continuous cruising and having a car

Clanky

Featured Posts

In the past ive also been abused and threatened by houseowners who seem to feel they own streets. Cars have been vandalised too. Worst was in weedon last year when i left the car there for an overnight rather than return it 3 miles to its garage. ( didnt fancy a45 on bike in rain).

if there is a claim insurance companies do anything to prevent payment especially related to garaging, use  employment and residence. I believe they will not insure some marina addresses either by blacklisting postcodes, but this is hearsay information.

56 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

In the past ive also been abused and threatened by houseowners who seem to feel they own streets. Cars have been vandalised too. Worst was in weedon last year when i left the car there for an overnight rather than return it 3 miles to its garage. ( didnt fancy a45 on bike in rain).

if there is a claim insurance companies do anything to prevent payment especially related to garaging, use  employment and residence. I believe they will not insure some marina addresses either by blacklisting postcodes, but this is hearsay information.

I've come across this too, idiots who buy old knackered waterside houses next to the canal and moan.

I will be honest, people like this don't realise we have the same rights in law and threats is bloody hard to deal with.

Some people think we don't have the same rights and just see boaters as travellers who I respect in every way.

Living on the canal you have to be multiflexible in mind, theirs a lot of characters out their. (Think Live Aboards know this one) lol for sure....

Threats just not on.

Better to report than doing other !

Edited by Greyladyx

As part of exploring and making a long and progressive journey I found having to go back for the car was part of the pleasure - I would arrive somewhere, enjoy a new (to me) train or bus ride and get the car back, of once I got the Southern Oxford I would cruise for half a day and spend the other half walking back for the car, so I saw the canal twice, crusing one way and walking the other - I did similar to transit the K&A.

I can see though that keep doing the same bus ride etc might get dull.  

A folding bike can be used, either on its own or in conjunction with public transport, to retrieve the car. Helps in all those places where the railway station is distant from the canal, or where the bus runs only on alternate tuesdays. When folded the bike does not take up too much room on the boat and can be taken on buses, trains or in the boot of the car.

For those using public transport https://www.traveline.info/ is invaluable for plnning your journey using buses and trains.

4 hours ago, David Mack said:

A folding bike can be used, either on its own or in conjunction with public transport, to retrieve the car. Helps in all those places where the railway station is distant from the canal, or where the bus runs only on alternate tuesdays. When folded the bike does not take up too much room on the boat and can be taken on buses, trains or in the boot of the car.

For those using public transport https://www.traveline.info/ is invaluable for plnning your journey using buses and trains.

Second vote for a folding bike - made Fenny Compton to Whittington a breeze, cycled into Banbury,  train to Lichfield,  cycle to Whittington.

Also useful when it was more than half-a-dozen mile walk back for the car

Having finally started my life on the cut, I very recently went through the hoops of legit car insurance with no fixed abode - I've a mail forwarding address but wanted to be clean about it not being my residential address, or to use a friends, and though I may be in the marina for a few months over winter, I did want to CC next year and wanted proper cover for this.

I ended up with Hertz who do a 'walkabout' insurance for people on extended holidays in campers/motorhomes (though I've just got a Berlingo MPV). Was about £120ish more expensive than my old insurance, but I'm fine with that for this year, was just good to get it out of the way. Also covers me for European travel for 90 days.

First night aboard the boat tomorrow, I got there in the end :)

bx

• Greenie 1

We don't have a big need for a car so got rid of ours the day we started ccing. We hire from Enterprise when we need one, they rarely cost more than £30 per day, often less than £20, sometimes a van is cheaper than a car. This year we've hired 6 times and spent approx £250 for the year. I have a yearly insurance excess policy costing £40 for the year so I don't take out Enterprise's £15 per day.

I have just started doing exactly this...cc'ing with a car as I need it to drive to work as the new job doesn't have good public transport links sadly. It's been very easy so far but I stay moored for a week minimum. I can see it being a drag if you move a considerable mileage every day or so. For me though, as others have said, I enjoy the walk back to get the car when I do move and it's not usually more than a couple of hours to walk. Parking is very easy and can be checked in advance using Google maps and street view. Went for as small a car as possible to help squeeze into spaces though. It does feel like a lifeline too as not so many boat yards or fuel boats now I have left the London/Grand union so the car could be used to go and collect coal or empty an elsan.

