Bridgewater boat crime

sniffy

Featured Posts

I attended a Bridgewater Canal watch meeting last night where the majority of club representatives agreed that crime, especially boat break-ins and theft from decks is increasing at an alarming rate, although there have been arrests, the crimes continue. not just waterborne crime but also on from the banks with security gate padlocks cut with albeit large boltcroppers

Are we boaters a easy target nowadays, maybe better housing and car security makes us one of the better options ?

41 minutes ago, johnmoly said:

I think we all know crime is on the increase everywhere, all because of Government penny pinching, less police more crime, anybody with an ounce of common sense can work that one out.

Yeah but look where you live!!

• Haha 1

It's 'Austerity Britain', severe cutbacks everywhere and as already mentioned drastic police cutbacks. Rural parts of Wales have been subject to gangs of would be criminals in vans, most people know they have to take the law into their own hands. A good dog is worth their weight in gold

• Greenie 3

3 hours ago, Clodi said:

Rural parts of Wales have been subject to gangs of would be criminals in vans, 

Does that mean they havn't actually decided toactually BE one yet, or might just be going to commit a crime but havn't quite got round to it yet, maybe, just like me, you, the next door neighbour, the milkman, the queen......

They tend to make the mistake that most city-type people make in not understanding that just because they don't see anyone around doesn't mean they haven't been seen & tend to bugger off pretty sharply when they realise they've been rumbled.

Having said that there's been a sharp rise in sheep rustling and even metal gates being nicked.

22 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Yeah but look where you live!!

According to the Governments Office for National Statistics, Merseyside is the second safest area to live in the UK, second only to Tyneside. Of course we don't expect most people to know that, but at the rate of hotels being built here it can't be that wrong.  As I said, most areas of the UK are suffering from the extra crime rate due to the lack of police on the streets.

• Greenie 1

28 minutes ago, johnmoly said:

According to the Governments Office for National Statistics, Merseyside is the second safest area to live in the UK, second only to Tyneside. Of course we don't expect most people to know that, but at the rate of hotels being built here it can't be that wrong.  

But the crime stats are widely discredited because people don't bother to report crime, because they have no faith anything will be done about it. 

And you seem to agree with this given you use hotel building as a better measure!

30 minutes ago, johnmoly said:

As I said, most areas of the UK are suffering from the extra crime rate due to the lack of police on the streets.

Again I'm curious about how you know this given the crime stats are so unreliable. 

24 minutes ago, johnmoly said:

According to the Governments Office for National Statistics, Merseyside is the second safest area to live in the UK

Safest from what ? Shooting, stabbing, mugging ……………………….

According to the stats Liverpool post codes suffer 49.49 burglaries (property content thefts) per 1000 houses per annum.

The figures are only taken from 'Reported Crimes' and issued by the Insurance industry and taken from over 2 million quotes over the last 2 years.

At the 'other end of the scale' :

BOTTOM 20 BURGLARY HOTSPOTS BY POSTCODE
Source: MoneySuperMarket, 17/01/18 
Rank Postal district  Area  Contents theft rate (per 1,000 quotes) 
EX39  Bideford, Hartland   0.78 
SR7  Murton, Seaham, Dalton-le-Dale, Cold Hesledon  1.09 
EX16  Tiverton, Sampford Peverell, Witheridge, Bickleigh  1.10 
DL16  Spennymoor, Byers Green, Kirk Merrington, Middlestone, Page Bank, Westerton, County Durham, Whitworth, North Close 1.16 
SY23  Aberystwyth, Llanbadarn Fawr, Penparcau 1.18 
6 CF31 Bridgend, Court Colman, Pen-y-fai, Bridgend 1.22 
TQ13  Chagford 1.26
CA13  Cockermouth, Cumbria  1.27 
NE31  Hebburn  1.30 
10  EX15  Cullompton, Willand  1.35 
11  BT37  Whiteabbey  1.36 
12  CF35  Bridgend  1.38 
13  PL19  Tavistock, Bradstone, Mary Tavy, Brentor  1.39 
14  AB43 Fraserburgh, Pennan 1.39 
15 LL55 Caernarfon, Llanberies, Beddgelert  1.40 
16  KY4  Cowdenbeath, Kelty  1.41 
17  CA15  Maryport, Allonby, Flimby, Dearham  1.50 
18  TQ4  Paignton, Stoke Gabriel 1.50 
19  NN18  Corby, Geddington, Great Oakley, Northamptonshire 1.60 
20  NR20  Dereham, Bawdeswell, Swanton Morley, North Elmham, Mattishall, Whissonsett, Beetley, Guestwick, Welborne  1.63 

