Window inserts

Martin Kedian

Featured Posts

On 14/12/2018 at 17:43, Martin Kedian said:

5E68D987-B4AF-4ECE-A1A0-08EE34F6CA06.jpeg

B2432A97-1850-4018-B0A6-FC0993A2D3DB.jpeg

Replace a window with a porthole using these inserts 

Making a feature out of a porthole panel by recessing it like this s definitely the way to go, rather than welding it in flush and trying to hide it which would be much more difficult and probably wouldn't work.

7 hours ago, blackrose said:

Making a feature out of a porthole panel by recessing it like this s definitely the way to go, rather than welding it in flush and trying to hide it which would be much more difficult and probably wouldn't work.

I have done both prefer the inserts every time

Just a suggestion, but if break ins are a major issue, why not keep your big windows ( with all the extra light), and weld, say, three thin steel bars across the outside of the window (plus maybe two vertically for extra rigidity), as some house owners do on  rear ground floor windows in dodgy areas? 

Wouldn't look very nautical or romantic- in fact it might create the sophisticated ambience of a remand cell-  but if the budget's tight... 

Also zombie proof, because why not. 

1 hour ago, Tony1 said:

Just a suggestion, but if break ins are a major issue, why not keep your big windows ( with all the extra light), and weld, say, three thin steel bars across the outside of the window (plus maybe two vertically for extra rigidity), as some house owners do on  rear ground floor windows in dodgy areas? 

Wouldn't look very nautical or romantic- in fact it might create the sophisticated ambience of a remand cell-  but if the budget's tight... 

Also zombie proof, because why not. 

Some people chose to do this  the inserts are a good solution once you have been broken into and cost effective 

18 minutes ago, Martin Kedian said:

Some people chose to do this  the inserts are a good solution once you have been broken into and cost effective 

Also some people look at a boat with windows that meets all of their requirements and would purchase it if it had portholes 

this means it now becomes a consideration as a change is possible 

'Heres what I made today'

It's an interesting idea and if the customer is happy then happy days. 

Personally I would rather be able to see out and enjoy the world the hide behind portholes. 

If I was for some reason worried I guess you could fit bars. 

Portholes or bars may prevent entry, which might prevent but it doesn't keep the boat safe from damage or total loss. 

Then again if it's what you want for aesthetics that's another matter.

Daniel

27 minutes ago, DHutch said:

Personally I would rather be able to see out and enjoy the world the hide behind portholes. 

Portholes or bars may prevent entry, which might prevent but it doesn't keep the boat safe from damage or total loss. 

Daniel

I agree with your comments bars tend to be a little unsightly and replaceing a window costly but it is as always customer driven 

than you for your comments 

1 hour ago, Mad Harold said:

I like the look of portholes In my opinion they make a boat look much more "nautical" as opposed to a floating caravan.   An excellent product.

Dare I ask how much?

Yes of course a single one is £195 discount for more than one only one lot of setting up machines thank you for your kind comments 

On 19/12/2018 at 12:54, DHutch said:

Daniel

I don't think anyone is "hiding behind portholes" Daniel and I don't agree with what seems to be your premise that only "worried" people want to protect their property. I look out of my 15" portholes and enjoy world every day so I'm not sure what you're talking about here. Also, nothing that I know of can actually keep any boat completely safe from damage or total loss. That's not really the point.  No door lock is entirely impregnable for example, but most of us still lock our doors. It's all a question of degrees of security, not entirely protecting a boat as you seem to be suggesting. By your logic, because you can't guarantee keeping a boat 100% protected you'd do nothing at all to protect it! 

I remember several years ago on a security thread you said that someone could still kick my portholes in a set fire to my boat. At the time I thought that was a particularly stupid comment, but put it down to your youth and inexperience. Your thinking may not have developed that much, but at least you're not talking about setting fire to boats anymore!

On the issue of aesthetics I do happen to think that portholes look better on boats than bus windows, but that's just a personal preference.

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

Of course, how secure portholes are depends on the design. A former neighbour managed to lock themselves out of their boat. Fortunately, their portholes were of the type with a single drop black glass circle for ventilation and one in the bathroom had been left open. We managed to remove the glass from the outside and a particularly slim hipped boater was able to project himself feet first through and unlock the doors. Good in this instance, but not as secure when out on the cut.

Jen

4 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Of course, how secure portholes are depends on the design. A former neighbour managed to lock themselves out of their boat. Fortunately, their portholes were of the type with a single drop black glass circle for ventilation and one in the bathroom had been left open. We managed to remove the glass from the outside and a particularly slim hipped boater was able to project himself feet first through and unlock the doors. Good in this instance, but not as secure when out on the cut.

Jen

If you leave your front door open expect to get burgled 

4 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Jen

Another solution that will deter the opportunistic burglar is to fit a sheet of polycarbonate to the outside of your window frame in the shape of your window. Also acts as double glazing. Not wanting to tempt fate by commenting on the effectiveness and of course you could still put a crowbar through it. 

Porthole inserts look lovely! I bet they'd look good with some coachlining on

I have to agree about how lovely portholes look on boats, but as usual everyone has their own perspectives and priorities on questions like this, and my priority is to have the maximum feeling of light and space, so my preference is for large windows if possible.

And I am willing to accept significant compromises in order to keep the big windows and still be able to address the security issues. 

Bars are an unsatisfactory compromise, but protective toughened plastic sheets might just be a pretty decent compromise. 

I sometimes wonder how far to take the whole issue of security- eg I used to consider how I might protect myself in my worst possible scenario (and a massively unlikely scenario) of being attacked by a determined gang of armed thieves when moored at night in an isolated section of canal, out of earshot of any possible helpers and with no phone signal. 

12 inch portholes and securely locked steel doors would be an almost impregnable barrier to any thief without heavy equipment, but I do still ponder- is the effort really worth it? 

I guess it largely depends on where you plan on cruising?