Roof paint colour - light or dark?

Grassman

Featured Posts

Most people's opinion is that a lighter colour on a narrowboat roof can deflect the sun better than a dark colour does and therefore means the boat being cooler inside, but does it really make a significant difference or just a slight one? I'd be particularly interested to hear from those of you who have had both light and dark roofed boats to see just how much difference you think a light roof makes, if any.

Also, and this might be more difficult to answer, is there much/any difference in heat absorption or deflection between a gloss finish and a mat or semi/mat finish? I presume a gloss finish would deflect the sun better but could dazzle sometimes when you're standing at the helm.

My boat is in for a repaint soon and I want a dark coloured roof but I'd really be grateful for your opinions before I make a final decision.

BTW, I appreciate that a darker colour would probably fade quicker than a light one and I'd be okay with that, it's the heat factor that I'm more concerned about.

it makes a huge difference.   period.   

elementary physics deals with a 'perfect black body' that absorbs all the infra-red (heat) radiation that lands on its surface.    the darker and less reflective it is, the better it works - at absorbing all the heat from the sun, that is.

it is worth noting that in the gulf countries the majority of cars are white - with good reason.

Edited by Murflynn

Myth busters covered this with a white car and a black car sat out in the Californian sun. As I recall the black car did get measurably hotter inside than the white one but it wasn’t enough to get really excited about. Maybe you could find it on YouTube. 

My boat is mainly green with a cream roof. Laying your hand on the topsides and the roof on a summers day shows a tremendous difference in temperature. Whereas the roof is pleasantly warm, you cannot hold your hand on the green cabinside.  My garage door at home is also painted dark green and even at this time of year if there is any sun you can feel the warmth emitted from the door if you stand close.
I would go for the light colour every time.

10 minutes ago, Grassman said:

Most people's opinion is that a lighter colour on a narrowboat roof can deflect the sun better than a dark colour does and therefore means the boat being cooler inside, but does it really make a significant difference or just a slight one? I'd be particularly interested to hear from those of you who have had both light and dark roofed boats to see just how much difference you think a light roof makes, if any.

Also, and this might be more difficult to answer, is there much/any difference in heat absorption or deflection between a gloss finish and a mat or semi/mat finish? I presume a gloss finish would deflect the sun better but could dazzle sometimes when you're standing at the helm.

My boat is in for a repaint soon and I want a dark coloured roof but I'd really be grateful for your opinions before I make a final decision.

BTW, I appreciate that a darker colour would probably fade quicker than a light one and I'd be okay with that, it's the heat factor that I'm more concerned about.

Our boat had a light colour on the roof, blue.

It was a PITA to keep looking clean. That may or may not be important to you.

Edited by MJG

26 minutes ago, bizzard said:

A Safari roof is the thing to have, like Safari Land Rovers have, a second roof which stands off the main one by a couple of inches so the main roof stays all lovely and cool with the breeze ablowing between.

Yer good in their time only in the series 3 mainly, stop watching that VHS Born Free Mr Bizzard. 

I need new teeth thanks to Landrovers.?

3 minutes ago, Greyladyx said:

Yer good in their time only in the series 3 mainly, stop watching that VHS Born Free Mr Bizzard. 

I need new teeth thanks to Landrovers.?

The old series 2, 2a, 2b LWB ones with cart springs and 7x50x16 tyres jogged badly but the swb ones  didn't.  Safari roofs were an optional extra too for all L/Rovers as were a whole host of other extra's, even four driven bogie full catapillar tracks.

15 minutes ago, bizzard said:

The old series 2, 2a, 2b LWB ones with cart springs and 7x50x16 tyres jogged badly but the swb ones  didn't.  Safari roofs were an optional extra too for all L/Rovers as were a whole host of other extra's, even four driven bogie full catapillar tracks.

Catapillar was a conception that never took off they scrapped that idea, they did build a tray back forest landy with Salisbury axles front and rear with the leaf springs turned upside down just like the 101 forward control tractor trailer .

Landys took over my life and my mum's driveway.  It's black now.?

Edited by Greyladyx
Clearer post
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, Greyladyx said:

Catapillar was a conception that never took off they scrapped that idea, they did build a tray back forest landy with Salisbury axles front and rear with a swomp tyres (alvis stalwarts 900's)  if i remember right but that was a fail too so was the floating landrover with balloon tubes.

Landys took over my life and my mum's driveway.  It's black now.?

There was also a four wheel four wheel drive trailer, towed by the L/Rover and its wheels driven from its transfer boxes power take off, which made the whole combined thing 8 wheel drive. I specialized in the repair of L/Rovers for a number of years.

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, bizzard said:

There was also a four wheel four wheel drive trailer, towed by the L/Rover and its wheels driven from its transfer boxes power take off, which made the whole combined thing 8 wheel drive. I specialized in the repair of L/Rovers for a number of years.

I did can we swap spit lol

Ore landys come on in mjg the waters fine.

Biz we need to talk more about landy stuff.

Pm me sometime.

5 minutes ago, Greyladyx said:

Ere no that was my first ever membership of this forum and the reply you gave me was quite arrogant and offensive.

I have always stated who I am to the forum at all times after getting upset by not only your posts but bullying from other members on here.

I have just returned after a year stating who I am to the forum mods who know my circumstances more clearly than yourself.

Now if you wish to proceed to bully or post towards passive aggressive post towards me then I sujjest you put your concerns to the forum instead of trying to manipulate me into a rebellious posting.

You've already upset a friend of mine tonight.

I sujjest you contact the forum for direction.

Have a think about this Martin.

I loose nothing by leaving but I think I can add to this forum in a relaxed jovial manner.

I won't be rude because I think that's us what you seek. Nice try though.........

Seen it so many times on here........

So why didn't you just use Brassedoff when you logged back in?

Genuine question.

You asked me to explain it BTW so let's not get all hissy fit if I do.

Edited by MJG

6 minutes ago, MJG said:

So why didn't you just use Brassedoff when you logged back in?

Genuine question.

Because I left because of bullying because I change my emails to escape from bullying and I change my passwords to try and stay away because of bullying.

After a while I forget who I was on here.

Try taking 600mg of quitiapine at night.

Have a serious think no offence.

Night end of the day I am not a rotten egg and I know hundreds on the cut in first name stop and chat.

Edited by Greyladyx
No more correspondance
  • Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Greyladyx said:

Because I left because of bullying because I change my emails to escape from bullying and I change my passwords to try and stay away because of bullying.

After a while I forget who I was on here.

Try taking 600mg if quitiapine at night.

Have a serious think no offence.

Night

Ah right...........

Just so you know though, disagreeing with you is not bullying you.

Just Sayin.

1 hour ago, Boater Sam said:

Red oxide roof, not noticeably different from the cream before.

Gloss not a good idea, you will slip off.

Next time I do mine it will be 2 pack epoxy paint with a fancy patterned non slip finish and that will be the last time it gets done.

Raddle Red even grey.

I would always go for semi semigloss on a roof.

1 hour ago, MJG said:

Ah right...........

Just so you know though, disagreeing with you is not bullying you.

Just Sayin.

The past portrays just saying.

It's ok I don't hold grudges but when you can obviously see I am trying your a fork in my rear.

I don't get thus, well ?

Tommmoruw I might just get on with boating and speak to my new friend.

Is what it us/ life us shut.. ..