I'd echo what Dave 123 has said.  It works for me.  There more you do it, the easier it gets because you get to know the best mooring spots which work for you.  I tend to move on every 7-14 days and rarely move more than 5 miles.  I have got into jogging so I run back to collect my car.  One important point:  make sure you take your car key with you.  Running 5 miles to your car to find you have to run 5 miles back again to get your keys, and it's raining, that wasn't a good day!!!

Some canals work better for this arrangement.  For example, the Shroppie has the annoying shelf which means you often have to stay on visitor moorings which are limited to 48 hours.  Around Birmingham you have the concern about safe mooring spaces which makes it more likely that you'll have to move further.  But the public transport is better.  The Trent & Mersey works well.  The Stratford and the Oxford are good because of train stations along the way. 

Lot's of people who do this use a small van like a Kango or Transot Connect.  Not sure why, maybe more stealthy?  I have a little hatchback but have considered a 4x4 version as there are some spots I can't reach in bad winter weather.  Good spots where the car access is up a bumpy track.

2 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

I'd echo what Dave 123 has said.  It works for me.  There more you do it, the easier it gets because you get to know the best mooring spots which work for you.  I tend to move on every 7-14 days and rarely move more than 5 miles.  I have got into jogging so I run back to collect my car.  One important point:  make sure you take your car key with you.  Running 5 miles to your car to find you have to run 5 miles back again to get your keys, and it's raining, that wasn't a good day!!!

Some canals work better for this arrangement.  For example, the Shroppie has the annoying shelf which means you often have to stay on visitor moorings which are limited to 48 hours.  Around Birmingham you have the concern about safe mooring spaces which makes it more likely that you'll have to move further.  But the public transport is better.  The Trent & Mersey works well.  The Stratford and the Oxford are good because of train stations along the way. 

Lot's of people who do this use a small van like a Kango or Transot Connect.  Not sure why, maybe more stealthy?  I have a little hatchback but have considered a 4x4 version as there are some spots I can't reach in bad winter weather.  Good spots where the car access is up a bumpy track.

The Shroppie Shelf can be overcome by floating a couple of wheelbarrow wheels between the boat and the bank.

Available from Screwfix and elsewhere.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/pneumatic-wheel-360mm-diameter/20600?tc=WT7&ds_kid=92700022061887971&gclsrc=aw.ds&ds_rl=1241687&ds_rl=1245250&ds_rl=1244072&gclid=CjwKCAiAu_LgBRBdEiwAkovNsFZjrlL0VuVqkXxI6SlXMyqFDS7SbJ2A1PT9RVq2gai07JpIzmWoxxoCG4QQAvD_BwE

I had use of a car for a few months and it was dead handy. Now I’m back on public transport and it’s a drag. Public transport can add several hours on to a working day. 

I clocked up 5 hrs journey the other day, 3 hrs going one way and 2 coming back, alot of time spent waiting for connections. The same journey takes 50min by car. 

I hate driving but I’d rather that than pubic transport. 

I’ll be glad to get my motorbike fixed. Much for fun to ride. 

6 minutes ago, cuthound said:

That's true but in lots of places they need to be pretty big wheels and my little legs get scared at the jump!  In many places the nearest I can get to the bank is about 2 foot so wheelbarrow wheels don't work. I have a plank but it's a bit mouldy so I'm also scared that it will break while I'm crossing it.

4 minutes ago, Goliath said:

I had use of a car for a few months and it was dead handy. Now I’m back on public transport and it’s a drag. Public transport can add several hours on to a working day. 

I clocked up 5 hrs journey the other day, 3 hrs going one way and 2 coming back, alot of time spent waiting for connections. The same journey takes 50min by car. 

I hate driving but I’d rather that than pubic transport. 

I’ll be glad to get my motorbike fixed. Much for fun to ride. 

I imagine I'd hate driving too if I was 8 foot tall.  Not enough headroom.

Edited by doratheexplorer
  • Happy 1