Pigeon box weld in or bolt on

Martin Kedian

Featured Posts

I may be wrong but I believe the pigeon box was one of the boaters personal possessions like the chimney which he took from boat to boat with him.

Sorry about the crummy pictures but it is the best I can find at the moment.

DSCF4870.jpg

DSCF4869.jpg

Edited by Ray T

I would have that design but with full length glass and double glazed and bolt on for cheaper DIY fitting.

I have the above design as photo above my bed. I Installed a removable sheet of laminated safety glass below to fit in over the ceiling lining to stop the drips of condensation landing on me, but removable for summer breeze. 

James.

4 minutes ago, canals are us? said:

I would have that design but with full length glass and double glazed and bolt on for cheaper DIY fitting.

I have the above design as photo above my bed. I Installed a removable sheet of laminated safety glass below to fit in over the ceiling lining to stop the drips of condensation landing on me, but removable for summer breeze. 

James.

5577017_orig.jpg

If you mean this style that's a dog box - and the image is nicked off @Martin Kedian's website!

• Greenie 1

Mine, which are almost exactly the same as Martin's grey one, are neither bolted nor welded. They are not fixed at all but are held in position inside metal tabs welded to the roof. You can lift them off vertically. This has always seemed a little insecure to me. The boat is an Orion.

9 hours ago, Greyladyx said:

Not as simple as bolting on though on a lined boat.

But as there is all most no forces on the fixings unless you hit a branch or something even if its only a 2 or 3mm roof sheet you would still be bale to tap at least on thread into the roof which would secure it well enough. Especially if it is bedded on one of the sealer adhesives that are now available.

9 hours ago, Greyladyx said:

Not as simple as bolting on though on a lined boat.

It is if you use self-drilling and tapping screws. Martin came and put two pigeon boxes on mine this way ten years ago. He made it look quick and easy.

Shame they are both on slightly crooked! :giggles:

3 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

But as there is all most no forces on the fixings unless you hit a branch or something even if its only a 2 or 3mm roof sheet you would still be bale to tap at least on thread into the roof which would secure it well enough. Especially if it is bedded on one of the sealer adhesives that are now available.

We usually use a Teck screw which taps its own thread they are security boost so can’t be removed without the correct tool 

5 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

It is if you use self-drilling and tapping screws. Martin came and put two pigeon boxes on mine this way ten years ago. He made it look quick and easy.

5 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Should have gone to Specksavers 

I have been informed by admin that advertising is not allowed so I Perhaps by posting pictures for discussion have broken the forum rules I apologise if I have stepped over the line the pictures show what is possible to do and give opportunity for discussion I haven’t posted prices or advertised prices 

perhaps I am in error and don’t fully understand.     

16 minutes ago, Martin Kedian said:

I have been informed by admin that advertising is not allowed so I Perhaps by posting pictures for discussion have broken the forum rules I apologise if I have stepped over the line the pictures show what is possible to do and give opportunity for discussion I haven’t posted prices or advertised prices 

perhaps I am in error and don’t fully understand.     

Martin, your have been incorrectly informed then by an apparently incompetent mod. (Now which one, I wonder :giggles: )

Advertising IS allowed, there is even a specific board for it. 

There used to be an section for advertising your business here I'm reasonably certain but today I can't find it. Having had a look for it, it seems to be gone. Anyone else remember it?

Even so you can still place ads in "For Sale and Wanted".

• Happy 1

4 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Martin, your have been incorrectly informed then by an apparently incompetent mod. (Now which one, I wonder :giggles: )

Advertising IS allowed, there is even a specific board for it. 

There used to be an section for advertising your business here I'm reasonably certain but today I can't find it. Having had a look for it, it seems to be gone. Anyone else remember it?

Even so you can still place ads in "For Sale and Wanted".

Well actually.......

RULES AND GUIDELINES REGARDING ADVERTISING

Commercial advertising is not permitted anywhere on CWDF, this includes user profiles, postings and messages unless otherwise agreed by the Site Administration.

Postings about commercial products and services are permitted within the context of topical discussion.

So unless specifically agreed, as it's his business, I don't think Martin could place advertisements for his commercially produced areas in the "For Sale or Wanted" section.

You or I, on the other hand, could sell something he had fabricated second hand via that route.

I certainly have no issue with Martin starting threads that show the things he produces, and hope that Daniel and site admin would see it as useful.  His posts are always educational to me about what is available and how they are made and fitted. However at the point he started to do actual advertising, and with a price list, it is fairly clear that the rules say he could not do so without special permission.

Perhaps Dan could clarify his position on this?

(Oh, and by the way, I realise it pushes costs up, but those fairly basic brass portholes and small fixing bolts do the products no favours.  They would look even better with proper heavy brass castings, secured with proper countersunk brass bolts with nice big heads on!).

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

2 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Well actually.......

So unless specifically agreed, as it's his business, I don't think Martin could place advertisements for his commercially produced areas in the "For Sale or Wanted" section.

You or I, on the other hand, could sell something he had fabricated second hand via that route.

I certainly have no issue with Martin starting threads that show the things he produces, and hope that Daniel and site admin would see it as useful.  His posts are always educational to me about what is available and how they are made and fitted. However at the point he started to do actual advertising, and with a price list, it is fairly clear that the rules say he could not do so without special permission.

Perhaps Dan could clarify his position on this?

(Oh, and by the way, I realise it pushes costs up, but those fairly basic brass portholes and small fixing bolts do the products no favours.  They would look even better with proper heavy brass castings, secured with proper countersunk brass bolts with nice big heads on!).

Thank you for the clarification the brass ports were from Midland Swindlers 

as you say more costly ones would be better a customer asked for these 

9 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

I would neither weld them in, or bolt them on, but leave the pigeons free to fly away when the lids are opened. You lot are very cruel and insensitive for even discussing otherwise.

Jen ?

When we bought Flamingo it transpired that one flap of it's otherwise fairly authentic looking engine room pigeon box had been tack welded shut.

No idea why, and it now bears some light scarring underneath from the work necessary to make it openable again.

For what it is worth, proper GUCCCo pigeon boxes sit over a rivetted angle upstand on the roof, but are not directly secured to the boat.  However the "legs" used to prop them open on small brackets that are part of the boat are also designed with a pin through them such that when the flaps are closed, they are locked down, thus securing the whole thing and stopping it being removed.  Many have lost this feature over the years, which is a real shame, as it both prevents easy theft of the box, but also allows easy removal for painting and the like.

When Simon Wain and Dave Ross made a replacement box for Sickle at Brinklow Boat Services, this feature was reinstated.

6 minutes ago, Martin Kedian said:

Thank you for the clarification the brass ports were from Midland Swindlers 

as you say more costly ones would be better a customer asked for these 

Sadly the ones that really replicate the historic item are very expensive.

Probably worth it for the right feel on a genuine ex working boat, but those looking to do things more cheaply would probably not part with the cash.

Edited by alan_fincher

10 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

And as you point out, the 'Rule' allows for specific agreement so commercial advertising IS allowed on this site. By specific agreement.