CO Warning. Be careful out there

mrsmelly

Featured Posts

• 2 months later...
On 08/03/2023 at 13:35, DHutch said:

I believe having a CO alarm is now a recommendation of the BSS which should improve the situation and make the more widespread 

Not a recommendation. Mandatory since April 2019 

Now we are 4 years on . So on the inland waterways all boats with accommodation spaces and which require a BSS Certificate should have at least one  CO detector.

37 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Not a recommendation. Mandatory since April 2019 

Now we are 4 years on . So on the inland waterways all boats with accommodation spaces and which require a BSS Certificate should have at least one  CO detector.

And, some of the 'early adopters' may need to soon renew their batteries.

The batteries on ours are shown as 5 year replacement.

I have some CO alarms that have a standard AA type battery. Others have a sealed for life battery.

The alarm will make a sound when the battery gets low.

But they all have test button.

I did have one sealed for life type which failed after a  year which was disappointing. 

8 minutes ago, MartynG said:

I have some CO alarms that have a standard AA type battery. Others have a sealed for life battery.

I did have one sealed for life type which failed after a  year which was disappointing. 

I think its worth remembering that the internal CO sensors only last up to 7 years anyway.  So the whole unit really has to be replaced after 7 years.  That's irrespective of the battery condition.

22 minutes ago, Rebotco said:

I think its worth remembering that the internal CO sensors only last up to 7 years anyway.  So the whole unit really has to be replaced after 7 years.  That's irrespective of the battery condition.

That's interesting as ours at home has a stated life of ten years. In fact it's due to be replaced now as it's ten years old this week.

https://www.safelincs.co.uk/slim-line-digital-co-alarm-7dcoc-kidde/?fGB=true&gad=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwjryjBhD0ARIsAMLvnF912BfWAdMjELVJ1fcW9gjR1HA7WvIM06WXr8YSPrXsO_GMQ8psDH8aAs5EEALw_wcB

27 minutes ago, M_JG said:

That's interesting as ours at home has a stated life of ten years. In fact it's due to be replaced now as it's ten years old this week.

https://www.safelincs.co.uk/slim-line-digital-co-alarm-7dcoc-kidde/?fGB=true&gad=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwjryjBhD0ARIsAMLvnF912BfWAdMjELVJ1fcW9gjR1HA7WvIM06WXr8YSPrXsO_GMQ8psDH8aAs5EEALw_wcB

I think ours is 10 years - possibly why they say replace batteries at 5 years, but, the 'combined' smoke & Co alarm for the campervan has a 'service life' of 3 years.

4 hours ago, MartynG said:

That is why I went back to the ones with 3 dry cell batteries in them. It gets tested every time we come onboard as I remove the batteries when we go home.

4 hours ago, Rebotco said:

Mine says it will alarm end of life after 10 years from initial power up

57 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

That is why I went back to the ones with 3 dry cell batteries in them. It gets tested every time we come onboard as I remove the batteries when we go home.

Mine says it will alarm end of life after 10 years from initial power up

Perhaps technology has improved.  Nevertheless, there remains a specific lifetime for all CO alarms, quite apart from the batteries.

On 25/05/2023 at 15:28, Rebotco said:

Perhaps technology has improved.  Nevertheless, there remains a specific lifetime for all CO alarms, quite apart from the batteries.

My new CO alarm came today. I notice it has a 7 year warranty but a 10 year sensor life.

I wonder if that's were 7 years comes from??

15 hours ago, M_JG said:

My new CO alarm came today. I notice it has a 7 year warranty but a 10 year sensor life.

I wonder if that's were 7 years comes from??

The one on the van is a 10 year sensor life. Only know this because the hab check guy checked it and noted the install date and replacement date in his report.

As the smoke and CO alarms on the boat and at home come due for replacement I'm going back to replaceable batteries as I've had at least two (Kidde or FireAngel, can't remember which) of the long life battery types start giving a low battery warning after about 2 years. CBA with the hassle of claiming under warranty as I expect they'd find a reason to wriggle out of it.

I like the convenience and lower whole of life costs of the long lIfe types but only if they last as long as they're meant to. Seems to be a bit of a lottery.

• Greenie 2

• 6 months later...

I have had two of the so called 7 year CO alarms with non replaceable battery which have failed due to end of battery life . The first one of the pair failed after a year and the second just recently which is 3 years after purchase.

So its the type with replaceable batteries which I will be using  in future.

2 minutes ago, MartynG said:

I have had two of the so called 7 year CO alarms with non replaceable battery which have failed due to end of battery life . The first one of the pair failed after a year and the second just recently which is 3 years after purchase.

Same here

25 minutes ago, MartynG said:

If you open them up you can replace the battery, a CR123 usually,  soldered in but easy to fix.

Given how critical it is that the item works it seems to me a good move to routinely replace them before any chance of sensor failure. A good time to do this would be BS inspection time. I know the BS does not need a new one to be present but it won't do any harm and you can keep the old one as well. 

I also wonder if an enclosed environment with a multifuel stove may tend to generate a bit of dust. Would this potentially reduce the lifespan of the CO sensor? 

16 minutes ago, magnetman said:

I also wonder if an enclosed environment with a multifuel stove may tend to generate a bit of dust. Would this potentially reduce the lifespan of the CO sensor? 

Also potential to reduce the lifespan of the boater.

• Greenie 1

On 11/12/2018 at 15:51, Naughty Cal said:

We were in Saxilby on Saturday evening. Four boats moored up. Two of which were running generators not only well past the 8pm time limit but also on their back decks under canvas covers with the wind blowing at the stern of the boats. 

You can not educate everyone!

Good job you don’t live aboard! I’m sure they know what they’re doing, Are they Deceased? Do you care? No did you tell them? 

4 minutes ago, Roxy said:

Good job you don’t live aboard! I’m sure they know what they’re doing, Are they Deceased? Do you care? No did you tell them? 

So I'm in my house right now and I left the CO monitor on the boat, no biggie except I came home to get a new boiler fitted and the way the steam from the outside exhaust blows in through the kitchen window is quite concerning, as I said in a house not on my boat (s).

K