Sickly sr2

Roxylass

Featured Posts

You didn't swear once!

OK, so it is running on both cylinders, so you can rule out quite a lot of things

I'd take the rocker covers off, check the valve clearances and have a good look at the rockers

Another possibility - it is blowing somewhere, maybe an injector washer, maybe a manifold joint

Richard

I don't want to send Roxylass off looking for all sorts of things but on the SL4s we got tinny rattles when the tin cover that is trapped under the manifold fatigue cracked and much louder when a retaining eye on the baffles between the cylinders cracked. Sounds a bit heavy for that though. Only consider this after you have used the listening stick and followed Richards advice.

1 minute ago, Tony Brooks said:

I don't want to send Roxylass off looking for all sorts of things but on the SL4s we got tinny rattles when the tin cover that is trapped under the manifold fatigue cracked and much louder when a retaining eye on the baffles between the cylinders cracked. Sounds a bit heavy for that though. Only consider this after you have used the listening stick and followed Richards advice.

It won't be the baffles between the cylinders, the ones on the SR are much simpler. No eyes to fall off

Good call on the shround

What I don't like about this sound is, it goes away when the speed control is shut

Richard

1 minute ago, Tony Brooks said:

This is just for Richard for now. Do the SRs have cast in iron combustion chambers in the pistons like the SLs? I have just remembered where I heard a similar sound on a Lister.

No - fortunately!

All alloy piston

Richard

I have not had a lot to do with Listers but 1) it seems to start OK so perhaps piston / rings are reasonable. 2) I would certainly get the rocker covers off to check all the valve clearances etc and everything else under there. 3) badly seating injectors and general injector stuff can make odd noises and then that really leaves getting the heads off I suppose. At least the engine has good access and its not a horrible complicated thing so its maybe not too big a problem (?)  Good luck with it though.

IMHO,forget the pics,chech the tappet clearances......should be about the thickness of a credit card.......if one clearance is a lot larger,check the pushrod for bend,and the adjusted lock nut for loose..........icarefully inspect the valve springs......they should all look the same.....check for broken coils..........if there is nothing wrong with the clearances and springs,then I would lift the head,and remove the the valves,and check for a loose guide in the head............You can take out the valve springs without removing the head,but be sure to plug all the holes to below before renoving the collets and caps

A boatie took the head off the 4/108 perk in his boat,and a couple of local boys were helping him handed the head over to him as he stood up in the dinghy.The boys lost their grip on the  head,the head fell on the boatie,a rocker stud snagged in his overalls,the dingy tipped over,and he was dragged down in the murky water.One of the boys dived in ,but couldnt find the boatie in the deep water.....the other boy swam to shore and got help......so do be careful.

11 minutes ago, Roxylass said:

Thank you very much rusty

could you possibly let me know how you do this 

i mean get it from you tube on to the forum 

save bothering you again 

kindest regards 

Just copy and paste the url (see image).Select the URL (left click hold and drag), then Right click copy.Then right click paste in CWDF 

Screenshot 2018-12-15 at 16.02.55.png

Screenshot 2018-12-15 at 16.06.16.png

Edited by rusty69