Pontcysyllte Aqueduct

max's son

Featured Posts

This is a matter of concern, and I gather regular checks are made regarding the structure.

It appears this accident happened in May 2016, and the claim is that the railing became dislodged. The young man who died was 18.

Edited by Heartland

IIRC there was a panic in around 67 that some railings were rotted dislodged I remember several pieces of the rebar sheet used in concrete  floors being fixed over the offending railings they disappeared after a time so assume the problem was fixed  it's a shame if it becomes closed to boats as they are not reliant on the railings  after all there's not much protection on the off side

Its world heritage status would make any changes to the appearance of the railings impossible. They don't meet current requirements for spacing and there are notices that small children need close supervision as they could squeeze through them. Maintenance and like for like replacement wouldn't be a problem and could allow current access arrangements to continue. I could see a situation where they are closed off at night and people only allowed on under supervision in guided groups if CaRT get super paranoid. The whole canal system has this problem. Built 200 years plus ago as industrial infrastructure, long before health and safety was invented, but now swarming with 260,000,000,000,000, or whatever the current claimed number is  of general public visitors a year.

Risk perception is a weird thing. Falling from the aquaduct is an obvious, dramatic and scary thing. People drowning while walking back from the pub doesn't get the same reaction, but the victims are just as dead.

Jen

Just to add that from the newspaper information it does look to be a failure of the railing, not its design and the unfortunate young man was heading home from work, so likely cold sober. Very sad.

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

I have read a report that the unfortunate young man was crossing the aqueduct on the outside of the railings, which makes failure of an upright more likely and more serious. I also seem to recall that CaRT made a comment to the effect that the railings were "safe for normal use".

Must confess I can't find the relevant article now : all the newspapers appear to have the same report. Maybe been removed, pending full inquest?

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Its world heritage status would make any changes to the appearance of the railings impossible. They don't meet current requirements for spacing and there are notices that small children need close supervision as they could squeeze through them.

Not necessarily. The Piece Hall in Halifax is Grade 1 Listed and has railings around the upper galleries which have a similar wide spacing which doesn't meet modern safety requirements. In the recent refurbishment they have fitted mesh panels over the railings which can be seen in the photo below. It isn't an ideal solution, but could be an acceptable compromise at Pontcysyllte.

columns-and-arches-at-the-piece-hall-hal

5 hours ago, Iain_S said:

I have read a report that the unfortunate young man was crossing the aqueduct on the outside of the railings, which makes failure of an upright more likely and more serious. I also seem to recall that CaRT made a comment to the effect that the railings were "safe for normal use".

Must confess I can't find the relevant article now : all the newspapers appear to have the same report. Maybe been removed, pending full inquest?

That is how I remember it, maybe they will want them 10 foot tall with a roller top so they cant climb over

I spent early 2017 on the Llangollen Canal when repairs and checks were being done on the railings. 

A local informed me that a young lad had fell to his death. The lad had been crossing on the outside of the railings when he fell. So, feet on the bottom of the railings and hand over hand shuffling left, his body weight leaning back. Every 3rd or 4th railing has (or had) by design some give in it. It was one of these railings that either led him to loose grip or broke. 

It was also said that it’s been a dare for years, especially after leaving the pub, to cross like that. 

True or not I can’t say, but its what I was told. 

1 hour ago, Flyboy said:

I've often wondered if there were ever railings on the offside. If I remember correctly there are square holes in the top of the side plates.

I'm sure I have in the past seen it clearly stated in some kind if Q&A about the aqueduct that it has never had railings on the non tow-path side.

Anybody steering a working boat over it would have been at virtually zero danger if they stayed in the hatches, so why would anybody have gone for the expense of railings where they served no useful purpose.

Back when it was constructed nobody would have thought of future possibility of drunks on hire boats being used for stag parties, and whether any of them would be looking to win Darwin award.

13 hours ago, Iain_S said:

If that is true, death by misadventure seems to fit.

She is responsible for many Darwin Awards winners.

Edited by Boater Sam
smellings & Added

I though Mis adventure was responsible for boats hanging over a weirs.

However, the account of a young man attempting to walk along the outside of the railings at Pontcysyllte is one that I recall I have heard.

Still very sad, but people do idiotic things for a dare or nowadays perhaps more for a selfie.  

I had an employee who in his mad youth used to ride his bicycle across Marple Aqueduct on the off side. There was no fence then and it is about 2ft wide I remember.

Not been that way recently but seem to remember hearing that £100K has been spent fencing it.

Suppose it will help the idiots cross on the outside of the fence there as well.

24 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

I had an employee who in his mad youth used to ride his bicycle across Marple Aqueduct on the off side. There was no fence then and it is about 2ft wide I remember.

It's actually a lot wider than 2 feet.  More like 4 or 5 feet,  I still wouldn't cycle on it, of course, but standing firmly on it on a calm day didn't actually  feel very dangerous.

IMG_2732.JPG

Edited by alan_fincher

8 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

It's actually a lot wider than 2 feet.  More like 4 or 5 feet,  I still wouldn't cycle on it, of course, but standing firmly on it on a calm day didn't actually  feel very dangerous.

Its much safer now with its lovely new railings. :)

If he died by falling off when crossing *on the outside* of the railings, why on earth is there any suggestion that the aqueduct is dangerous and needs modifying? Might as well say that because somebody got killed by a train while walking along the rail, we should make such idiocy impossible...

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

Plenty of foot room there for anyone tempted to walk on the wrong side of the railings. It could be argued that the provision of railings in this form is actually encouraging such behaviour.

6486-Bisca-railings-on-Marple-Aqueduct-1

Yes and very handy to tie rope swings and bungees.