Stove Burning / Darkening my steps ?

Greyladyx

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, Greyladyx said:

protecting my wooden steps from radiant heat burning/darkening

I would suggest that moving the stove, or moving the steps is the only option.

If the heat is discolouring the wood then that is a BSS FAIL

This is a Requirement NOT just an Advisory.

8.4.1 Are appliances and surrounding surfaces clear of signs of heat damage and leaking fuel?

Check all appliances and all their surrounding surfaces for signs of heat damage and leaking fuel.

Appliances and all their surrounding surfaces must not show signs of:
• scorching, blistering or discolouration; or,
• fuel leakage; or,
• smoke or soot deposits; or,
• heat damage or deterioration to appliance structure.

15 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Same way you would protect any other surrounding woodwork.... Vermiculite board (add pretty tiles to suit) , or a sheet of metal with airgap behind. 

How close to the step is the stove? 

Nearest front point being six inches, I have a full board of vermiculite 20mm but if you look at the next picture iits kinda well bugger what do I do with this bit ? 

See pic

1544901881-picsay.jpg

One mo brb

20181215_192738.jpg

20181215_192820.jpg

2 minutes ago, Greyladyx said:

Nearest front point being six inches, I have a full board of vermiculite 20mm but if you look at the next picture iits kinda well bugger what do I do with this bit ? 

See pic

1544901881-picsay.jpg

Show us the bigger picture, stand back a bit and get the whole pic. 

10 minutes ago, Greyladyx said:

See pic

One mo brb

20181215_192738.jpg

Hmmm I'd be rather wary of that were it my bote. 

How hot does the wood get to the hand when the stove has been at full chat for a few hours?

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

Hmmm I'd be rather wary of that were it my bote. 

How hot does the wood get to the hand when the stove has been at full chat for a few hours?

Erm uncomfortable.

I don't load it up for this reason or leave my dog in the boat with it lit Mike.

1 minute ago, WotEver said:

As it stands that could arguably be a BSS fail. The stove ideally needs moving forward from where it is to put it at least a further 6” away from the wood. 

Right thanks for your advice but that would mean welding and major wood work. Ow sh1t...

Will this pass the BSS?

20181215_194409.jpg

8 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

When we had a new stove installed we had a piece of heat board added to the side of the steps as they did get warm but no scorch marks. Our stove doesn't appear to be as close to the steps as hours though. 

20160806183301.JPG.f98f6f4144a2a8c12512410db5570113.JPG

Thanks that looks nice.

On a previous boat we had a stove whee the exit steps wrre closer than I would have liked.

Although they were not visibly scorched, they could get quite hot.

When I improved the area involved, I decided it was best to give the side of the steps the same treatment as the panelling surrounding it on the other sides, i.e. proper fire board with ceramic tiles on top.

It wasn't hugely elegant thereafter, but at least then it was tiles getting hot not wood, and I was confident that the fireboard layer meant the wood was adequately protected.

Just about visible in this picture, I think.

DSCF0940.JPG

3 minutes ago, Greyladyx said:

Will this pass the BSS?

20181215_194409.jpg

Hopefully not, because it would look for the world like you had put it there just for the inspection, and might intend to remove it again afterwards!

6 minutes ago, Greyladyx said:

Will this pass the BSS?

20181215_194409.jpg

If it were mine, i would cut a bit off that board and attach it to the side of the step, and then consider moving the stove forward a bit. It may mean having a cranked flu pipe. 

Do you know if the tiling behind the stove has Vermiculite behind? 

Dunno about the trim bit as yet. 

13 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

On a previous boat we had a stove whee the exit steps wrre closer than I would have liked.

Although they were not visibly scorched, they could get quite hot.

When I improved the area involved, I decided it was best to give the side of the steps the same treatment as the panelling surrounding it on the other sides, i.e. proper fire board with ceramic tiles on top.

It wasn't hugely elegant thereafter, but at least then it was tiles getting hot not wood, and I was confident that the fireboard layer meant the wood was adequately protected.

Just about visible in this picture, I think.

DSCF0940.JPG

Hopefully not, because it would look for the world like you had put it there just for the inspection, and might intend to remove it again afterwards!

Thanks Alan that looks a way around it, I was being tongue and cheek with my answer but standing back I thought occurred I could build an angle made of wood and layered by 25mm thermisulite board instead of a major rebuild. ?

I know it's not safe and it does worry me.

5 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

If it were mine, i would cut a bit off that board and attach it to the side of the step, and then consider moving the stove forward a bit. It may mean having a cranked flu pipe. 

Do you know if the tiling behind the stove has Vermiculite behind? 

Dunno about the trim bit as yet. 

Thanks rusty, yes it has thermisulite stuff behind,  I did cut some of it down to stick on the steps but my dog started to eat it.

I need to get this sorted out it's not safe.

20181215_200104.jpg

Edited by Greyladyx

1 hour ago, Greyladyx said:

Hi just a Boat question is their anyway of protecting my wooden steps from radiant heat burning/darkening, I know it's not a good situation this is why I won't leave the stove loaded up a night?

See pic

Thanks.

20181215_185201.jpg

Thing is ,is it Darkening your Door?You could get it Exorcised or you could buy the proffered copy of the 'Watchtower' 

Edited by cereal tiller