Moving a Boat

Captain Dread

Featured Posts

Hi

I have been here before for quite a while but I've had to resign up due to my email account getting locked. 

Now, a question I want to ask, Is anyone moving a boat from Plymouth to Falmouth anytime soon as that's what I need to do, I'm experienced in handling a boat but I would not like to do this completely on my own and it would be better if there were 1 or 2 other boats going in the same direction. 

Or atleast 1 other crew member, I can give you coach fair back up but that's about it as at the moment I'm a bit skint, There will be food and drink available while piloting the boat to its new location for a couple of months before I take it further up the coast in March. 

Thanks in advance. 

1 minute ago, Captain Dread said:

Yeah but yachties are arrogant stuck up folk, since my boats mast and sails have been removed... 

But surely if you are moving your boat on coastal waters, experience of tides, and navigational marks would be a benefit.

Most of the small,sail boat owners I have come across are far from stuck up. Perhaps it is different on the South coast.

I doubt there will be one or two boat owners on this forum moving their boat from Plymouth to Falmouth anytime soon, though spose Alan maybe moving when the weather warms up.

21 minutes ago, Captain Dread said:

Hi

I have been here before for quite a while but I've had to resign up due to my email account getting locked. 

Now, a question I want to ask, Is anyone moving a boat from Plymouth to Falmouth anytime soon as that's what I need to do, I'm experienced in handling a boat but I would not like to do this completely on my own and it would be better if there were 1 or 2 other boats going in the same direction. 

Or atleast 1 other crew member, I can give you coach fair back up but that's about it as at the moment I'm a bit skint, There will be food and drink available while piloting the boat to its new location for a couple of months before I take it further up the coast in March. 

Thanks in advance. 

The big problem at this time of year is that you can make plans a week, or even a couple of days in advance and the weather changes. You have now paid crew to come down to Plymouth and will be sitting around for an unknown period of time.

We were 'locked into' Hull marina for 2 weeks due to weather and that was in August, we eventually got back to Plymouth early September after a 3-day non-stop trip.

Whereabouts in Plymouth are you ?

Had you considered lifting out onto the hard for the Winter ?

There should be a space at South Down marina (Just opposite Torpoint) as we were booked in there but we were too big for them to lift out and had to go out at the 'Multi-Hull Centre' at Millbrook

Torpoint Marinas.jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield

It was built by Colvic with a custom wheelhouse with lots of teak inside and out. 

Looks pretty and awesome when it's all varnished up, A job which will be sorted next year as I haven't had time this year. 

Not sure why there's no mast as I bought it like that, got it for a very good price too... 

Edited by Captain Dread
Phone Typo's

5 minutes ago, Captain Dread said:

It was built by Colvic with a custom wheelhouse with lots of teak inside and out. 

Looks pretty and awesome when it's all varnished up, A job which will be sorted next year as I haven't had time this year. 

Not sure why there's no mast as I bought it like that, got it for a very good price too... 

Good luck with it (and your coastal cruise) 

6 hours ago, Captain Dread said:

Yeah but yachties are arrogant stuck up folk, since my boats mast and sails have been removed... 

Strange thing to say and a gross exaggeration. After all, you seem to be getting along fine with the actors who have replied to you on this forum, and when all is said and done aren’t you one yourself?

Howard (another one who was once a yachtie- I even sailed in a friends Colvin 32 myself.)

I'm curious about that two months for going from Plymouth to Falmouth. Surely you either do it in a day or two, or you don't make it at all and end up strewn across the rocks somewhere? Or is that time mostly spent in port waiting for the right weather, especially in winter when perhaps the right weather is quite rare? Anyhow, I don't do the lumpy stuff but maybe someone on here can help you. If it helps, the going rate inland is just that you feed your crew and always provide plenty of tea.

• 1 month later...

Well, looks like I'm not going anywhere as the boat is stripped out, not even a battery installed. 

So much for a bargain boat, it's just a Hull and cabin, nothing whatsoever to power the vessel or anything that was installed in the ebay advert. 

Looks like its been standing a while aswell, so much for being completely ripped off. 

8 minutes ago, Captain Dread said:

So much for a bargain boat, it's just a Hull and cabin, nothing whatsoever to power the vessel or anything that was installed in the ebay advert. 

Did you not go and actually view the boat before parting with your money ?

I suppose you are luckier than some, who after paying, find the boat doesn't even exist.