5 hours ago, Boater Sam said:

When I caught a petty thief messing with someone else's boat, he got voluntary diving lessons. As he tried to get out, he unfortunately slipped accidentally and smashed his face on the piling.

He won't try theft near me again.

I recently saw some people “stealing” a boat. Turned out to be relatives.

10 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Safest from what ? Shooting, stabbing, mugging ……………………….

According to the stats Liverpool post codes suffer 49.49 burglaries (property content thefts) per 1000 houses per annum.

The figures are only taken from 'Reported Crimes' and issued by the Insurance industry and taken from over 2 million quotes over the last 2 years.

At the 'other end of the scale' :

BOTTOM 20 BURGLARY HOTSPOTS BY POSTCODE
Source: MoneySuperMarket, 17/01/18 
Rank Postal district  Area  Contents theft rate (per 1,000 quotes) 
EX39  Bideford, Hartland   0.78 
SR7  Murton, Seaham, Dalton-le-Dale, Cold Hesledon  1.09 
EX16  Tiverton, Sampford Peverell, Witheridge, Bickleigh  1.10 
DL16  Spennymoor, Byers Green, Kirk Merrington, Middlestone, Page Bank, Westerton, County Durham, Whitworth, North Close 1.16 
SY23  Aberystwyth, Llanbadarn Fawr, Penparcau 1.18 
6 CF31 Bridgend, Court Colman, Pen-y-fai, Bridgend 1.22 
TQ13  Chagford 1.26
CA13  Cockermouth, Cumbria  1.27 
NE31  Hebburn  1.30 
10  EX15  Cullompton, Willand  1.35 
11  BT37  Whiteabbey  1.36 
12  CF35  Bridgend  1.38 
13  PL19  Tavistock, Bradstone, Mary Tavy, Brentor  1.39 
14  AB43 Fraserburgh, Pennan 1.39 
15 LL55 Caernarfon, Llanberies, Beddgelert  1.40 
16  KY4  Cowdenbeath, Kelty  1.41 
17  CA15  Maryport, Allonby, Flimby, Dearham  1.50 
18  TQ4  Paignton, Stoke Gabriel 1.50 
19  NN18  Corby, Geddington, Great Oakley, Northamptonshire 1.60 
20  NR20  Dereham, Bawdeswell, Swanton Morley, North Elmham, Mattishall, Whissonsett, Beetley, Guestwick, Welborne  1.63 

All I know is that in the 35 years I've lived in inner city Liverpool, I'm now 72, I have only one problem with crime and that is when someone broke into my shed to steal an old anorak I used for painting the outside of our semi. No problem with any of the cars parked outside.  And I am not the only one.

My cousin who lives down south, once told me a few years ago when she worked for the ONS , they collect data from the Police, Insurance companies, Utility firm etc etc.

Yes, I understand about your point from people not bothering to report such matters, especially these days.

People in the countryside do tend to be rather casual with locking up their vehicles,sheds etc.  However,as has been said,vehicles and strange people are noticed.  Any vehicles that pass the farm that I do not recognise,I make a mental note of.(not many vehicles pass us). We also have dogs. A recent case of a van driven down from Merseyside to steal off a farm,found that neighbours can be called on for support. One case I heard of where a farmer was threatened with a knife,the perpetrator found that many farmers also have a gun. Not very bright threatening a man with a shotgun with a knife.

5 minutes ago, nebulae said:

. Not very bright threatening a man with a shotgun with a knife.

I think you meant that it is not very bright threatening a man with a knife when you are armed with a gun - by law he must use only 'proportional force'

The guy with the gun will get locked up and the Knife-wielder gets 'help' to overcome his kleptomania.

Ask Tony Martin.

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1