12v laptop chargers needed

DannyC

Featured Posts

Is it a better idea to look at a small inverter which you can then use with multiple small mains devices?  I had one of those devices in that link and I found it rather unreliable and it died for no apparent reason. Also on many of them the output voltage is switchable so it is vitally important you check it each time you use it and ensure it doesn't get knocked when in use or it could be bye-bye laptop.

13 minutes ago, StephenA said:

Is it a better idea to look at a small inverter which you can then use with multiple small mains devices?  I had one of those devices in that link and I found it rather unreliable and it died for no apparent reason. Also on many of them the output voltage is switchable so it is vitally important you check it each time you use it and ensure it doesn't get knocked when in use or it could be bye-bye laptop.

I don't think this is switchable

This Replacement Laptop DC Power Adapter/Car Charger for your laptop enables you to operate your notebook or charge the battery from your Car Cigarette lighter. If you are running your computer on DC power with a battery installed, the adapter charges the battery (if needed) and maintains its charge. When the system is off, the DC adapter will charge the battery and then maintain its charge.

• Power4Laptops Branded Car Charger
  • Input Voltage: 12V DC
  • Output Voltage: 20V
  • Output Amperage: 3.25A
  • Plug Size: 4.0mm X 1.7mm

4 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I don't think this is switchable

This Replacement Laptop DC Power Adapter/Car Charger for your laptop enables you to operate your notebook or charge the battery from your Car Cigarette lighter. If you are running your computer on DC power with a battery installed, the adapter charges the battery (if needed) and maintains its charge. When the system is off, the DC adapter will charge the battery and then maintain its charge.

• Power4Laptops Branded Car Charger
  • Input Voltage: 12V DC
  • Output Voltage: 20V
  • Output Amperage: 3.25A
  • Plug Size: 4.0mm X 1.7mm

Is this one better https://www.lps-gopower.org/original-lenovo-ideapad-320s-320s-14ikb-car-auto-dc-travel-charger-73401.htm?gclid=CjwKCAiAo8jgBRAVEiwAJUXKqIUuOQbYVMYJ47_vQqQLuDfsF6fVPU9tf-aZ3-EifOJIOSzAMMr_khoClmoQAvD_BwE

9 minutes ago, philjw said:

How do these adapters cope with the variations in input voltage that could be seen while alternators are running? Do they act as stabilisers too?

The last one I linked to

Feature:
Input: AC 100-240V, 50/60Hz DC type: Vehicles 12V Input, Airplane 15V input (11V-17V )
Output: 45W 20V/ 2.25A, 65W 20V/ 3.25A (19V-20V 2.25A-3.42A 7.7A Max)
Connector:4.0mm*1.7mm
Color: Black

9 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

The last one I linked to

Feature:
Input: AC 100-240V, 50/60Hz DC type: Vehicles 12V Input, Airplane 15V input (11V-17V )
Output: 45W 20V/ 2.25A, 65W 20V/ 3.25A (19V-20V 2.25A-3.42A 7.7A Max)
Connector:4.0mm*1.7mm
Color: Black

This is the one I use on my 19v Acer Aspire.

Cheaper 'variable voltage' ones are available, but being an idiot I wanted idiot proof.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/90W-19V-4-74A-Adapter-Charger-For-ACER-Aspire-TravelMate-in-car-Notebook-PC/232774383884?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

s-l1600.jpg

On 13/12/2018 at 21:16, br4k3s said:

Just go on Amazon/fleabay type in 12v charger for name & model of laptop/notebook etc, details will reveal a multitude of items at varying prices & quality, select and enjoy,. Simples

I'm not getting this: I get my laptop power from a 230v socket, through a back box [warm], in to a battery, and as far as I know the laptop needs 19 volt, so how is a 12v  socket [and that could be anything from 9 to 13 v], going to do the right thing by the laptop? 

Is the battery absorbing electrickery and sending it to the laptop as 19 volts? 

Edited by LadyG

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

Simply

The 'gadget' takes 12v DC and increase it to 19v DC.

A tiny little 'transformer' and does all the magic

A picture of mine in Post #11

You can get cheap 'variable' versions (about £5) where you just dial in the voltage you want

6v, 9v, 12v, 14v, 16v, 19v, 20v (for example)

Edited by Alan de Enfield

On ‎18‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 07:00, LadyG said:

I'm not getting this: I get my laptop power from a 230v socket, through a back box [warm], in to a battery, and as far as I know the laptop needs 19 volt, so how is a 12v  socket [and that could be anything from 9 to 13 v], going to do the right thing by the laptop? 

original post was for 12v charger, don't know why you assumed 230v ?