Pigeon box weld in or bolt on

Martin Kedian

Featured Posts

30 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

I was under the impression that the "rule" was somewhat flexible and was dependent on how useful the post was and how the member interacted with the forum, so a random "buy this thing" from new member is frowned upon, whilst someone like yourself who posts informative stuff and interacts with the other members is fine.

All that waffle basically means I see no issue with your post and think the mod was being overzealous and I would be happy to see more of posts

Bugger just noticed this is a very old zombie threads 

Yes its great fun digging up ten year old threads and seeing who doesn't notice 😄

I have three wheely bins here at the hovel, household, recycle and garden waste. Each gets emptied once a fortnight and Its great fun too messing with the neighbours by putting out a bin on a non-collecting day and seeing who else puts theirs out too. 

What a life I lead, eh?!! 

On 18/12/2018 at 17:14, BWM said:

I posted it as an add on to Rays comment, just a little more information into the mix. 

I've never seen these legs, and am certainly interested in seeing them, i'm fairly sure that the holes in the flange were there and i just added some in the pigeon box to allow for a bolt, perhaps these supported a similar mechanism? From early pictures it appears that most large boats were fitted with boxes that were rounded at the top, with windows similar to letterbox apertures

From the series of photo's by David Scherman of AudreyEvelynAnn for Life Magazine.

18839282_1933588753553778_1365225213857689175_n.jpg

Iw 23.jpg

Edited by Ray T
  • Greenie 1

Buckden has fitted what is claimed to be a fairly faithful replica of an original Big Woolwich pigeon box. This has steel sides, riveted inside the flange, and wooden ridge piece and flaps at a much steeper angle than is generally seen on modern pigeon boxes, with rectangular brass lights. 

I have been told that Waterways generally replaced these originals with flat wooden pigeon boxes with a single porthole on the top, which fitted over the flange. Presumably the holes to which you have bolted your pigeon box once held rivets.20190729_085502.jpg.f8aedd0f4dfcc2a30634890fc38c3079.jpg20190729_085535.jpg.424f7ca1dbe986fd7e83da88d47b2636.jpg

(Sorry about the upsidedownness)

Edited by David Mack
  • Greenie 1

44 minutes ago, MtB said:

Yes its great fun digging up ten year old threads and seeing who doesn't notice 😄

I have three wheely bins here at the hovel, household, recycle and garden waste. Each gets emptied once a fortnight and Its great fun too messing with the neighbours by putting out a bin on a non-collecting day and seeing who else puts theirs out too. 

What a life I lead, eh?!! 

Never had you pegged as a rogue binfluencer.

I used to occasionally put the wrong one out as a few neighbours used to wait til i did and then copy, then later i'd switch it back.

Now one of them grumpily puts the correct one out at about 4pm to foil my plans :( 

29 minutes ago, Ray T said:

As a slight variation, pigoen box decoration.

Not my picture but painting by Dave Moore.

The origin of the plume terret?

Horse tack.

6796571607_f99b59629b_o.jpg

Sorry, but those things always make me think of this.....

Beaker Portrait Print The Muppets image 1

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, alan_fincher said:

Sorry, but those things always make me think of this.....

I will never be able to see one in the same light again!

I know this forum is capable of spectacular derails and this thread is no exception but the reason I resurrected it was to ask if you ever took any photos of the levers which hold your pigeon box shut?

Cheers

Alec

Some nice looking steelwork there, and some nice paint jobs. The curse of the steel boxes is the condensation  problem as mentioned.

Hardwood boxes reduce the condensation problem and, to my eye, look great with a gloss finish and brass ports. The one shown is one of a pair in iroko, rebated over a steel upstanding and awaits the brass ports and final finish. All fixings are out of sight inside. I enjoyed dovetailing these but have no need to advertise since I am retired and sitting on the bank.

CB26150F-5428-40FD-B019-99A8D128AE01.jpeg