Temp Mooring Thames Abingdon or Above

mark99

Featured Posts

11 minutes ago, mark99 said:

We will be needing to leave our boat in a safe berth for a few weeks (62 foot) at or upstream of Abingdon in May.

Is Abingdon the best /only choice?

Yes the Abingdon Boat centre by the Bridge or the Marina ,other suggestions will follow .

Edited by cereal tiller

38 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Left my boat for a fortnight at the little yard at Moulsford that does Freemans a few years ago. Sheridans - thats it! 

Bit too far east though I guess...

Could work ta.

You are both correct.

Abingdon Lock island is popular and gets booked out by visiting boat clubs in the summer. It does have electric on the island. Richard is very helpful.

Sandford Lock island could suit you very well as it is less popular but does have electric. Talk to Aidan.

Otherwise I would try and make contact with the locks up from there you think could have moorings and see what they say.

• Greenie 1

23 minutes ago, Paringa said:

You are both correct.

Abingdon Lock island is popular and gets booked out by visiting boat clubs in the summer. It does have electric on the island. Richard is very helpful.

Sandford Lock island could suit you very well as it is less popular but does have electric. Talk to Aidan.

Otherwise I would try and make contact with the locks up from there you think could have moorings and see what they say.

Shillingford Bridge Hotel has Moorings .

Edited by cereal tiller

6 hours ago, Paringa said:

You are both correct.

that's very interesting, 'cos I have an electric boat and have to plan my overnight stops to match the availability of power points.  Sandford is pants, 'cos the mooring is directly opposite a much frequented and noisy hostelry, so when I am bedding down after dusk the pub is just getting going.  No need to comment on my sleeping hours - I rise with the dawn and have usually covered 3 locks before 9am, the very best time to be on the river and enjoy the mists rising off the water and the bird life on the mirror smooth water.  

maybe the Thames info websites published by the gubbinment and the various associations are well out of date, 'cos they don't list Abingdon as having power. 

Edited by Murflynn

45 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

that's very interesting, 'cos I have an electric boat and have to plan my overnight stops to match the availability of power points.  Sandford is pants, 'cos the mooring is directly opposite a much frequented and noisy hostelry, so when I am bedding down after dusk the pub is just getting going.  No need to comment on my sleeping hours - I rise with the dawn and have usually covered 3 locks before 9am, the very best time to be on the river and enjoy the mists rising off the water and the bird life on the mirror smooth water.  

maybe the Thames info websites published by the gubbinment and the various associations are well out of date, 'cos they don't list Abingdon as having power. 

IIRC Abingdon has 16 AMP Shorepower ,do Electric boats need 32 AMP? that may be why it is not Marked as Charging point

1 hour ago, cereal tiller said:

IIRC Abingdon has 16 AMP Shorepower ,do Electric boats need 32 AMP? that may be why it is not Marked as Charging point

no, 16A is fine for me.  that's another lock on my list, thanks.   

anyone know if Benson power has been reinstated?  last summer it was out of order, which is a shame 'cos it's a nice mooring location..

4 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

anyone know if Benson power has been reinstated?  last summer it was out of order, which is a shame 'cos it's a nice mooring location..

Not sure about Power there but you can never get a Longish  Boat outside the  Cafe .but if you moor at benson Lock you can walk across the Weir to access the Cafe.

1 hour ago, cereal tiller said:

Not sure about Power there but you can never get a Longish  Boat outside the  Cafe .but if you moor at benson Lock you can walk across the Weir to access the Cafe.

oh dear .......   I'm 6 metres ...................  it'll never fit   .............   NOT!!    B)

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Murflynn said:

I rise with the dawn and have usually covered 3 locks before 9am, the very best time to be on the river and enjoy the mists rising off the water and the bird life on the mirror smooth water.

I'm deeply jealous as I know how lovely the early morning is on the river, but try as I might I cannot convert myself from an owl to a lark. 

Night cruising has its own curious charms too though....

Oops I commented. Apologies :giggles:

On ‎16‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 17:46, Murflynn said:

Not fixed according to the river conditions website