Miserable Canal Boat Owners

saltyseadog

Featured Posts

I always understood the Watford Gap to be the divide, rather than Watford, Herts. In our terms I believe thats about Long Buckby. :lol:

About 1 mile up fron Norton Junction on the leicester section, you can nip through the hedge and make use of the Service station facilities. Handy if you're on a cruiser, looking for petrol, a free shower and a wimpy.

i have to see i generally have noticed this trend myself... whether it is narrowboating or walking for example.. down here in sunny old south west.. most people put their head down and avoid you.. up north everyone says hello!
That reminds me of that old light bulb joke, though it's not especially funny:

How many northerners does it take to change a light bulb?

Ten

One to change the bulb and nine to tell you how much friendlier people are up north

Like a lot of jokes about generalities and national stereotypes it contains an element of truth.

The reason is to do not with north or south but with money. The wealthier people are, the less they have to do with their immediate neighbours. Not a 100% rule of course but that is the trend. When you are poor, you tend to share with others. But when you have a bit, you tend to want to have your own space to a much greater extent.

Since a lot of northern areas are much poorer than southern, the people tend to be more outgoing. But I'll bet that in the richer parts of the north, people keep their distance as much as southerners. Similarly, people living in poorer parts of London will tend to know each other far more than those in middle and upper class areas.

regards

Steve (lifelong Londoner)

I've made use of the facilities when on historic boats too.... :lol:

I've always understood the Watford Gap to be a geographical feature, not a service station.....:lol:

Well the service station is on my map so that it is a geographical feature. The natural gap in the hills, though, would surely make it a geological feature.

just to expand this tread a little further as well as miserable boaters

have you blokes also noticed another canal boat phenomenon, sorry girls got to say it, mods move this to the pub

UGLY CANALBOAT WOMEN

you know the type long grey hair with dodgy centre part,

and as my former care worker would say 'big boned' a 'pie shifter' the sort that could lapse into a coma if not kept regularly supplied with pastry based products

and all this waffling on about what equipment should you put into you 2007 new build rcd qualified boat should at least include a mirror and some lippy for your woman

so is it just me or are there any fit ones out near you

or am i just unlucky

all the females boaters near me look as if theyve got off the last bus to hebden bridge

:lol::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers: Absolute classic. Thers a pint on the bar for you in the virtual pub. :lol:

Well the service station is on my map so that it is a geographical feature. The natural gap in the hills, though, would surely make it a geological feature.

:cheers: Thought you'd spot that one Wilson.... :lol:

....though the natural gap in the hills is shown on my OS map as a series of contour lines..... :lol:

Edited by Hairy-Neil

We found 99% of boat owners where a lot more friendly to us this year.

But don't know if this was due to the fact that we where in the North or if it was because we looked like we knew what we where doing.

The only bump on the whole holiday this year was a couple on a new sae away reverse into us when we where moved.

Well,

I was born in the South.

Whilst I moor just north of Watford Gap (whether that be a geographical feature, a geological feature or a motorway service station, I frequently cruise south of it as well as the northern waters.

And I moor in a Marina.

Probably best I go and shove my head in a gas oven now then.

Graham

Well,

I was born in the South.

Whilst I moor just north of Watford Gap (whether that be a geographical feature, a geological feature or a motorway service station, I frequently cruise south of it as well as the northern waters.

And I moor in a Marina.

Probably best I go and shove my head in a gas oven now then.

Graham

Dont light it first Graham it'll singe yr eyebrows :D

I was born in the South.

And I moor in a Marina.

Probably best I go and shove my head in a gas oven now then

You think you`ve got it bad

I was born in Bournemouth { can`t get much further south }

I`m a lowly holiday hirer

And I like red neckerchiefs { which is as bad as being a holiday hirer as far as I can glean }

Consider yourself privileged.

I heard some while ago on some long forgotten radio prog that Watford Gap was called so because when the were building the motorway the did it several sections at a time (kind of like the old tunnel digging days when the dropped shafts and had multiple faces working).

As the sections joined there was eventually just the one left that was down to the Watford gang to fill - hence the Watford Gap.

Of course - they may just have been making it up.

I heard some while ago on some long forgotten radio prog that Watford Gap was called so because when the were building the motorway the did it several sections at a time (kind of like the old tunnel digging days when the dropped shafts and had multiple faces working).

As the sections joined there was eventually just the one left that was down to the Watford gang to fill - hence the Watford Gap.

Of course - they may just have been making it up.

Watford Gap is said to be the traditional crossing point on the old east-west coaching route across England. Here, a natural gap in the hills affords the easiest route between the Midlands and South East England, as well as linking to the important north-south route provided by Watling Street. An important coaching inn was located here, and the building still stands, named as the Watford Gap pub.

Edited by carlt