CO Warning. Be careful out there

mrsmelly

Featured Posts

Just now, Dyertribe said:

Well, I do have a life.....

And.....

better late than never

You need to let go Alyson of that comment I made all those years ago, it's obviously eating you up.

Let it go, you know it makes sense.

8 minutes ago, LadyG said:

There are people on canals who are in small boats, cabin cruisers, they may use all sorts of "stoves"

All of whom have to have a BSS. Which looks at all of the “stoves” and the number of berths, and calculates the minimum amount of high level and low level ventilation required to service it all. As I replied to Alan, if you ignore that advice then you’re a documented idiot but if you follow that advice then heating the boat by having all the gas rings on would harm nobody, because the BSS has already taken that into consideration. 

11 minutes ago, cereal tiller said:

Tony was jesting with banter talk ,Don't be a Mug by taking it  seriously ?

Only partly. It’s also valid that misinformation abounds. 

37 minutes ago, MJG said:

You need to let go Alyson of that comment I made all those years ago, it's obviously eating you up.

Let it go, you know it makes sense.

Comment??

I know not of what you speak. 

Swallow your anger and schadenfreude and enjoy Christmas with your family, I know that’s what I extend to do. 

4 minutes ago, Dyertribe said:

Comment??

I know not of what you speak. 

Swallow your anger and schadenfreude and enjoy Christmas with your family, I know that’s what I extend to do. 

As I said on thunderboat.

Lol

I think you meant intend BTW.

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

But not relevant to canal boats which require a BSS, part of which entails ventilation calculations...

Which is surely more relevant in this forum?

Which is not required to pass a BSS inspection

These are separate postings joined by the computer without my permission

I have just read yet another posting of someone on Facebook having their CO alarm sounding with no fire alight, traced to a bucket of ash kept in the boat. I think that is 3 this month alone.

Edited by ditchcrawler

15 minutes ago, Dyertribe said:

Briefly met Carly Simon in the Seventies ,I looked after 2 Boats for WEA Records who she was signed to .her Speaking Voice was Smooth and Mellow ,Nice Lady.

32 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I have just read yet another posting of someone on Facebook having their CO alarm sounding with no fire alight, traced to a bucket of ash kept in the boat. I think that is 3 this month alone.

Why would someone even think of doing that is beyond me,  I put it in a bucket outside the side hatch.

Scary how little people know the dangers.

My CO alarms did go off once in the back bedroom but it turned out to be a marina full of Smokey chimneys. (That's not good either)

Had a boat breasted off ours with a petrol genny under the rear cruiser deck, exhaust exiting on the opposite side from our boat close to the waterline. Stern to stern. Rear hatches closed.

After 10 minutes of running, our CO alarm in the saloon 30 feet down the boat went off. It took ages with all the doors and windows open to clear the air and stop the alarm.

Glad we had an alarm and we were not sleeping.

52 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

Had a boat breasted off ours with a petrol genny under the rear cruiser deck, exhaust exiting on the opposite side from our boat close to the waterline. Stern to stern. Rear hatches closed.

After 10 minutes of running, our CO alarm in the saloon 30 feet down the boat went off. It took ages with all the doors and windows open to clear the air and stop the alarm.

Glad we had an alarm and we were not sleeping.

Good job you were not relying on the fact that both boats had a current BSS Certificate to keep you safe from harm.

I assume that the generator was not present when the certificate was signed. Like an MOT certificate, it is valid at the time of issue but not foolproof.

Edited by LadyG

Whats scary in retrospect was our first boat a 1978 coalcraft had,

a catalytic heater

a steel top

gas lights

no vents in doors

no roof vents

a petrol generator stored next to the engine under the deck 

an aerosol fire extinguisher

paloma unvented.

parafin tilly lamps ( pressure)

we were 22 years old how did we survive all those hazards....

11 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

a catalytic heater

a steel top

gas lights

no vents in doors

no roof vents

paloma unvented.

Those were the days, no H&S, no MOT, no VAT.

The simple life.

23 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

a catalytic heater

a steel top

gas lights

no vents in doors

no roof vents

paloma unvented.

Do you remember the old Queen then? Was she really very small?

3 hours ago, LadyG said:

Good job you were not relying on the fact that both boats had a current BSS Certificate to keep you safe from harm.

I assume that the generator was not present when the certificate was signed. Like an MOT certificate, it is valid at the time of issue but not foolproof.

Deflection doesn’t negate earlier misinformation my dear. 

WOMEN!

;)

14 hours ago, Greyladyx said:

How come they were well stinjee with the blue nobbly ones.?

Maybe my mum got their first.  (Cow)lol

Cos someone has to stick them likkle blue things on.....it takes ages

Edited by rusty69

5 hours ago, LadyG said:

Petrol generators are allowed under the BSS you just have to store the petrol correctly, all of it.

On 15/12/2018 at 00:17, Greyladyx said:

Why would someone even think of doing that is beyond me,  I put it in a bucket outside the side hatch.

Scary how little people know the dangers.

My CO alarms did go off once in the back bedroom but it turned out to be a marina full of Smokey chimneys. (That's not good either)

Fair comment, and it is scary, but why should people know about CO. It is not a subject of formal training. Things are picked up by chance.

Even people involved in work where CO could be present have surprisingly limited knowledge of the finer points of CO physiology.

1 hour ago, Horace42 said:

Even people involved in work where CO could be present have surprisingly limited knowledge of the finer points of CO physiology.

That includes me. Could you outline some of the physiology please? Even just the coarse points would be interesting and helpful. You're right, we get NO training on the physiology, just the processes creating CO. 

Many thanks.

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

That includes me. Could you outline some of the physiology please? Even just the coarse points would be interesting and helpful. You're right, we get NO training on the physiology, just the processes creating CO. 

Many thanks.

Here’s my two penorth as a haematologist:

The body is designed to use carbon dioxide (CO2) as a carrier of oxygen via  haemoglobin as oxyhemoglobin which readily gives up its oxygen to the cells where its needed.

Carbon MONoxide (CO) forms carboxyhaemoglobin when in contact with haemoglobin and it is 200 times more difficult to separate from haemoglobin. 

This means that if you have inhaled lots of CO your cells are deprived of the oxygen they need to work which is why you die. 

Carboxyhaemoglobin is a very bright “cherry red” colour which gives victims of CO poisoning a very healthy complexion. 

If you are found to have CO poisoning and aren’t dead yet, breathing pure oxygen, preferably in a hyperbaric chamber, may save your life, as may exchange transfusion where they remove your cells and replace them with transfused cells. 

MAY is the operative word. 

• Greenie 2
  • Horror 1

8 hours ago, Dyertribe said:

The body is designed to use carbon dioxide (CO2) as a carrier of oxygen via  haemoglobin as oxyhemoglobin which readily gives up its oxygen to the cells where its needed.

Eh???  Oxyhemoglobin carries an O2 molecule from the lungs to the cell where it swaps it for a CO2 molecule to take away from the cell to the lungs for exhalation. I wouldn’t describe the CO2 as an oxygen carrier.

• Greenie 1