Feeling like a dead duck

magictime

Featured Posts

My son Sam plays sometimes with 'Angry Fish', the whole band have some sort of ability issue, two in wheelchairs, one with poor eyesight, Sam has Aspergers. They are actually quite good but getting onto stages etc. can be interesting. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Tki3VwrLj0 . they seem to have picked up some bloke with a violin on this one.

Edited by Bee

Just now, rusty69 said:

Does he plant seeds? 

Now you're confusing him with that Jethro Tull geezer. 

Curiously he lived at and owned Prosperous Farm by the church I was ringing at last night. 

There is a nice plaque in the church I was perusing after ringing. 

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Now you're confusing him with that Jethro Tull geezer. 

Curiously he lived at and owned Prosperous Farm by the church I was ringing at last night. 

There is a nice plaque in the church I was perusing after ringing. 

Yeah, that's him. Invented the Sea drill iirc for gathering ice core samples. 

• Haha 1

Curiously mother-in-law used to play tennis with Ian Anderson in later life. She was totally clueless about music and had no idea how famous he was. Said to us 'there is this bloke in the tennis club was telling me he was in a 'pop group' (probably her interpretation of what he said!). Had we ever heard of Ian Anderson? When we all went YESS!!!! she looked terribly taken aback..

12 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

In 1985 one of my wheelchair bound patients asked if it was possible to get him to wembley to see Mr Anderson.

Disability access was less advanced in those days. The ‘home’ risk assessed it discussed it and declined it. ( it was the Spastic society ,awful name). We bought two tickets and just went for it turning up with wheelchair at the arena, via tube and taxi No problems. Arena staff were great.

no one ever found out , one of best concerts i ever attended.  Would probably have lost my job but so what.

Good for you!

It's funny, Tull aren't exactly one of my top ten bands, but if I had a time machine that could whisk me back to see bands in their prime, I reckon they'd be near the top of my wishlist based on some of the 60s/70s live footage I've seen.

Not sure if 1985 was before or after Ian Anderson started to have real issues with his voice - I think he had throat surgery around that time? It's only when you see more recent footage of him that you realise what a good singer he used to be.

(I think I'm more bothered by such things than many people. I love the Beach Boys but could never bring myself to see Brian Wilson live when he started touring in the 00s; his voice is just so far removed from what it used to be, I always suspected I'd find the whole thing a bit depressing.)

5 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

Everytime we go into a caravan park i hear the words

’ got as much brain as a dead ant

as much imagination as a caravan site’

Happy memories of seeing the Bonzos, and the great Neil Innes.

That always makes me laugh, my parents ran a caravan site in Brittany for many years.

14 hours ago, rusty69 said:

Yeah, that's him. Invented the Sea drill iirc for gathering ice core samples

The seed drill for planting spuds.

If I remember my history lessons from school correctly,he also wrote a best seller [for the time] called  "Horse Hoeing Husbandry"

On 12/12/2018 at 21:47, Mike the Boilerman said:

Curiously mother-in-law used to play tennis with Ian Anderson in later life. She was totally clueless about music and had no idea how famous he was. Said to us 'there is this bloke in the tennis club was telling me he was in a 'pop group' (probably her interpretation of what he said!). Had we ever heard of Ian Anderson? When we all went YESS!!!! she looked terribly taken aback..

That's one hell of a coincidence ,as my mother in law also played tennis with Ian Anderson when he joined a club near Axminster ; he lived for a while in Devon.She was most impressed that on  his application form to the club ,he modestly stated his job as "musician".

7 minutes ago, Quaffer said:

That's one hell of a coincidence ,as my mother in law also played tennis with Ian Anderson when he joined a club near Axminster ; he lived for a while in Devon.She was most impressed that on  his application form to the club ,he modestly stated his job as "musician".

Yep that fits in, they lived in Lyme Regis at the time!

Actually ISTR Mr Anderson being deeply upset and offended by the torrent of negative and plain nasty reviews received by Tull's album "Thick As A Brick" and announcing he was giving up music as everyone disliked his work so much. A great shame I though at the time as I really liked Thick As A Brick. I think he was lured back though...

2 hours ago, Quaffer said:

That's one hell of a coincidence ,as my mother in law also played tennis with Ian Anderson when he joined a club near Axminster 

My mate lived next door to Terry Nelhams-Wright who I once met...

Just thought I’d jump in with the obscure “I once knew a bloke who went out with the sister of a guy who was the cousin of...”

On 13/12/2018 at 09:31, magictime said:

It's funny, Tull aren't exactly one of my top ten bands, but if I had a time machine that could whisk me back to see bands in their prime, I reckon they'd be near the top of my wishlist based on some of the 60s/70s live footage I've seen.

(I think I'm more bothered by such things than many people. I love the Beach Boys but could never bring myself to see Brian Wilson live when he started touring in the 00s; his voice is just so far removed from what it used to be, I always suspected I'd find the whole thing a bit depressing.)

I saw J.Tull when I was at university. They were third on the bill, below The Foundations (well known soul group) and The Outer Limits (who?). Tull were indeed entertaining although many of us wondered what on earth they were all about - I mean, a bloke in an ex-army greatcoat playing a flute?? Like far-out, man.

Never saw Brian Wilson until this year. His set was excellent most of the way, all the golden hits and more, except when 1) Blondie Chaplin tried to change a couple of numbers into a rockguitarfest, and 2) when Brian took lead on one song. But, lest we forget, Brian rarely sang lead vocals in The Beach Boys' halcyon days, and his current band includes original BB Al Jardine whose voice is in good nick and who sings most of the lead parts.