safe.

20181215_200104.jpg

Blimey. That was quick. 

Well, at least you will have a fire retardant dog. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Blimey. That was quick. 

Well, at least you will have a fire retardant dog. 

My boat just looks like a bitser on the forum now?lol 

Bits a this bits a that.

Ps I already made that months ago.

Crap init.

Edited by Greyladyx

6 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

No

I refer you back to Post #4

Has this boat previously had a BSS ?

Has the stove been installed since the previous BSS ?

It's a 2014 boat and yes it has.

The stove is original, I once burnt anthracite by mistake but the step still remains dangerously hot (it's oak)

I can't afford to move the stove at all, my options are 

1 make an angle box with a wooden frame lined with 25mm fire board

2 replace the steps narrower.

I've left the fire board in place tonight and I will do until I can find a fix and the steps are really cool now.

Thanks Alan

5 minutes ago, Greyladyx said:

It's a 2014 boat and yes it has.

The stove is original, I once burnt anthracite by mistake but the step still remains dangerously hot (it's oak)

I can't afford to move the stove at all, my options are 

1 make an angle box with a wooden frame lined with 25mm fire board

2 replace the steps narrower.

I've left the fire board in place tonight and I will do until I can find a fix and the steps are really cool now.

Thanks Alan

You have a 6" (150mm) gap between stove and steps so you can build in heat protection in accordance with the guidelines.

One way of making a good protection panel is to
have: a 10mm air gap (supported on offcuts),
then 25mm thick calcium silicate board (which
can be tiled) then at least a 45mm gap to the
stove body, all extending at least 200mm above
the stove.

Do not fix the calcium silicate board directly to the steps (or boat sides) you must have an air gap for it to work.

Put 10mm (or more) battens on the steps.

Fit the Calcium silicate board to the battens leaving the top edge OPEN

As long as you have AT LEAST 45mm (more is better) between the stove side and the calcium silicate board you will be fine.

The calcium silicate board does not stop ALL of the heat going thru which is why you need an open air gap to allow it to rise between the 'back' of the board and the edge of the steps.

image.png.93aabbe1513c55b53b1449a3ea72add6.png

• Greenie 1

26 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You have a 6" (150mm) gap between stove and steps so you can build in heat protection in accordance with the guidelines.

One way of making a good protection panel is to
have: a 10mm air gap (supported on offcuts),
then 25mm thick calcium silicate board (which
can be tiled) then at least a 45mm gap to the
stove body, all extending at least 200mm above
the stove.

Do not fix the calcium silicate board directly to the steps (or boat sides) you must have an air gap for it to work.

Put 10mm (or more) battens on the steps.

Fit the Calcium silicate board to the battens leaving the top edge OPEN

As long as you have AT LEAST 45mm (more is better) between the stove side and the calcium silicate board you will be fine.

The calcium silicate board does not stop ALL of the heat going thru which is why you need an open air gap to allow it to rise between the 'back' of the board and the edge of the steps.

image.png.93aabbe1513c55b53b1449a3ea72add6.png

Alan can't thank you enough that's taken a lot if time and effort.  Thankyou.

I can do this I just needed pointing in the right direction.

Thanks to everyone else for all your advice.

Much appreciated.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Bloomsberry said:

Kitchen foil is excellent at deflecting heat although it wouldn't look too great

I've done something similar.

Mirror finish stainless steel, used to make freestanding reflectors.

2 pieces as high as the stove, each bent at right angles, standing one each side of stove, overlapping at the back.

This has reduced the heat absorption by the walls and step, and reflects more heat into the cabin. (and has had no effect on the Eco-fan!!)

Bod 

• Greenie 2

It is closer than I would like, its closer than I would put it at all but this is a problem with narrow boats and this is not a brilliant place to put the stove, a better place is not in a corner but as its there you have to make the best of it. Something that worries me with many installations is what is under the vermiculite stuff, Does the ply(?) continue behind it?

In the past I have cut away the lining all around the stove and the insulation if its polystyrene or foam right back to the steel. I think its safer but it also gives a little bit more space to play with, the same all around the stove as well , I always cut away the flooring too, again its a little bit safer but if you have a backboiler it gives you a couple of precious inches of 'climb' for the thermosyphon to work (The only system I have ever used)  Those few things would improve that installation a bit (I think) but the steps might still need to be cut away a bit - OK it would look asymmetrical but it could be better. The worst boat fire I ever saw probably started with heat from the chimney though. Note. I am not an expert, just a bloke with opinions!

46 minutes ago, bizzard said:

The side of the box or the side of the stove could be tiled with ice cubes to keep it nice and cool. :closedeyes:

Now don’t be daft. If the boat heals to one side, the ice would slip off. 

• Haha 1

My stove position is not too dissimilar to the OP's.  I have a sheet of metal, with a piece of wood attached near the top.  It slots in between the stove and the step, with the bit of wood keeping the top edge a short way from the wooden step.  It also serves as a useful base when emptying the ash pan into the Tippy, which I put on the metal sheet whilst tipping in the ash pan.

Interesting that the regs. (what there is) is so much more relaxed for a boat than in a house.

When our stove was fitted at home we couldn't have wood anywhere that close to it. ISTR the minimum separation was something like 40cm.

The stove on the Dog House probably only had something like 20cm at the most,possibly less.

Edited by MJG