just intrested to know (semi diesel paraffin blowlamp)

Jrtm

Featured Posts

kinda intrested to know how many engines still use a paraffin blowlamp to start there engines?

i know lots of semis are about but most use gas now, at one point there must have been 100s of them about

i can only think of 4

dane (clayton)

peacock (fmc)

beech (fmc) engine now at the cafe

20hp with gearbox at the port

I used to start my Seffle with a blow lamp.  I don't know what the present owner uses.

I've just found an old video of me trying to to light the blowlamp.  This often turned out to be more difficult than starting the engine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSlpxmlWkV0

Edited by koukouvagia
  • Greenie 1

6 hours ago, Ray T said:

Miss read the OP. Enjoy the video's anyway.

Can't recall the names atm but a couple of Malcolm Burge's boats do.

Also:-

Spey

Minnow.

Jaguar

jag has a problem that she dosnt need a blow lamp.

I thought spay was gas.

minnow not seen in her for long time but was gas

was just intrested as i know alot are now gas. I always found gas took longer and didn't burn as hot

Edited by billybobbooth

11 hours ago, billybobbooth said:

kinda intrested to know how many engines still use a paraffin blowlamp to start there engines?

i know lots of semis are about but most use gas now, at one point there must have been 100s of them about

i can only think of 4

dane (clayton)

peacock (fmc)

I looked after a 'Butch' Barge in the 70/80's Which had a Deutsch Industries Semi Diesel ,single Cylinder 30 HP .It had a Paraffin Blowlamp which was Fired up with Woodshavings/Meths .it took 5-10 mins to get it Cheerful and then it was Used to encourage the Hotbulb to attain Black heat(Soft Red then lower Temperature to Black.Gas could have been used but I preferred the Paraffin Lamp.starting that Machine up had a very 'Sorcerer's Apprentice' feeling to it.

The Boat was called 'RIOS',

Edited by cereal tiller
  • Greenie 1

12 hours ago, billybobbooth said:

i can only think of 4

dane (clayton)

peacock (fmc)

LIly 20hp bolinder with GB The Seffle in LILy when I had her was "leccy "glow plug heating about 1to 2 mins the unit is now in "Severn "but don't know if Jem has kept the heating &/or air/compression start  Owl in Seffle days before the Kelvin Some of the Alvcote fleet Bolinders  "Cranes' motor

Edited by X Alan W

On 15/12/2018 at 20:51, billybobbooth said:

I thought spay was gas.

Spey is indeed converted to use a propane blow torch, while otherwise retaining the majority of her original equipment. This is plumbed in, with a bottle in the box on the deck just ahead of the cabin.

Daniel