Sickly sr2

Roxylass

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, rusty69 said:

The third rocker, counting away from the oil filter looks to be running dry compared with the others, and i can't see any clearance when moving (it's difficult to tell from a video).

2 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

I noticed the smoke form the cooling air outlet. That may point to a head gasket or possibly exhaust manifold gasket  leak as others have suggested.

Yes! With that flat sound coming from the engine, I'd try injector washers first

Richard

2 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

I noticed the smoke form the cooling air outlet. That may point to a head gasket or possibly exhaust manifold gasket  leak as others have suggested.

Agreed, much easier.

Out of interest do SRs have a separate finned sleeve around the injector or are the fins on the injector itself, we had both sorts at the yard but I never forund out what engine fitted the ones with built in fins.

Edited by Tony Brooks

7 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Agreed, much easier.

Out of interest do SRs have a separate finned sleeve around the injector or are the fins on the injector itself, we had both sorts at the yard but I never forund out what engine fitted the ones with built in fins.

The fins are part of the nozzle holder on the injector. The separate sleeve with alloy fins seem to be a Petter thing

Richard

2 minutes ago, RLWP said:

The fins are part of the nozzle holder on the injector. The separate sleeve with alloy fins seem to be a Petter thing

Richard

Thanks, now I am confused, I was sure the SL4s used a separate sleeve, I can even "see" the bare injector in my mind's eye, but there you go, you have had your hands on them far more recently than I have..

1 minute ago, Tony Brooks said:

Thanks, now I am confused, I was sure the SL4s used a separate sleeve, I can even "see" the bare injector in my mind's eye, but there you go, you have had your hands on them far more recently than I have..

Not SL4s I haven't, or that many SLs for that matter

Richard

Smoke came out of the duct straight away whilst cranking over to start, perhaps the engine wasn't cold though and had already been run up to temperature just pror to making the film. An egg cup full of fuel or better still paraffin poured around the injectors should bubble up if looked at with a torch while the engines runnin to see if the washers are leaking.  Points more towards a manifold gasket leaking in my opinion, but that usually makes a loud staccato noise.

Edited by bizzard

6 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Smoke came out of the duct straight away whilst cranking over to start, perhaps the engine wasn't cold though and had already been run up to temperature just pror to making the film. An egg cup full of fuel or better still paraffin poured around the injectors should bubble up if looked at with a torch while the engines runnin to see if the washers are leaking.  Points more towards a manifold gasket leaking in my opinion.

Not an easy thing to do on an SR. You'd have to squirt the liquid in between the fins on the head through the air duct.

14 minutes ago, Roxylass said:

Hi bizzard

the engine was started from cold 

I'd start it when its stone cold again and sniff that smoke whilst its cranking over, whether its a diesel fuel smell or an exhaust smell, probably exhaust.