brand new boat survey?

Clanky

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, Jinna said:

Hello all, my first question. would you have a survey done on a brand new boat? or is the bsc and the rcd enough?

Is this a survey you would be having done before taking delivery of, and paying for, a NEW boat direct from the manufacturer, or, are you referring to a 'young' but secondhand boat ?

14 minutes ago, Jinna said:

a brand new boat direct from the manufacturer before taking delivery of and paying for.

If you are confident in your choice of builder, then you should be confident in them sufficiently to not require someone to 'check up on their work'.

If they have complied with the RCD requirements then the boat should be structurally sound and safe.

A surveyor MAY look for, and find bad welds, but I doubt it, the 'limit' of many surveyors is just to hammer the hull and see what it sounds like.

I wouldn't bother adding extra cost into the project by having a survey.

13 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

Who is your builder?  Are they in China?

Or Poland ?

The Poles have had several years of NB building now and their boats are not that bad.

If it is a UK builder they vary from a Fred-in-a-shed building the odd boat for pocket money, to 'production line' factories. and similarly variable quality.

13 minutes ago, Jinna said:

thanks Alan, just to clarify, i didn't choose the builder, it's a brand new boat i've seen that is up for sale direct from the builder, 

There are few true boat builders (ie who do the complete job) but many boat fitters who buy 'hulls' from a hull builder and then do their own 'fitting out'. Legally (under RCD rules) these 'boat fitters' are the Boat Builder (and that applies if you build your own boat - you are legally a boat-builder) so as you can see there are a wide variety 'variables'

Name the builder and you'll get good advice.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

7 minutes ago, Jinna said:

i don't think its a slow boat? the builder is new concept boats

Never heard of them. but I would just mention that a previous boat builder at this address went bust taking a load of customers money with them. Phoenix companies in this industry are commonplace.

I don't know if New Concept is the old company with a new name but try and do some research.

Here is your "starter for 10"

They only registered as a company with Company's  House on 31st July 2018 and they are registered as a boat repair and maintenance company (not a boat builder)

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/11491715

Edited by Alan de Enfield

25 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

If IF IF they have complied with the RCD requirements then the boat should be structurally sound and safe. But you will only ever have their word for it without an independent survey

Amended your comment ever so slightly....

• Greenie 2

I bought a sailaway some eleven years ago.  I engaged a surveyor to oversee the build.  This included him visiting the boatyard during the fabrication of the shell, visiting me during my fitting out and doing all the RCD documentation (all for £650!).

He did pick up a couple of things during the fabrication, and had them re-weld some of the sections and had them doing some more work to pull in the sides as the width of the boat in places was over 7 feet (it still finished up as 6' 11" - first thing i did was put through Hurleston Locks).

This was an experienced boat builder, so no guarantee that a new shell will be fully up to scratch.

• Greenie 1

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

Amended your comment ever so slightly....

100% agree, but I did say :

29 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

If you are confident in your choice of builder, then you should be confident in them sufficiently to not require someone to 'check up on their work'.

If you made the right choice then ………………….

However - it now seems the OP didn't not choose the builder, it is just that the 'company' has a boat available.

9 minutes ago, Jinna said:

i don't think its a slow boat? the builder is new concept boats

Unless you are very sure of a boat builder, personally I would have the boat surveyed before going ahead with a purchase, especially if you have little experience of what goes into building a complex system  such as a boat. The extra cost in total price is small compared to your peace of mind. 

Good luck

Howard

• Greenie 3

Hmmmm looks very cheaply built, judging solely by the photo of the bow. Just one rubbing strake where a well built boat will have three. What else have they skimped on? Everything, I suspect. 

717902.jpg?1541076698

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Looking at their 'gallery' on their website - if they are typical of the boat built - don't touch them with a barge-pole.

Vertical sides, no-tumblehome.

Yes they may build boats for the "modern day boatman" but not for cruising !!!

sr_520461_large.jpg

Christ on a bike that's ucking fugly!!!

• Haha 1
  • Horror 1

1 minute ago, Jinna said:

thanks all for the helpful replies, i think we will keep looking.

Looking again at their website they say :

We fit out Narrowboats to 70ft Widebeams from Sailaway stage to fully fitted all at affordable costs. 

So they buy hulls from 'anyone' and just do the 'fit-out'. 

It may be that the boat you are looking at is by a 'good' builder.

Would you like to provide a link to it, ?

You will get unbiased opinions (that you may not like, but could save you £1000's)

or,

It may be 'looks great - go for it'.

Isn't it worth a try (rather than totally giving up on it) ?

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Looking at their 'gallery' on their website - if they are typical of the boat built - don't touch them with a barge-pole.

Vertical sides, no-tumblehome.

No, Olinda was a very specific custom boat for Norman - he basically wanted a floating railway carriage, and that is exactly what he got.

sr_520462_large.jpg

Oh, and note the forward steering wheel just visible - it does get about in all weathers!

1 hour ago, Jinna said:

It all looks 'frightfully modern' - what on earth is a "Enclosed Morso Squirrel 1410 Fire with Twin Flue and storage cupboard".

And (as Mike pointed out earlier) judging by the rubbing strake(s) it appears to be an 'economy' hull.

Very proud of the 'rustic tiled floor and porcelain taps' but where is the hull specification ?

Looks worth an offer of £60k, leaves you some cash for 'updates' - and at least it has a proper toilet system. !!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

No the link was there right in the original unedited post. Thats where I got the photo from!

(In post 16 that is)

It wasn't there when I posted, otherwise I wouldn't have asked for a link.

5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It wasn't there when I posted, otherwise I wouldn't have asked for a link.

Well it was, because I followed it to get the photo I posted an hour before you asked for the link!

Well half an hour anyway, but my point stands.

Friend bought a nearly new boat with all the required RCD and BSS etc. Made and fitted by a well known Liverpool company, Collinwood.

Had it surveyed.

Surveyor discovered several "missed" welds, below water line! And some in the fuel tank.

No one is immune from poor workmanship.

Boats with little or no tumblehome on the cabin are terrible to take through narrow locks and bridges and are plum ugly, also mostly unsaleable used.