CO Warning. Be careful out there

mrsmelly

Featured Posts

10 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Yes I sometimes think this too. I actually made my own Hilda Ogden flight of ducks back in the 80s as I couldn't buy thems nowhere back then. No ebay!

A bit like quartz clocks. Peeps put them in all manner of posh and fancy constructions which generally look nicer than the little black box with a battery in the back that IS the clock.

Watch the sky in the future. If a Chinese business man with a good imagination spots my post, expect flights of these alarms homing in to this land, and indeed migrating throughout the whole wide world. No need to ship them in containers or by air cargo which might make them sea or air sick, they'll fly in their own time, which will make them much cheeper, or even free of charge. Quack, quack!!.

3 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Watch the sky in the future. If a Chinese business man with a good imagination spots my post, expect flights of these alarms homing in to this land, and indeed migrating throughout the whole wide world. No need to ship them in containers or by air cargo which might make them sea or air sick, they'll fly in their own time, which will make them much cheeper, or even free of charge. Quack, quack!!.

Why not knock up some meccano prototypes and send em off?

32 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Indeed it did. That was technique being tested out for the first time. It was a bit flakey but worked quite well. 

I find putting certain individuals on ignore works quite well, particularly when they are trying to provoke another fight. I have never really believed in using it in the past but have found one particular poster and now another with whom it works very well.

Of course when somebody quotes them one can still see their drivel of course but It's good to read them sometimes as they get into a bit of a spin because one doesn't respond.

I should add - It also cuts a lot of threads down to size as the posters concerned seem to fill them up with extraneous irrelevant gibberish meaning sometimes its quite hard to see the relevant info.

Edited by MJG

14 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

CO is usualy produced when the fuel is not smoking. Thats the problem with it, a smoking and burning properly fire doesnt produce lots of co that is produced when combustion is incomplete and fuel is barely smouldering. People die in tents camping in the summer because they bring barbecues into the tent thinking its burnt out and co kills them overnight.

The presence of smoke and smell is a warning sign that CO is present - and ignored at peril. Don't assume no smoke or smell means no CO. 

CO is produced at all times of combustion of carbon based products - enough to kill in an unventilated, space especially if confined like a boat cabin.

The absence of smoke or smell is no safeguard against CO, and even when smell is present the olfactory nerves become accustomed to smell and the brain ignores it.

And worse if exposed to CO long enough, it is likely the brain will then ignore everything - forever.

34 minutes ago, Horace42 said:

CO is produced at all times of combustion of carbon based products - enough to kill in an unventilated, space especially if confined like a boat cabin.

Frankly this bit is hardly true. Fine to warn people about risks but best not to make stuff up to excagerate one’s case.

Yes CO is produced in microscopic quantities by a correctly running gas burner but such quantities will not kill you once mixed in the large volume of cabin air. Or even if you breathed it neat. Your comments really only apply to solid fuel appliances. 

• Greenie 2

2 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Frankly this bit is hardly true. Fine to warn people about risks but best not to make stuff up to excagerate one’s case.

Yes CO is produced in microscopic quantities by a correctly running gas burner but such quantities will not kill you once mixed in the large volume of cabin air. Or even if you breathed it neat. Your comments really only apply to solid fuel appliances. 

I'm not convinced, we used to use the burners on the gas stove to warm the boat cabin which had no vents, I think it would have killed us if left on all night. There was less oxygen. We need oxygen.

Edited by LadyG

59 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I'm not convinced, we used to use the burners on the gas stove to warm the boat cabin which had no vents, I think it would have killed us if left on all night. There was less oxygen. We need oxygen.

Have it your way then. Keep spreading the mis-information.